Sign in to follow this  
Guest benw

Glideslope! Glidescope!

Guest benw

Does anybody else have the GPWS screaming at them when they're perfectly on the glideslope?Like this fully manual landing at Shannon in the 737-700, why does the VASI show me as on the money, but the GS and the GPWS saying otherwise? I'm puzzled...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/70616.jpgBen:-eek

Guest tmetzinger

>Like this fully manual landing at Shannon in the 737-700, why>does the VASI show me as on the money, but the GS and the GPWS>saying otherwise? I'm puzzled...In quite a few airports, the glideslope and the VASI don't align, particularly when the GS is set for something other than the standard 3 degrees.Always fly the needles, not the VASI - you're doing an instrument approach, not a visual one.

Guest wee_davie_2612

Hey Ben,Tim, I think it's more to do with the viewpoint rather than alingment, after all I doubt default airports have this sort of misalignment built in.As Tim says, always fly the needles. You will notice that you will end up, on short finals, with four (4) white lights on the PAPIs. This always happens to me when on approach, infact I've never had it any other way with the NGs.To double check this for yourself go into spot view directy behind the aircraft (number pad 2 is the default key I think) while flying visually as shown in your pic above. It will probably give the same indications that the needles are showning i.e. your way low.Repeat the process while flying the needles, you will note that the PAPIs now show correctly from spot view.It's all down to the view point in the cockpit. It needs to be altered to give you the impression that you are looking out the front end of a 737. The downside is that the visual clues used in landing are out of whack.CheersDavid

Guest benw

David and Tim, many thanks for your speedy replies. I shall fly the needles from now on!Ben

The glideslope also gets extremely sensitive as you get closer. A very small move can move it up and down.

Guest LLgaz

I have no addon scenery installed so I can confirm that this happens with default airports as well.I can also confirm that it is not only restricted to the NG.....happens with other aircraft too. Always puzzled me but your explanation about the viewpoint makes sense.Guess now I'll just use the glideslope needle and ignore the VASI.

Guest wee_davie_2612

Hey Anthony,Some airplanes are worse than others, it just depends on how much the veiwpoint is edited. A bit of a pain in the a$$ but what can you do :)CheersDavid