Sign in to follow this  
Guest robl

transponder settings

Guest robl

Two questions a/Can someone just explain the 3 different transponder settings so I use the correct one when flying online?b/does changing the settings in the coms window adjust the radio frequency in squawk box? I realize it works the otherway- sb settings change radios settings Thanks for any assistanceregards Robert

Guest boxjockey99

I can help on question A. I assume you mean the settings ON, TA and TA/RA. ON means simply ALT reporting only ie the transponder is working with mode C transmitting your current ALTThe other two positions are TCAS positions and thus pretty useless in the 600/700 as the TCAS doesn't work but in real life they mean:TA - Traffic Advisory ONLY. TCAS will issue only TA's to you, a TA is when the target goes yellow and the system tells you TRAFFIC, TRAFFIC. The target will go red but you won't get the Resolution Advisory as you would in the TA/RA modeTA/RA - is the normal TCAS mode, this means TRAFFIC ADVISORY/ RESOLUTION ADVISORY. Basically it is the same as just TA with the added protection that TCAS will tell you how to avoid a conflict should an aircraft get too close. You will get an audio warning such as 'CLIMB CLIMB' or 'MAINTAIN VERTICAL SPEED' and also depeding on the TCAS fit you will get a visual display on the VSI or EADI telling you where to go, on the VSI system a red ard appears all the way around the VSI except where you need to put the needle, in a CLIMB CLIMB warning you would get a red arc from -6000fpm up to +1500fpm where the green arc would appear, the idea being if you pull the nose up enough to put it in the VSI needle in the green arc you won't die.The RA when displayed on the EADI shows a red area on the artificial horizon where you should avoid puttinf the aircraft datum, simply put the aircraft datum above or below the red area and you should avoid the collision.Normally the switch is placed in TA/RA as part of the before take of checks and left there until taxiing off the active runway after landing. There are safeguards to prevent RA's at low altitude etc so you needn't worry about switching to TA only at any time!Hope that helpsKris

"The other two positions are TCAS positions and thus pretty useless in the 600/700 as the TCAS doesn't work..." That is not to say that they will not if one purchases the up coming 800-900 that will upgrade your 600-700 for TCAS ;-)[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | WD SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 |

Guest boxjockey99

RandyWith all the hoo har about it I didn't even want to mention the 800/900 stuff for fear of being asked when it will be out! But as you say if it is fitted to the new 8/900 then TA and TA/RA will need to be used to also the TCAS system to workDisclaimer - I know nothing about the development of the 8/900, so please don't ask me, I am but a meek airline pilot with nothing better to do with his time. Your life is at risk if you do ask awkward questions about the 8/900 series of me! LOL!!Kris

:( There is a small program that will tune AVC (voice com) to the channel you set in the COM1 radio. I assume it also handles SB, so you can send text properly. I think it

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

"The squawk mode in SB is not controlled by the transponder settings in MSFS."However, based on the upcoming Squawkbox 3.0 by JoelDeYoung, and his specs, the 8/900 TCAS is already equipped to fully exploit its settings. (Obviously, if Joel changes his spec, this won't be true anymore, but according to current standings, it is).

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest TrafficTraffic

I do not believe you are supposed to get any red targets when in TA Only mode. When in TA Only mode, either due to the switch setting or proximity to the ground, the TCAS II logic does not even attempt to identify "threats" (red), just "potential threats" (yellow).Otherwise, everything else you say is implemented in the 800/900 upgrade.Lee Hetherington, PP-ASEL (KBED)

Guest boxjockey99

I'd have to check but I think the display goes red but you don't get all the other bells and whistles that the RA function provides! Also I think these functions vary depending on aircraft fit so it's not really that important as long as the manual details what the functions do!Kris

No it works this way, if one selects TA over TA/RA all RAs show as TAs. This comes into play on takeoffs and approaches to avoid too many RAs alerts. TA/RA is the norm for takeoff but in very bust centers it is a pilot choice... [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | WD SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 |

"There are safeguards to prevent RA's at low altitude etc so you needn't worry about switching to TA only at any time" Well this is true to a *point* but pilots will TA on TO depending since the inhibits onlt cover a certain altitude range. As for TCAS INHIBITS here is a handy chart for some of you to reference. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/72822.jpg And a TCAS ALERTS REF http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/72824.jpg [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | WD SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 |

Guest boxjockey99

RandyI am sure you have done your research but in my experience I have yet to turn from TA/RA to TA only in real life. I know it is an option if you are getting spurious warnings but even going into London Gatwick on a busy day I have yet to get any kind of problem. The TA option is there for pilots to use and I am sure in some cases it is needed but in the main the automatic inhibits do work quite nicely. The inhibits are based on Rad-Alt so it doesn't matter what elevation the airfield is, you will still get the TA only inhibit at the same height. I'm all for realism in the systems you guys develop but lets not complicate matters beyond the bounds of understanding. The checklist calls for Transponder/TCAS ..... set xxxx TA/RA and that is what we do. The option to downgrade to TA only is there if things get hairy but from a safety point of view unless I am in daylight VMC and have a fresh set of eyeballs fitted to the APU cowling at the back then I want the RA's to tell me exactly where I need to be in order for my life and many other to NOT come a bone crunching, metal screaching end! Boy that sounds awful serious! Of course that ius just my 2 peneth worth!Kris