Sign in to follow this  

Frustrated and about to give up...

I really find it hard to believe that ANYONE has this sim running without lockups. Briefly: I had lockup problems and got a brand new computer: AMD 1400 Thunderbird using a GeForce3 64, 256 RAM. I still had the same problems. Lockups while moving windows, lockups adjusting the radio stack, lockups in weather.I got another stick of RAM; up to 512. I've tried different video drivers, from 23.11, to 29.42...at least four. I've used utilities suggested by some very helpful people on this site to remove the old, clean the registry and install the new ones.I've used MBProbe to monitor the CPU temp and it seems to be around 106-112 F.; barely hot to the touch.I've searched the archives, gone to websites and read other posts. I might not have the ideal combination of video card chip and motherboard, but it's a moving target. You guys aren't using what you were 6 or 9 months ago. When I bought the GeForce 3, it was top-of-the-line. I can't believe I need a GeForce 4 and all of my problems will magically go away. C'mon.I must have restarted my system 40 times the other night doing a selective startup trying to find a .vxd or ghost app that was causing a conflict. And it seemed to run alright with nothing else loaded...no win.ini, no system.ini, but why should I have to do that? I've tweaked the .cfg file to max my swap file and there's 1.5 gig free.I just went to set up a nice IFR flight that I could fly often and while adjusting the radios, it locked up again.I just can't believe that anyone can load this game and fly it. And one shouldn't have to spend days...weeks messing around with it.What am I missing? Could my copy of FS2002 be lockup prone? That's hard to believe. It installed without a hitch, full load on my HD.Specs: Abit KG7-RAID AMD761 SOCKET A DDR Motherboard512 PC2100 DDR 266 MHz Non-Parity RAMGeForce3 64 mb Video card (23.11, 29.42, 21.83, OEM)Brand new CH Flight Sim USB yokeCreative SoundcardI'm asking for help, but am grasping at straws. I'm this close to just not believing that it runs lockup free on anyone's machine.

Well I have sympathy for you but have to tell you that FS2K2 can run withouts any problems, I for instance run it everyday without a problem and that's with all the sliders set to max.So if we assume the program is not at fault you have to look at other parts of your system.Lockups or freezes in most instances can be related to memory problems, you don't say if your over clocking your card or CPU but if you are, you should drop them down to normal and start from there.Creative sound cards are renowned for causing IRQ conflicts, you may try moving your card to another slot to find a better IRQ combination.I don't know what OS your running but you should check DX settings and make sure you have all relevant patches.The Video drivers you mention are okay but the latest certified drivers on the nVidia site are better.So do you get these lock up with any other programs? have you run a burn in test with SIS Sandra or similar program? memory can be a big problem especially if it is only part bad, it works fine until loaded then bang.So good luck with your quest - however you'll have to remove the program as part of you problems as it does work fine.

Hi, Rob, I don't know if you have considered the following, but maybe the problem is coming from some third-party addon or conflict?I would suggest the following to see if this is the case: Re-instate the original install copies of the following folder/file (after backing up the current ones):FS2002aircraft folderFS2002scenery.cfg fileThis will effectively and temporarily remove added sceneries and aircraft to allow you to zoom in on the problem.Hope this helps.

make sure you have the lastest 4 n 1 drivers from via if you have a VIA chipset.Current is 4.40.I have run FS2002 since day one without a problem.I keep all my drivers current and make sure my register is clean.I also use windows update on a regular basis to make sure iam not missing any major updates.I hope this helps Richard Dillon KATLSr First Officer www.jetstarairlines.com"Bill Grabowski's"ERJ-145 panel Beta TeamMD-11 panel Beta Team____________________________"Lets Roll" 9/11 Specs AMD 1600 XP 512MB DDR GF3 ti 200 64MB SBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 SP2

Does the system ever lock-up on anything other than Direct-3D apps? or is FS2002 the only thing you run thats D3D? Does it ever lock-up on the desktop or while browsing, etc. If FS2002 is your only D3D app, try running something like 3DMARK2001se from madonion.com and see if that locks-up, too (I'm guessing it will).The KG-7 uses a via chipset. AMD-VIA-GeForce combos are notoriously difficult to get stable in 3D apps, but the two big culprits are:1) Go to viatech.com and download the latest 4-in-1 drivers. What you specifically need is the current viagart.vxd for your OS.2) This combo is extremely power sensitive. If you don't have at least a 300watt power supply, you haven't got a chance of it running stable.Also be sure your sound drivers are current.It CAN work! But it can certainly be frustrating. It took me several weeks to get my first Athlon system to settle down. Like you, there were times I thought the *#*&% thing would NEVER work. Try the newsgroup alt.comp.mainboards.abit - someone has probably had the same problems and already figured it out. I found the advice on usenet invaluable in getting my system stable.Good luck! :-beerchug

Guest SD Sim

Hi Rob,Since you have the same problem on two different computers, I'm going to take the road less traveled and suggest that your problem may actually be related to your copy of the software. If you cannot take it back to the point of purchase for a replacement, then perhaps a call to Microsoft will help. However, I do have to agree with one suggestion, which is to try and run the software without your Creative soundcard. There have been plenty of instances where MSFS problems were ultimately due to soundcard conflicts. Just take the card out and see how things go, you should be able to do without sound for a short period of time ;)

Thanks for the suggestions. It gave me a number of avenues to go off and explore.Common sense would indicate that hundreds of thousands of users are running it with no problems. That's why it's so odd that I'd have similiar problems on two radically different systems. A Pentium II 400 and an AMD t-bird 1400 (running Windows ME, by the way).Thanks everyone.

