Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Rudder pedals IRL

Hi,A simple question for a real pilot or anyone else who knows - how does the rudder pedals work in a real a/c? What I mean is do you push the right or left pedal forward to turn right and vice versa?TIA,

Richard Åsberg

Richard,I believe its: Right pedal forward == right turnLeft pedal forward == left turnRight toe brake == brake on right sideLeft toe brake == brake on left sideCH products sells pedals for FS if your interested

Hi Dan,Thanks for your reply, can anyone else confirm this?And thanks for the tip, but I already have a pair of CH pedals - that's why I'm asking ;-)

Richard Åsberg

Guest wee_davie_2612

EDITConfirmed :)Brakes - Right toe = Right brakes etc.Hope it helps :)David ;)

Guest chris_kirk

Yes, confirmed. Push right pedal to yaw right, left pedal to yaw left. I'm not a professional pilot, but a student pilot with 6 hours in a C-152 and 1 hour in a C-172 (i.e. I don't know much... but I do know this!)Any particular reason for your doubt?Chris Kirk

Hi David,That's the way I have my pedals configured now and what feels most natural to me, but as you can see in Dan's post above he claims the other way around and that's also how it's modeled in PMDG's virtual cockpit - ie when the right pedal is moved forward the a/c turns right.Hmm...could someone please shed some light here?

Richard Åsberg

Guest chris_kirk

>Think of the rudder pedals as the handle bars on your bike,>Push your right arm forward and you turn left, left forward>you turn right.Sorry David, but you've got that backwards. If the analogy were correct then on the bicycle you'd push your RIGHT arm forward to turn RIGHT. You are correct about the brakes though.Chris Kirk

Thanks Chris, guess I'll have to reprogram my brain when it comes to right/left after changing my pedals ;-) Have always felt more natural with pushing right pedal forward to turn left and left pedal forward to turn right, but then I noticed the animation in the VC was the other way around.

Richard Åsberg

Guest chris_kirk

Richard.I can understand perfectly. When I was a kid I was given a tour of a BAC 1-11 flight deck and all the controls were explained to me. I was informed that the rudder pedals were used for yawing the nose left and right. Unfortunately for me the captain who was showing me around never got to the level of detail of explaining WHICH WAY the aircraft would yaw (it was obviously such second nature to him that it never occurred to him that an explanation was even necessary!)After the tour I was thinking about all that I had been told and, like you, felt it more natural to push the left pedal for a right yaw. For years afterward I was quite convinced that the pedals worked in this backwards fashion and never thought to check!Thank God that I had several years of pretty intensive simming in which, as you nicely put it, to reprogram my brain before I got anywhere near flying a real aircraft!I'm flying this Saturday... what's the betting that all of a sudden I'm going to try to revert to the old, wrong, way of doing things?!!Chris Kirk

Don't even think of reverting Chris, I'm sure you'll do just fine :-)

Richard Åsberg

Guest kloker

Just to contribute:I, too, am a student pilot and for the rudder pedals its push right, turn right; push left, turn left. Actually, it's a yaw, not a turn. But, it was very unnatural to me to begin. I think my brain regarded it as when you ride and steer a snow sled, when it's the other way around.keith

Guest stockerharris

Richard,The interesting thing to one interested in details, is that the rudder pedal configuration is historic.At the beginning the rudder was controlled by a rudder bar pivoted in front of the joystick and pushed by the pilot's feet.If you pushed with your left foot, thus shortening the port (left) rudder wire, you pulled the rudder to port. This produced a yaw to port (left). If you draw a little diagram it is easier to see.If you load the default Curtis you can see the rudder attachmnts, wire and pulley blocks.In this day and the age of fly by wire you could have any convention you pleased, but the original convention has survived.David.

That's interesting, thanks for sharing David. Will have a look at the Curtis.

Richard Åsberg