Sign in to follow this  
Guest groudon39

FSNAV to PMDG Flight Plan Export and VNAV Problems

Guest groudon39

Hi everyone,I am using the FSNAV to PMDG flight plan export module that I downloaded off of the PMDG site. I've been in contact with the author of it and he referred me to this forum to get a better answer for my troubles I'm having.Here are the steps I'm taking when exporting the plan into the FMC1. Plot out my FP in FSNAV and then save it. 2. Export that FP in the route format into the PMDG FP folder.3. Turn on the FMC and load up the Init. Ref, flap settings, speeds and everything else needed to take off including the FP itself.4. Start rolling down the runway and takeoff, then activate the AP, LNAV and VNAV buttons in the MCP5. Once I get in the air, the MCP has a speed of 250knts, and a target altitude of FL100.6. It won't let me go any higher unless I manually turn the adjustment knobs on the MCP to the desired altitude/speed I want instead of the VNAV doing it as per the programming in the FMC.7. The LNAV works, it tracks the FP and all of the waypoints I have selected in FSNAV, but it will not go to the altitude set by the FMC or the speed set by the FMC at that specific waypoint.Please if you know what I'm doing wrong, let me know. I'm to the point of beating myself senseless trying to get this to work. Just my luck it's probably something simple I'm overlooking or something like that. If you need anymore info about what I'm doing to try to fix this, please don't hessitate to ask. Thank you and I look forward to hearing what you have to say about it. groudon39

Guest Buck Bolduc

I usually set max altitude in the dialog box in the FSNav flight plan menu. Then I generaly enter the originating airport along with it's SID, then the destination airport with it's STAR. Then I autogenerate and save it both in FS2004 AND PMDG as an .rte plan. If the wind is wrong at the destination I may change runways and Stars with the FMC.If you set 34000 in the altitude box in fsnav it should give you the 34000 as a max in the FMC. It works for me. When you restart fs9 hit the load FP button, find you FP, all your waypoint etc. are the same as whats loaded into the FMC.Regards

Guest Ray CYYZ

I think if you export it directly to PMDG format you might need to leave out the crossing altitudes. (there's two little check boxes, think leave them unchecked)Ray

Guest aaron_huber

I don't think I noticed this before in the email we exchanged, but item 5 that you listed indicates something is wrong. When you enable VNAV mode, the MCP readout for airspeed should go blank (indicating that the speed is set by the FMC).At what altitude and configuration are you enabling VNAV?Aaron

Guest groudon39

Ok,I'll try to explain this in a little more detail but it will be a lengthy post. (sorry)1. After exporting and loading my flight plan or even making one from scratch in the FMC and loading it up, I take off and activate the AP, LNAV, and VNAV buttons in the MCP. The speed display goes out but the altitude still says FL100 in the MCP.2. The aircraft will follow the flight path that I have programmed in or loaded into the FMC, but once it reaches 250knts and FL100 it just stays there, it doesn't go any faster or any higher. The gear is up and the flaps are up as well, so I'm not getting a speed restriction from either one of those variables. This is causing my whole altitude/speed timing to get out of whack and messes up the flight plan as well. Do I need to change anything in the MCP before taking off and activating the AP. I am lost, I've stayed up all night trying to figure it out and I'm still stumped. I've read through all the manuals/tutorials I have and I'm at a loss. Shouldn't the FMC regulate the speed and altutude at which you cross the waypoints you have loaded/programmed into it. It has the speed/altitude data in the legs page of the FMC so I know that it's in there, but the VNAV just isn't going to it. If you need anymore information about this problem, don't hessitate to ask. Thanks, groudon39

Guest Ray CYYZ

Oh! That has nothing to do with your flight plan.The MCP controls work WITH your FMC plan. The FMC will not override what the MCP is set to.Since your MCP Altitude is set to 10,000 feet, you will level out there and stay there. Since the speed limit for 10,000 or less is 250 knots, you will also maintain that speed.If you want to fly higher, you need to set your cruise altitude in the FMC higher AND set your MCP to the new cruise altitude.Once you climb above the 10,000 foot limit, your speed will switch to > 10,000 feet levels.You need to read up on the Climb/Cruise/Descent phases of flight. It should help your understanding a bit better.Ray

Guest groudon39

Oh, I knew it was something simple I was overlooking. Thanks RayNow one more thing, Let's say that my cruise altitude is FL320 in the FMC. What do I set my MCP altitude to? FL320 or something else? I didn't quite understand what you meant about setting the altitudes in the FMC and the MCP differently.Thanks again, groudon39

Guest aaron_huber

For a typical flight, you would set the MCP to whatever altitude you are cleared for by ATC. For example:1) Set the cruise altitude in the FMC.2) Set the MCP altitude to whatever your initial clearance is (ex. 8,000ft).3) When you hit the altitude set on the MCP, the plane will level out and VNAV will kick off and set you to altitude hold mode.4) When you get a clearance to a higher altitude, set the MCP to the cleared altitude and re-engage VNAV.5) When you reach your cruise altitude (as set on the MCP and FMC) the plane will level and you will stay in VNAV mode.6) Before your TOD point, you have to manually reset the MCP altitude to a lower altitude to allow the plane to descend (usually to whatever altitude you are cleared to by ATC). The plane will not descend if you don't lower the MCP altitude, and it will only descend to the altitude you specify. The FMC will prompt you to change the MCP value a few minutes before it's calculated TOD.Aaron

Guest Ray CYYZ

Ok, the simple version: (Please keep in mind that Vnav mode is the most complex part of the autopilot system and half the pilots don't get it)When you are setting up your planned Altitude, enter 10000 for your cruise altitude.This will keep Vnav happy and you unconfused for now.Once you get up to 10000 and level off, your FMC will be in Active Cruise instead of Active Climb. This changeover from Climb to Cruise will normally happen much later, but this will make it simple for you because Vnav will not kick off at the 10000 mark.Once you have levelled off at 10000, bring up your FMC panel and select the cruise button.On it, you will see your cruise altitude shown. With this FMC page up, you can now use the Altitude dial on the MCP to set a higher altitude.As you increase the dial setting, you will see it is also updating the bottom line in the FMC.Once you have dialed the altitude you want in, click on the Line Select Key beside the Cruise Altitude. It will transfer this bottom line into the Cruise Altitude (known as Up Selecting).The Exec button will now light up. Press it to confirm your new altitude. You will now climb up to this altitude without ever having Vnav kick off on you.Ray

Guest groudon39

Ok, guys thanks.I think I got it now. I appreciate your help with this everyone. I'm glad that there are people out there that know what they are doing and take the time out to help people who don't. LOLThanks again, groudon39