Sign in to follow this  
Guest andrekr

Being on track...

Guest andrekr

During flights I'm noticing in the Navigation display that the heading pointer moves out of the "north" and that the current track value becomes incorrect. So for example when I set the autopilot to heading 125 and the real heading is correct (as checked using String-Z, in the navigation display it shows maybe "122" and the heading pointer not "at top". Such changes are mostly within +/- 5 degrees range from the real value. Is this correct? If yes, is there any way to either manually or automatically (like key "B" for the current altimeter setting) synchronize the magnetic and "real" values?Thanks much & Happy Easter to all of you- Andre

Hi Andre,remember, your navigation display, while in MAP mode, is in "TRK UP" mode, that means that the compass rose shows your track, not heading!Track is the same as heading if the wind's crosswind component is 0.If you have a wind that is blowing from left to right, your track will be higher than your heading.Assuming the autopilot is in CMD and you are in HDG mode, the autopilot will try to maintain the heading selected in the MCP. Therefore, you will most definetly see a difference in your ND as, as I said, your track will only be the same as your heading if you have no cross wind.Regards,Mark

Mark Foti

Author of aviaworx - https://www.aviaworx.com

logo_avsim.png

Guest andrekr

Ouch :-grr ... yep, that makes sense. LOL, I even was wondering why I noticed it lately more than before (due to some problems I had to reinstall FS and all addons), now I know why. Before the reinstall I tested the new PMDG planes and framerates etc... to get them as high as possible I only flew using "clear" weather conditions. After the reinstall, I now switched back to my "default" settings - which means real weather...and the weather during the last days here in the south of Germany was really challenging ...lol... Thanks much- Andre