Sign in to follow this  
Epikk

APU Fuel Logic...

Hi David>I would like to see it reimplemented aswell. The whole idea of>a aircraft like this is to go for realism, the APU having no>effect on the fuel quantity isn't realistic.Just as a sidenote here. Usually at bigger airports you have ground facilities for electricity. APU is used for AC while boarding and for starting the engines. The time the APU actually runs is roughly 15 minutes or so. Now, the APU has a fuel consumption of 225 to 280 pph depending on load, so the average fuel burn for the APU would be 63.15 lbs or 28.7 kg. Not to much considering the total fuel burn for a flight.To me this is not a big issue, but sure it would be neat to have, even if the impact on fuel is minimal.Cheers,Mats

Guest wee_davie_2612

Hey Mats,I don't doubt that it would hardly be noticed. Over here in the UK, however, many of the carriers are low cost carriers that have fast turn around times (30 Mins). These carriers often rely only on the APU during stop overs. Add to that, say, approx 10mins between starting the APU, taxiing to the gate (most do this so that the APU has plenty of time to stabalise, AOM recommends a min of 2mins before full load is applied)and shutting down the engines. Then add another 2-5 mins for cool down and shut down.So going with the figures you posted that's 45mins @ 250pph = 187lbs Granted that is still a drop in the ocean comparably, but more significant than 60lbs.It doesn't really bother me too much, I'd just like it to be added for the sake of realism :)CheersDavid

>>To me this is not a big issue, but sure it would be neat to>have, even if the impact on fuel is minimal.goto say im with mats on this one... with every thing else the way it is do i really need to list?! the fact the a few kgs of fuel havent dissapeared from the fuel tanks isnt going to cause me any problems.i Must say working for one of the bigger UK Carriers, in the department that produces the fuel figures for flights we never plan for apu burn, we all know how big the CAA are on saftey and im sure if this was a problem we would have to plan for this.Just a thought"Lairy"Liam Reynolds

Liam Reynolds - EGNS

sig_smaller.jpg

Youtube Channel

Guest Matthew Murray

More fuel will be lost from the tanks when you over-rotate than from use of the APU on the ground lolSeriously, I can see this digress into a topic of when to use the APU again, but what if we, erm...loose one of those nice IDG's, and we have to crank the ol' APU Generator up to pick-up the load, fuel useage will be important then, especially on some of the longer tirps I like to fly??

[P CLASS=style1] Matthew Murray [/P][P][sPAN CLASS=style1]-|www.precisionmanuals.com|-[bR][/sPAN]

http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg[/P]