Sign in to follow this  
tjrush

ATC Anomolies

Guest Astrojet 112

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the following...ATC vectors you in to the LOC on the active runway, confirms RWY again as you establish the localizer, Then when ATC hands you over to tower on short final, tower says...fly downwind and enter the pattern for a completly different RWY!This has happened twice at two different airports.I have traffic set to 100, (never happened at 60).Using the PSS A320.Thanks,Astro

It happened to me last weekend, I think this issue is related to the weather. I was initially given a runway which was correct when related to the wind direction at that level. The tower then gave me the opposite runway with the exact instructions that you had. It seems that on the initial instructions the wind at the time of the instructions, higher level winds was from one direction, as I approached the runway there was a change in the wind direction so the tower gave me a completely different set of instructions.I am using FSMETEO and this happened when I was flying DF737.Tony

Guest Astrojet 112

Yup! I am using FS Meteo as well...must be the culprit.Anyone have any ideas about how to correct this?Astro

Don't really think it is an anomaly. Why would you want to look for a fix for this??? It's really not a problem .. but a missed approach challenge ... you are on short final, maybe 500-1500 feet, you should have the runway heading set and missed approach altitude set ... all you need to do is press the toga button, gear up, clean up flaps, and await instructions.I use FS_Meteo for every flight also ... and the runway "switch issue" happens once in a while ... no correlations to sudden wind changes that I have noticed... happened last night on final into Beijing 18L ... smoothly on the G/S in a PSS A320 ... at the 5 mile handoff and landing clearance ... I was told to fly the right downwind for 36R ... o well .. toga .. cleanup and do what I was told, eventually picked up and vectored to 36R.This is supposed to be "almost real" and it might be close ... I think. At least there is a little challenge. And unless you want to invest in Radar Contact or another ATC solution ... it's all there is for the moment.Cheers and Happy Flying!!!Paul BenoitKBOS (outlandishly hot and humid 94F and way too humid!!)

Guest gasebah

Nice idea. However I know the prob and whar happens to me regularly at EDDM is that Approach will send me to the wrong runway again... tower says fly downwind.. approach redirects.. and so on. This can happen up to xx times. I regularly run out of fuel.Strangely the only place this ever happened to me is EDDM.Alex

Alex,That's why we are supposed to have trip fuel, alternate dest fuel, a huge reserve, taxi and apu fuel .... you're supposed to be able to handle a missed approach, or diversion.hehehehehehe ... But honestly, I always have one of those handy KC-135 tankers somewhere close so I can take on an additional 4-5000 pounds of fuel in case I miscalculated .. (miscalculation is my expertise ... hahahaha)Thankfully here in the USA it is out independence day holiday ... and FOUR WHOLE consecutive days off ... yahoo!!!!Happy Fourth!!! Happy Canada Day!!!

Guest Astrojet 112

Hi Paul,I have done go arounds due to traffic and that makes sense. Or a last minute change in severe weather would make sense. But in all my years of watching planes lined up in the pattern on short final, I have never seen anything like this in real life. Besides, even if I did abort at the last minute and reset the MDCU for the new RWY that the tower specified, I would just be redirected to the original RWY again when the tower handed me off. Only to be redirected again when handed back to tower...I tried disabling surface winds on my latest FSMeteo download, I'll see if that makes a difference and let you guys know.Astro

This happens all the time. For example, ATC directs youto RWY 27 and the tower then directs you to enter either a left or right downwind for RWY 9. This is not a TOGA. In my example, you just fly the left or right pattern and the tower will clear you to land on RWY 9.

Tom