Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stefan Bergert

Appr-page: rwy/ILS info display during non-prec. appr

Guest Stefan Bergert

Hi altogether!When performing an ILS-appr, the approach-page of the FMC gives you quite some info:ICAO RWYrwy length ft/mtrAPPR type RWY (e.g. ILS 15)freq /courseSo how does the info look like when you fly a non-precision approach? I assume the first stuff looks the same (airport, which rwy, rwy-info)? But in a NDB-appr, you will not have a freq (or is the NDB's freq. displayed?) nor is it an ILS (so it might show NDB 15?)...My UA737 manual wasn't that helpfull ;-)BTW: I know it's just a small detail, but the large details are already known *g*Best regards,Stefan Bergert

Guest Boaz

You mean in the real jet or in the sim?If in the sim why don't you just recreate it?Also most non precision app are VOR or NDB guided, so in the FMC, if someone has created one for that airport, there are noumerous approaches to choose from, ILS, CAT, VOR, NDB and so on...I think that the VOR freq will be listed, but I use charts and don't really look at the info in the APP page except for the APP speeds...But set up the FMC with alt points on the app that match the ones on the charts and correct the V/S according to the FMC G/S on the ND and then hand fly from 1000 feet +/- houndred feet of you choice...Boaz...

Guest Stefan Bergert

>You mean in the real jet or in the sim?>If in the sim why don't you just recreate it?I mean in the real 737NG>Also most non precision app are VOR or NDB guided, so in the>FMC, if someone has created one for that airport, there are>noumerous approaches to choose from, ILS, CAT, VOR, NDB and so>on...Yes, but that was not my question - I also know that there are RNAV and GPS approaches and LocBackcourse etc. ...>I think that the VOR freq will be listed, but I use charts and>don't really look at the info in the APP page except for the>APP speeds...You THINK that the VOR freq will be listed...Anybody sure? (maybe a real 737 driver or a guy with an excellent AOM?)Thanks for your feedback and your advice on how to make a non-prec. appr with V/S (still, that's not the topic and I knew it already ;)Stefan Bergert

Guest wkzzo

If you enter GPS,RNAV,VOR or NDB, RNWY legnth is still displayed but APPR type and FREQ/COURSE is blank.

Guest Boaz

Well I am sorry for not pleasing you young man!But I tried to answer what I could, as I didn't know if you meant SIM or REAL LIFE, you could eliminate such replies in the future if you would clarify that before packing a reply with quotes that you comment...I can only help you with the sim as I am NOT a certified commercial NG pilot...I am sorry but do remember to clarify if you mean virtual or real...airliners.net has a technical forum with real pilots or mechanics...Boaz...

Guest Stefan Bergert

@ Boaz:Sorry - was a bit angry because of the explanation of the non-prec. approaches and how one could fly them with V/S etc while this was something I already knew and I didn't ask in this topic (though it's really hepfull in general). (BTW: I didn't understand the "young man" stuff??) I will be more clear concerning sim or real life in the future - thanks for the hint.@ Wallace:Thanks very much - that was what I was looking for. So obviously no further info for the pilot what type of non-prec. approach he's flying (at least not in the FMC Appr-page). Where do you know that from?Best regards,Stefan

Guest Boaz

Well the "young man" was simply because I felt like an adult telling a child to calm down, just me being interpersonal...I understand your frustration because of my reply, but that is why I wanted to explain why I answered it the way I did.Boaz...