Soundblaster eh? Antoher thing to try then is to reduce sound hardware acceleration.In WinXP this is: Settings/Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices. Click the Audio tab, make sure the SB is set as Default Device and click Advanced. Select the Performance tab and then move the h/w acceleration slider one snap west.Give it a shot.../petern

Guest Heather 636

Another thing hun, and I'll probably get flamed for this, is get rid of Windows ME. Between both my brother and myself, we've only met one person who actually liked it when compared to Win98, and I believe his was strictly business oriented. Even the shop where my brother does all of his computer business would put it in ONLY if the customer insisted.I started with Win3.1, then 95, to 98, and now XP Pro. Of two people I know who who had ME for their OS, they had LOTS of problems when trying to run games on them.I hate to be accused of promoting Mr. Gates, but to give credit where credit is due, step up to XP, I highly doubt you'll regret it. At the very least, go back to 98; you can get that for next to nothing now."Okay Mr. Gates, I want my commission now."I think a lot of your problems will disappear when you do.Sincerely,Heather

I run it almost everyday with hardly any problems on a Celeron 500mhz system with 512 Sdram and a PCI video card. I ran it last weekend for 12 hours straight flying on VATSIM with no problem. Not sure why you are having so many problems. Here I am in the lovely Debonair.

I can say that I can run FS2002 with out any lockups. IMHO it can be several things 1. Bad MOBO2. Bad Ram3. Video driversI had problems with FS2k when I built my PC I tried new video drivers but FS would lock up either 5 minutes into the flight or an hour into it. It ended up being Hardware (MOBO and bad ram).John

JetLine Systems Gravity GT2-Windows 10 Home Edition (64-Bit), NZXT H500 Mid-Tower, Black, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 PRO WIFI, LGA 1151, Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900K (5.0GHz Turbo) 8 Core / 16 Thread, Corsair Hydro H60 120mm Liquid Cooling, 32GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3000MHz RGB, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, GDDR6, 750 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 5.1 Channel Realtek Integrated HD Audio, Primary SSD Drive:1TB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe PCIe (SSD), Secondary SSD Drive:2TB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe PCIe (SSD) 4TB WD Black 7200 RPM Mechanical , SimOn Solutions 737 Professional Compact Trainer (MIP, OH). CFY 737 Max Motorized TQ Gold V3, MSFS2020, ProSim 737. 45" Samsung 4K TV.

Hi,One of the last things people try and the thing that makes the most difference most of the time is your BIOS settings. Hit your BIOS and choose the "Fail Safe" settings if available, then leave your BIOS without tweaking individual settings. Try FS for a while and see if that fixed your crashes. If so, you can individually boost some settings in your BIOS until you find the culprit (or leave well enough alone, depending on your experience and patience).If I had to make an out-of-the-blue guess and based on what you've said you've already tried (drivers, etc), I'd say its FastWrites being enabled or your memory timings boosted too high. If you'd like more information on specific BIOS settings, this is a good guide:The Definitive BIOS Optimization Guide http://www.rojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz/BIOS_...Guide_Index.htmNote: The guide above is meant for those comfortable with their machines and with the skills to back out of machine lock-ups, etc. If you don't feel comfortable with that, simply choose one of the default optimizations available from your main BIOS screen.Good luck,http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/elrondlogo.gifhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif

I will second Heather on that. Since getting Windows XP, zero trouubles. I haven't had a single system freeze or crash since XP. WinME is a piece of (*&%.Also - the other post about reducing your Hardware Acceleration on the sound card is on the mark. When I had Win ME, FS2002 would lock up all the time on switching views and opening stacks. When I took the acceleration down to half, that fixed it.

Great advice from everyone here.... One other suggestion....if you can, see if you can try the app with a standard non-usb joystick--borrow one. See if there are any improvements in stability. I've heard of issues with some USB joysticks.I can't say I've never had a lockup--I got them sometimes when switching views, even though my IRQ's were unshared. My MB does have a nice feature--that of being able to force specific IRQ's for specific cards... I swapped my SBLive with the IRQ of another card, and the "view-switch" issue went away. The SBLive is one of the few cards I've run into that hates certain IRQ's, even if unshared. Due to FS's efforts to provide a stereo effect to aircraft sound, switching views does hit the soundcard IRQ....Regards,John

Thanks to all for the input. I've removed the sound card and cleaned the registry. No luck. I've installed 4in1 from Via. No luck. I've posted and read the Abit newsgroup. No obvious solution yet.I'm thinking of buying a fresh copy of FS2002 and uninstalling/reinstalling. Perhaps it's the copy I have.Also, my basic first test after tweaking is to, while on the ground in the Mooney, start adjusting the NavCom. Freezes/locks up after I've been playing with the radios for less than a minute. Not even flying.I'll look into BIOS settings and think about biting the bullet and spending $150 for Windows XP Home.Just to fill in and answer some questions: this is the only game I play...the only 3D app. I'm a real pilot (300 hours - instrument rated) and not into other games that much. I just want FS to be something I can play with, use for training and such. I don't fly heavy iron...because I never will. I use the GA planes mostly.Thanks again for the posts.