Sign in to follow this  
Guest jrowsell

PMDG Hardware Dilema - Need Opinion

Guest jrowsell

Hi Everyone,I'm in a dilema regarding a hardware upgrade. I've researched numberous articles and web sites and I figure that this forum would probably be the best place to get information regarding this since so many of you have upgraded or are running good hardware for PMDG on fs2004. I value the opinions of other experienced PMDG simmers.BTW: I just purchased the PMDG 600/700 product a couple weeks ago and it is absolutey an awesome product! Can't wait for the 800/900 product.I'm on a limited budget right now and not sure whether to upgrade my processor or video card to achieve better FPS in PMDG. Currently, PMDG is playable but not to the frame rate I'd like. I have AA on running 1024x768x32bit and have most if my display settings on medium low and medium high.Here are my system specs:P4800S motherboard2.4 CELERON CPU1 Gig of memory (333Mhz DDR Ram)Asus Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 128MB DDR20 Gig drive at 7200 RPM.CH Products USB Yoke and Pedals.The Dilema:1) Upgrade the Video Card to a ATI 9600XT or PRO, or Nvidia FX 5700. OR2) Upgrade the CPU to a P4 2.8 or 3.0 Gig HT and leave my existing video the FX 5200.Not sure which would have the best result. I realize the fx 5200 is the entry level video card and that is why I'm thinking I should up the video card. Having said that my CPU is 2.4 gig but I suppose I'm suffering on the bus speed and cache since it's only a Celeron.Any recommendations? What should I do in this situation? I value your opinions. I know upgrading both would be "ideal" but both is not in the budget at the moment.Thanks in advance,Jeff

Guest ZIACargo

I would go for the CPU Upgrade

Guest Ray CYYZ

Not that simple. A CPU upgrade could also involve memory replacement, new motherboard, new power supply.Check into the specifics of what you have. Based on your CPU being pretty much a lightweight, a faster video card will be likely to just kill your machine.Ray

Guest Matthias1975

In fact, upgrading a system is a dilema. If you upgrade just the CPU the your video card is gonna be the bottleneck and vice versa.Now that you said you are on low budged I would first turn off the AA. That

Guest Boaz

You know you have 2.4Gigs...The jump to 3.0gigs will not give you what I think you want...ATI RADEON 9800 PRO is tested here:http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031023/nvidia-nv38-nv36-40.htmlPLease look at the diff between your graphics card and the ATI 9800 pro!!Even better buy the XT version...And some RAMS...I think you will see quite an improvement!Now I have an AMD XP 1900+ and that lil graph card sure helped me!I am waiting for a double up at least in CPU before I upgrade it!So I am waiting for an AMD 4000...I remember how little diff 900 or less makes if you don't have a graph card like mentioned above...Boaz...Boaz...