Sign in to follow this  

Does Anybody Remember . . .

Guest Heather 636

the movie, "Murphy's War" with Peter O'Toole? Then you'd remember that scene with the airplane. Anyone know what that was? I'd LOVE to add that one to my hangar!Cheers!Heather

Hmmm.. me thinks back a long time.. Wasnt it a Beaver?And by the way.. I have a few beavers in my hangar, great radial experience and easier to fly than a DC-3. I flew on a Beaver on Floats in Alaska 3 years ago and the guy let me fly it for a while. You cannot go wrong with these things. Go get the Fred Banting Beaver, very nice.Regards.. TrevVisit "The DC-3 Hangar"http://www.douglasdc3.com

Guest Heather 636

Nope, not it. Got all kinds of Beavers in my Hangar, and I agree, a lovely airplane. ANOTHER one on my list for when I win the lottery.This one was a single-float, actually part of the fuselage, biplane, WWII vintage.My brother thought it was a Kingfisher but wasn't sure. I looked that up and that isn't it. It was DEFINITELY bi-winged. In the movie, it was a Royal Navy aircraft if that helps.Below is a Kingfisher.Dang! This has got me going now and I won't rest until I find it.Cheers!Heather

Heather,It's been eons since I've seen the movie (I think I saw it in the theater when it first came out -- unfortunately, that dates me) but if I remember right doesn't Peter rebuild the plane himself? And in his rebuild, I think he might have "customized" it somewhat, to the extent it may not have even been a float plane to start with.Just a thought -- probably the best thing to do would be to rent or buy the DVD and see if there's any information in the credits (although that long ago there may not be -- nowadays they even credit which cell phone the actor used :>)

Hi Heather,I too remember that movie very well. It's one of my favorite WWII movies. The aircraft in question is the reputable Grumman J2F-6 "Duck." Here's a website I found displaying the very aircraft that was in the movie. http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/modern_flight/mf8.htmHappy 4th!OwenP.S. Aaaah...looks like Timothy beat me to the punch!

Guest Scott Campbell

That sure looks like it!

Guest Heather 636

I WANT IT!!! Oh PLEASE tell me somebody is building that for FS2002.I was looking through various sites online and with all of the lovely old classics, I guess I'm just going to have to learn how to build them myself if I'm ever going to see them for FS.Like the De Havilland DH86, the Grumman Widgeon, Goose, and many, many more.Sigh! Got me all excited and nowhere to go with the energy.;)Cheers!Heather

Guest Heather 636

Ooooo!! Kelleym!! Thank you!! You're a sweetheart!! Downloading now.Heather

Guest BobD

In 1946-1947 there was a War Surplus Depot at what had been Cal-Aero Academy, now Chino Airport, near Ontario California. A great many aircraft passed through that facility, among them a number of J2F-6s. They were fresh off the assembly line and all equipment was still intact, even the tow-target. With approximately 10 hours on the odometer, they could be had for $600.00. No matter how hard we tried, that was just too much to handle for a newly hired United Air Lines pilot, with wife and child. We certainly recognized the chance of a lifetime, but had to settle for just watching them one by one soar off into the sunset.Bob

Guest Heather 636

Ow Bob! That's painful!I remember when I was little and "Tora Tora Tora" came out. Of course, my father, never missing a single war movie, packed us all in the car and away to the drive-in we went. I remember in one of the aviation magazines shortly afterward that the planes used in that movie were for sale. I don't remember which one but the most expensive one was something like $7,500. They were still equippped just as they were for the movie, guns, torpedoes, etc. Looked really neat!I WANTED one! Of course my family always thought I was strange anyway, let alone wanting an airplane that I wasn't even old enough to fly yet. But even then, I KNEW the value on those would only go up and up.I was just born in the WRONG era!Heather

Guest DNelson

The BT-13 was used for the Zero's in Tora!. I believe a couple of them were also used in the recent "Pearl Harbor" movie. The BT-13 was a WWII basic trainer. I believe that the normal progression for the cadets was the primary trainer (Stearman), then the BT-13, then either the AT-6 for fighter pilots or the twin Beech for bomber/transport trainees.One of my father's friends owned a BT-13, and I was able to snag some stick time in it several years ago. Great fun. LOVE the sound of that radial engine!Dan

Yup, they used a few BT's for "Pearl Harbor" but most was CGI work.Its not the prettiest plane on the ramp, but when compared to the Duck...lolTimothy

Guest Javis

Hey Trev,Remember i sent you that 'screetch sound' for your DC-3 on ski's way back then ?? At one time in 'Murphy's War' Murphy is anxiously trying to get the Duck out of the water for repair with Louie's crane that he doesn't know how to handle ( like the Duck initially....), everytime he hits the brakes to stop the crane from moving, the aircraft hanging in the crane's cable's makes a certain sound. *That's * your DC-3 on ski's 'screetch sound ' ! Told you about it way back then ! ;-)Heather :Must've seen 'Murphy's War' 100 times, because of the fantastic sequence of Peter trying to get the Duck off the water into the air ( the pilot is keeping his face carefully off camera, the hat also helps....) and because of Murphy : " i'm gonna RAM him !! " Louie : " with my house ???!!! " ... ;-) Jan