Sign in to follow this  
crvm

A word for 800-900 buyers

Gents- Please remember that the 800-900 are much longer and the chances for tail strikes are greater, a correct rotation is no fater than 2-2.5 with a hold around 8-9 to postive RA then off you go! Tail strikes are quite nasty to FS so I thought I would save some of you ;-) Please RTFM! The TCAS test is correctly simulated including the amount of time to run the test so keep that in mind. I hope you have as much fun as we have had in testing![h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | WD SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 |

Guest NGnut

And it's a bigger aircraft so its a bugger to slow down - extremely similar to the real world :-) Trust me!Get low and get slow or you will be all over the place on late stages of approach!Just some friendly advice :-)Cheers.Dean Constantinidishttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpg

Guest ENZV

>> I hope you have as much fun as we have had in testing!>You guys are so lucky :D Waiting for the credit card to arrive.. ETA 1 hr.. :-)

Guest Lenny Zaman

And i must agree with dean... another high speed approach followed by a missed down the hatch :(man it's sure a difference from the 736...i actually needed those speedbrakes and not due to ATC errors ;)Cheers

Guest luxpilot

Thanks Guys for this great product !!!I am also impressed by the TCAS , flew online on IVAO today and guess what? my first landing with the 800 and there was traffic on the rwy , got my trafic alerts and immediate GA Thanks for the fun we have with this plane againCheers

Guest Lenny Zaman

my god, i need to get back in the sim for a while, appearanly when landing i encountered a tailstrike, it's due to something commonly seen by boeing... flare too soon, floating out, speed dropping, suddenly starting to 'fall' to the ground followed by instinctive pulling on the yoke, touchdown and both engine drop out :)Funny ... i need more simtime i think :)Cheers

hehehe Lenny, those 800 - 900s will do that if you are not carefull! Amazing difference from the 600-700 on TD. I find it better to put her down a bit harder than any type of PAX comfort ;-)[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | WD SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 |

I got a tail strike during a full auto-land.:/

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

LOL well this CAN happen too! Remember that you need a certain clearance so flaps 40 is better for the 800-900 for landing. SPEED, make sure you do not get below VREF + 5. If you have a headwind increase this even more. A full autoland is very rare, more than people think..[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | WD SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 |

Guest Lenny Zaman

HEy Randy, can you mail me at lenny.zaman@skynet.bei need to ask you something but cannot seem to find your email adress(will explain later on)Cheers

Guest Valid_Andy

Hey team, can any of your PMDG team members post any tips for landing? I'm on the approach at Vref+5 OR + wind correction (half steady + full gust), idling at 50, and flare at 30,lands perfect on Vref but it does seem to land harder than the 700 did - I'm guessing because of the extra weigth. How do you guys land? Whats your flare heigth? How fast is your flare? From the inboard vids of the lauda air 737-800 available on the net they appear to flare between 30-40, but it's impossible to tell when they idle, and what AOA to. The manual says to idle at 50, flare at 30 to approx 5degree head up, which is what I have been doing...and variations guys?+Randy, I got the VNAV fixed...dunno how:9

Flaps 40 will give you more tail clearance even if it is only a couple of inches. The 700 is landed at 30 most of the time but I find 40 much more stable on the 800-900 series. VREF + 5 minimum. The flare height for the 700 is 15 feet! If you are on AUTOLAND it will start about 50 RA I suppose. You do not want to glide across the rwy with the 800-900s. If you need to get it down then put her down otherwise you are in tail strike danger.[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | WD SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 |