Sign in to follow this  

The best joystick in the world's history.

It may very well be an excellent joystick. Looks like a very durable construction. But in my view it has one major shortcoming - it is meant for fighter aircraft, not a civilian aircraft. I need a stick that would fit in my left hand, not the right hand. So far Saitek Cyborg 3D is the only game in town as far as I am concerned.Michael J.

"It may very well be an excellent joystick. Looks like a very durable construction. But in my view it has one major shortcoming - it is meant for fighter aircraft, not a civilian aircraft". Tens of millions were spent on the ergonomics by the defense department to make the F-16 (etc.) controls, so that (for instance) carrier landings could be more easily done seat of the pants when glidescopes were not operational. Thrustmaster copied the military shapes and button placements exactly to take advantage of all this expensive R & D, Saitek did not and it matters." I need a stick that would fit in my left hand, not the right hand. So far Saitek Cyborg 3D is the only game in town as far as I am concerned ".The handles will be screw on replaceable right hand left hand oversize undersize. The military version was sized assuming wearing gloves hence the previous Thrustmaster versions are oversized for most people flying barehanded. Michael J. == WHK ==

Well, I may definitely consider this setup one day provided that both handles (stick and throttle) will be available in left & right hand versions, and a good rudder control will be introduced. We have to wait and see.Again, all this F-16 ergonomics stuff makes zero impression on me - I don't play military sims.Michael J.

It's a beauty. I have the x36 but will wait. I understand this package is over $300. Man that's a lot bucks. I do prefer having the separate throttle at lease for the luxury of having more buttons to program.BobG

Guest SoarPics

I have had Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS #4879 for almost a month. At first I too was put off by the price. But I did alot of research on the system before making the purchase. I can honestly say that it is much more than I expected. Can't remember the last time I bought something that I originally thought to be far too expensive, then came to realize I got the better end of the deal. For me it is that good.What I like best about the Cougar is it's programming software (Foxy). It is much easier to use, and more powerful, than the software that Saitek has for their X36 series (my previous controller). I have even written seperate profiles for FS2K2 based upon the different aircraft I fly. For me the learning curve seemed very easy (for simple programming... I'm still learning), and I was quickly creating numerous profiles.Guess I could go on but those interested can learn more here:http://cougar.frugalsworld.com/The only real problem I've seen with the Cougar is getting one. I bought mine from Flight Sim Central, and of course received their usual superb service. I was fortunate to have bought just as numerous shipments had arrived in the United States. Others around the world have had to wait for a number of weeks. Evenso, from what I've read at the Cougar Forum most folks consider the wait worth it.Regards,P.S. It's really cool flying the Cougar with one of the fine F-16's with the recently released panel by Eric Marciano (f16pnlem.zip... can't remember whether I got it here or at Flightsim.com). The HOTAS is clearly visible and moves just as the Cougar moves.

F-16? Carrier Landing? The F-16 has no tail hook!Ken

I sense a couple of plugs there :-)You mentioned Foxy. I believe back with some of thrustmaster's older sticks there was some third party software by that name. I wonder if thrustmaster bought the rights to it. Anyway, I would love to have a new one because Saitek has been gold bricking on updating their software for XP. So many things I want I just have to decide the priority.BobG

Guest SoarPics
Hi Bob,That should have been "shameless" plugs.:-lol Actually, I don't plug anything... unless someone pays me. That's certainly not the case with this latest Thrustmaster HOTAS.:-fume On the serious side, I believe Foxy is an evolution of software originaly developed by Dr. James Hallows. He is a member of the Cougar development team (my guess would be software... jeez, I'm so smart ;) ). Foxy is light years ahead of the poorly supported X36 software, and is actually a kick to use.So to balance the plugs, I'll offer this complaint: The stick seems a bit big for my average sized hand. I remember reading that the F-16 stick was originally designed to be flown with gloves. Guess that will be my next purchase.As for priorities, mine were set when my X36 died. The more I read on the Cougar the more convinced that it was the way to go. Other's priorities will of course be different. At this point in time, though, I now consider the death of the X36 as a piece of good fortune.Regards,

Could you send me yours just for a couple of days. I will pay shipping to and fro. You know, just spread a little love. You could insure it for $600 :-)Ill let you know if I get one and we can share some prog'sBobG

Guest SoarPics

My counter offer: You can have the kid, the business, and the mortgage. Gotta keep the better half... she sometimes reads this forum.If you do decide to buy, the toughest part will be the sticker shock. After that it's all fun and amazement at what you got for your money.Now that I think about it the better half gave me a big green light on the Cougar... yep, gotta keep her.