Sign in to follow this  
Guest andrekr

differences in flying a winglet vs. non-winglet version

Guest andrekr

What are the differences or advantages/disadvantages in flying a winglet or non-winglet version of the B737-700?For example is it more difficult to fly a winglet version while having heavy and maybe rapidly changing crosswinds?Are those differences are also implemented in the PMDG simulated version or is it there just a matter of design (different look)?- Andre

The winglets are to reduce vortex and hence drag. When the air flows over the wing, it is swept toward the edge. Because of the shape of the wing, the air on top of the wing is a lower pressure than that underneath. At the edge of the wing, there air spills over the edge, which is waht causes vortex wake. It also causes drag. Winglets simply stop alot of this air from spilling over, in order to reduce the drag on the aircraft.Shouldn't make any difference on cross wind landings, because they are just to small. The wind that doesn't hit the winglets will hit the body of the aircraft anyway.-Phil

Guest Iz

Phil, the version with winglets is noticably tougher to land in a strong crosswind condition.

Guest AlohaPilot

AlohaPilotI have found little difference in flying the actual winglet aircraft vs straight wing -700. The demonstrated crosswind landing is only 2 knots less, tho we do realize 3-5 % fuel savings crossing the Pacific out of Honolulu.Also, we can lift more off short Burbank and Santa Ana runways on hot days....better performance.But, little if any difference flying the airplane.Now, if I can just learn to operate this sim!!!AlohaRobert MorrisonCapt Aloha Airlines.

Iz,please sign your name as per PMDG forum rules.The winglet version is a option for the 700/800 versions of the 737.It not only reduces drag but makes it more fuel effecient thus giving a longer range. The crosswinds should make little difference in the landing characteristics of the aircraft.Cheers,

Ehm Travis,Iz actually flies the NG for a living so maybe its a good idea for desktop pilots to prove their "knowledge" and "experience"?(or do you fly the bird for real?)Regards,Mark

Mark Foti

Author of aviaworx - https://www.aviaworx.com

logo_avsim.png

Is there a difference in fuel flow between NG's with and without winglets in the PMDG version ? Thomas

Ehm Mark, I don't know "Iz" personally so I would have no idea to what he or she does for a day job....and since he or she didn't abide by forum rules and post his or her name, then I can't address him or her correctly.Secondly my response to this question was based on my "knowledge and experience" with flying the NG in both the winglet version and non-winglet version within flight simulation, as this is what this forum is about.Thirdly I have over a 1,000 hours in a 700, 700WL ,800 and 800WL NG (combined) in which I have felt very little difference in handling characteristics on windy days in whatever direction. A crosswind is a crosswind........Lastly, are you "Iz's" big brother/sister??? can they not reply themselves?? or do you feel it is your responsibilty to post as much as you can? Can't understand why.......or maybe I can.Anyway, I have been a PMDG customer since day 1, have flown the NG since it's first official release and have enjoyed every minute of it.All the best,

side note :::: just so no one gets their BIG noses out of joint:those hours were as a passenger :(However quite a number of them were spent in the jumpseat :)I have, however, at the ripe ol' age of 30, started my CPL training and loving every minute of the 1 hour so far......lol.Cheers,

Travis,It's not about being anyone's guardian, but Iskander happens to be a very knowledgeable fellow in both simulators and real flying. I'm fairly sure that in our little virtual cliques real pilots are sometimes given undue respect merely out of the fact that they fly for real. However, Iskander isn't one of those real pilots who despise flight simulation and consider us simmers just computer geeks with ridiculous dreams, and that's what I respect him for.regards,Tero

PPL(A)

Hey TravisI live between the Gold Coast and Brisbane and although not working as a Pilot I have a Commercial licence with 400 hours, The NG is an awesome produce so much so I am going to do some hours in a full motion 737-700 Sim in BrisbaneRegardsWayne

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

ok....obviously some misunderstanding. I don't know "Iskander". I only asked him/her to obide by forum rules and post their real name in the message body. The remainder of my message was not directed at this person, but was just offering some (what I thought might be) helpful information, in addition to what was already being offered.In addition, I don't believe I was contradicting anything that was already being said other than my own personal experiences on the FD of an NG.Regards,