Sign in to follow this  
Guest jlovemark

Big diff. between 512 and 1 gig of RAM

Guest jlovemark

Hello everyone at the PMDG ForumCurrently i have:HP a550e seriesAMD 64 3200+512 MB DDR / PC3200 (1 DIMM) 9800 XT 256 MB160 GB HDWould upgrading to 1 gig of RAM make that much of a difference in FS9, if all your sliders are maxed and are using the PMDG 737 and Fly Tampa Scenery. Is it worth the 100+ dollars?Thanks for your hints, help, suggestions and/or comments.JamieP.S: Can't wait for the 800-900 to come out, dang!

I have 1G in my rig and when I'm flying with any of the payware packages, Sqauwkbox, AS2004, AVC, etc. I use about 600 or so roughly. My opinion is if you have the $100, do it, you can never have too much ram. It's not really going to speed it up much if any though. More than anything FS is a cpu hog.Jay Eklundwww.pacificwestairways.com

Jay EKlund

UVA/GCVA Pile-it

Guest Buck Bolduc

I second what Jay say's.Not sure how much disk swapping goes on. I have 1 gig and was thinking of adding another, then reducing swap file size. With 2 gigs it would seem one would not need a swap file at all, or at least a very small one?Something to check out when I have time.Regards

Jamie,when i upgraded from 512mb to 1gb i did not see much of a difference.i was hoping that loading time of airplane textures would go away, but it was disappointing. even when i had used external view before it would still load from the hard drive after switching to outside view. the only thing that

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...sg_id=998&page=Says it all :)Not noticing change from 512-1024 when flying PMDG, is in my humble opinion, simple ignorance. You will notice a big change.One thing I can suggest is, disable the swap, and try loading your PMDG, you will see that it will close FS in the middle of loading. Why? Because 512 is not enough.And if it does not, then you don't need it. Even with 1024 here, when I load some heavy scenery, mesh etc, besides have open some programs like IRC, mIRC, IE, Outlook Express, and all that's needed for online flying (Squawkbox, FS Metar (clouds = RAM), BAV online programs, etc etc), it easily climbs up to 850-900MB in taskmanager, and once it already happened that FS stopped loading textures and crashed - then I enabled the swap file again, and set it to some 50mb or so, extendible to 300, and since than, it's fast, no stuttering, fast loading, and only stutters when I slew fast around the aircraft and textures around aren't yet loaded into the memory. Then I see the grey boxes for kinda half of the second, it loads (I heard the HDD rumble on the FS9 partition), and after that, again smooth.

yeah well, it DOES eat 3mb of memory :)

And well, Winamp (10mb) :)

Guest Buck Bolduc

Word Not Allowed, you did the checking I was refering to. You confermed what I suspected.I think PMDG's 737NG,is without a doubt the best, 737 ever published, period.I like to fly the 747. I have the vmax RFP 2nd. gen. it's a great sim. When PMDG releases the 737-8/900 I will purchase it. When PMDG releases the 747-400's I will be in LaLa land.I see a lot of guy's who post and say they want INS. Maybe PMDG can do it better, I dont know.But let me say this, if you use Civa's INS, which is a very good and proper implementation of Delco's Carrosel INS, especially using 3(three) units (triple mixing) Be prepared to spend a few bucks on some memmory,as well as a fast proccessor. On the other hand be carefull what you wish for!!!Regards

Never used INS so far, and basically don't know anything about it.I like the PMDG the way it is, we'll see what next versions bring, I know they can surprise people a lot.Btw. about the swap. Right now I have a gig of RAM, and swap of 50mb, ext. to 300 I think. Rarely, very rarely I get the yellow exclamation mark saying that windows is running low on Vmem and increasing the size. I'll try to find out through time, what is the max. size needed when flying (because none of the applications use so much RAM as does FS), set that and done. I don't believe it will ever be more than swap of 150mb.