Sign in to follow this  
Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Fuel cutoff levers question

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi folks.I tried saving a situation with dark/cold cockpit and fuel cutoff levers down; but when loading that saved flight levers are still on and i have to cutoff fuel as a part of the cockpit preparation routine. Is that normal?I had same problem with 600/700 early release but after v1.3 the problem was solved. Now again.......Thanks in advance for helpingLuigi ;-)

Guest Fjorko

Same thing here !PMG ?

Guest ba747heavy

Luigi,It is my understanding that this is one of those 'FS' things that really can't be helped. Not sure what else to say besides to make sure your cutoff levers are down after loading the flight :(

I think Fred is spot on with this MSFSism.As a side note. I think it's included in some operators SOPs to cycle the cutoff levers as a pre-start check to verify the blue lights are on (and the valves closed).Hope it helps,

"I think it's included in some operators SOPs to cycle the cutoff levers as a pre-start check to verify the blue lights are on (and the valves closed)."Interesting.... I thought this would have been a fire hazard.. as it must surely allow a quantity of fuel into the combustion chamber(?) ... I just hope their start switches are in the correct position... otherwise they may end up with a tailpipe fire... or have I overlooked something (as usual)?Cheers.Ian.

Just a quick something to add: Prior to the 800/900 upgrade they started in cutoff. Would it still be a MSFS thing after I say that?Geoffrey BaleanCanberra, AU (YSCB)http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesturday. All is well!"Pentium 4 2.4GHZ, P4G8X Deluxe with Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, 512MB RAM, LG Flatron L1710S 17" LCD, Creative Soundblaster Audigy, Logitech Speakers, CH Yoke & Rudder, Quantum Fireballp AS30.0 - Basically nothing crash hot :)

"Would it still be a MSFS thing after I say that?"Yes. As I understand it, it was a matter of priority. There were two problems with the engines and fuel switches:A. Switch position not being remembered.B. Switches disagreeing with what the engines were doing.The sim could only be programmed to prevent one of these things because of MS's limitations. You could fix A and fix B, but not at the same time. The PMDG team chose to fix B.Hope this makes sense (and is accurate). If not, Mr Randazzo will tear strips out of me :-)Cheers.Ian.

Guest boxjockey99

Ian This is not a problem as long as the fuel pumps are NOT ON. Without the fuel pumps the fuel is not under pressure and will not come forth and pee all over the floor when the start levers are moved! Kris

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Been away for a while.Thanks a lot for clarifications.Luigi ;-)

Guest nandrzej

You could try starting the flight with the Cessna and hitting . This pulls the mixture knob all the way out/cuts the fuel off. I did this the other day and when I changed aircraft to a 737-600 the levers were down. I am not sure MSFS will save them this way though.cheers, Nick

Guest ntsmith

I had never even upgraded to the 1.3 (thought it was for as long as I had it) Only upgraded when I got this new bird. But I never had this problem with it then. Always had it with other add ons though (PSS for example) and they said it was a problem with the flight sim itself.Kind regardsNigel Thomas-Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg

"This is not a problem as long as the fuel pumps are NOT ON. Without the fuel pumps the fuel is not under pressure and will not come forth and pee all over the floor when the start levers are moved!"Thanks, Kris... I'm thinking of two scenarios here.1. On hot days, pressure can build up in the plumbing between the spar valve and the engine. It happens with other types of Boeings, so I _assumed_ it would happen on the NG.2. Engines windmill on windy days, and the pumps are attached to the N2 rotor via a gearbox. This might cause pressure to build up in the plumbing.I still think it's not the best thing to do. When we lift the levers during maintenance on aircraft, we make sure that the ignitor breakers are pulled... and, as an added precaution, we have been known to dry spin the engine to blow any fuel out the back after returning the switches to cutoff.Cheers.Ian.

Guest boxjockey99

IanThe amount of fuel you are talking about is small when you consider that you are literally opening and closing the valves in a matter of a few seconds. That amount of fuel will likely dissipate quickly in the atmosphere. I hear what you are saying and yes a blow out cycle would be a good move if there was a significant amount of fuel involved. I know we had the potential problem of fuel in the tail pipe on the F27 and I know of several people who have come a cropper to it resulting in a 40ft flame on start and one slightly overdone Turbine disk! THe movement of these valves is not in the normal pilot checks although as far as I am aware we can do it if we feel the urge! I think this is normally done as part of the daily check done by the engineers and so will take place hours before the aircraft starts thus leaving plenty of time for any fuel to dissipate!Hope that clears it upKris