Sign in to follow this  
Guest Steve Keating

800/900 FMC

Guest Steve Keating

Will the new FMC contain a "RAD NAV" page and have Autotune for the NAV1 & 2?

Guest boxjockey99

GuysRAD NAV I believe is an Airbus term, try the FIX page if that is what you are after, it will do something similar. The radio stack on the 300 has an autotune facility so I expect the NG does too. This allows the FMC to select its choice of DME/VOR stations in order to update it's position. The Dreamfleet B737-400 had this feature so I was a little surprised it wasn't implemented in the PMDG aircraft.Note the B737 will not automatically select the ILS as far as I am aware, certainly on the 300 you need to set that manually in the Com box and this becomes active when you move from AUTO tune to MANUAL!Hope that helpsKris

Guest Valid_Andy

ohohohhhooooohohooooKris! Your from Leeds?:D Are you a Jet2 733 Driver:P I think you based at my local, and I've prolly seen you flying as I'm up at the BMX track at the runway 14 end nearly every weekend! Whoah...thats scary. Give us a wave if your not busy haha:PWhaaaaaa thats scaryEDIT: Kris is there any chance you may be able to do me a favour in the future? I'm currently modelling a 737-300 to -500 in gMax...Would love to know some information about the external parts of the plane if possible:P

Guest boxjockey99

AndyYes I am a Jet2 driver in Leeds although I am a new boy and currently awating line training after having cut my teeth on the F27. Yes no problem getting you piccies etc of the aircraft, just tell me what you need and I'll get some for you when I do my walkaround! Hope that helpsKris

Guest boxjockey99

I don't profess to be an NG expert having only gotten the 3/4/500 series on my license but it does seem a step back to not have this feature, out of interest how does the FMC continually update its position if not for the autotune facility provided on the classic EFIS models? I expect it is coupled to the GPS which we don't have on the Classic but I'd like to know as I may end up flying one in the next few years! I did check some piccies I had of NG flight descks and the AUT/MANUAL button is indeed missing so it would appear that you are correct I am just interested how the POS UPDATE system works if not via the DME/VOR fix system previously used. I'd use my BIll Bulfer book but my mate has it and I live several hundred miles from him! CheersKris

Guest Valid_Andy

Thanks Kris, do you have an email/msn I can contact you by? :DThis does indeed sound strange. I remember there being an automatic option on the Dreamfleet 737-300...but then again I never learnt to use it too well. It does sound like a step backwards!

Guest Lenny Zaman

Hey Kris,it IS a stepback... don't ask my why but it is non-existant in the NG,perhaps because the NG features a GPS update instead of a radio update?Cheers

Guest boxjockey99

AndyMy e-mail is belowkris.heslop@btopenworld.comKrisPS Boeing probably thought they could save some money by not putting the AUTO/MANUAL switch in, think of all the paper it saves by removing the 2 lines from the normal checklist!!

Guest wkzzo

There is no NAV RAD page , but there is a NAV STATUS page that displays how the FMC is updating , The 2 GPS receivers have first priority, if they are not available or unreliable it will resort to scanning DME/VOR, then IRS pos. So yes the FMC will auto tune VOR/DME but it is transparent to the user other than veiwing the NAV STATUS page.

Guest CS-THV

Kris,NAV RAD is not an Airbus term. 747-400/757/767 and 777 have NAV RAD pages on the FMC.

According to the BMM.... ADIRU(IRS)/GPSADIRU(IRS)/DME/DMEADIRU(IRS)/DME/VORADIRU(IRS)/DME/LOCADIRU(IRS) onlyI seem to recall that the ADIRU must be operative. GPS position is used, but if the GPS position and ADIRU position vary by too much, the GPS is rejected. There is always a comparison check being carried out between the radio position and the ADIRU position.Cheers.Ian.

Kris....Just to clarify.... the NG does have DME autotune. It doesn't have VOR or ILS autotune however (but the FMC can use manually tuned VOR and ILS's to update its position).I also thought it strange that the NG went backwards on VOR autotune.Cheers.Ian.P.S. A big hello to Leeds (me mum came from there) :-)

Guest Steve Keating

Thanks guys, good input.I thought it might have been a customer fit(i.e. optional). One question though, if the FMS is transparentlly tuning the VOR/DME's how can the pilots tune them as well? How does the FMS know or decide who has control? :-hmmm