Sign in to follow this  
Ben Johnson

H/W Gurus - help needed

Guru's,Here's my situation - I have a Motorola Surfboard (SB4200) cable modem (using the USB connection), Win XP Home. I connect to the web without any problems.I purchased the Linksys Etherfast DSL/Cable router so I could network 2 additional PC's for the purpose of installing Project Magenta software.After following (meticulously) the instructions of the Linksys I'm unable to connect to the web. I've doubled checked all of the settings, DHCP on the router, Modem, auto set IP, etc..Next, I figured, let me install a PCI NIC card. Setup the card to auto set the IP, DHCP, etc. