Sign in to follow this  
Guest dek

Could it be possible? Paul....a question.

Hi all. OK...Here's the deal. I have been wondering why in the world I was getting low FPS with my system (P4 2.0, 1 gig RAM, GeForce 3 ti 500, Windows XP Home). With about 80% of my settings maxed (and checked), I was getting about 12-14 FPS sitting at Meigs during the default loadup. This was very acceptable obviously, but once I went to SFO or ORD, etc. my FPS were always around 8-9. At the Simflyers DFW scenery I would get around 6. My London Airports scenery pack (God I love that scenery) had to be disabled because of me getting around 5 FPS at Heathrow. I was using the NVidia 28.xx drivers, and I read that the lower ones were better, so I got the 23.11's and installed them. Loaded up FS2K2 and voila! At Meigs I was getting around 25 FPS...SFO around 18...Heathrow around 12...and DFW around 9. How in the world was this possible, and am I dreaming? Why, pray tell, did I not do this before? I feel like the axe is gonna fall though, as I know you have to "give a little to get a little". My question is, how can a driver change make this much of a difference?Much thanks,Bobber

Guest Heather 636

Boogers if I know Bob! ;) I just fly them, but, to show my ignorance, where do you look to see what drivers are being used?I haven't touched them since first having My GeForce2 MX400 64meg installed. I would all but bet that there's something better out there now, in drivers I mean (I can't EVEN begin to think of being able to afford a new graphics card).Also, if someone can point me in the right direction, is there a way to backup the old driver in case the new one is unsatisfactory?Sorry, I know updating drivers is an important issue and, sadly to say, one I rarely tinker with. If it isn't broke, I don't fix it. On the other hand, I'm always looking for something that will improve my system performance, especially when it's something free or inexpensive, such as a simple download.Sincerely,Heather

Guest sunstriker

Heather and BobberTwo great places to visit for all manner of discussions on nvidia drivers arewww.guru3d.com and www.overclockers.co.ukbut you know that dont you?There can be substantial differences in speed and quality between sets you have to try them or read the views of others. Have you got the new agp driver from www.viaarena.com if you have via that is?Sun

Guest Heather 636

Thank you for that lead. There's ANOTHER one to add to my lengthy "To Do" list.Egads! I try to shorten that list and for everything I scratch off, I gain two more!!Cheers!Heather

Guest SoarPics

LOL, Heather... and you no doubt get to fly much more than those of us who make up the tinkering brigade.Bobber, keep in mind that using Nvidia drivers can sometimes be a fickle experience. The latest may not be the greatest... for your particular card. The latest drivers are optimized for the GF4 series (an attempt to improve poor anio performance?), and it may be difficult to realize performance gains on previous generations of cards.I have a GF3 Ti200 running at 500 speeds, and have tried some of the latest drivers. I get my best performance (from my perception) with the 21.85's.As Heather said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".Congrats on finding your sweet spot,

Guest dek

Another thing to consider is the fact that later drivers often give new functions, each of which can slow you down. So it really seems to be a trade off, just like the sliders settings in FS2002.dek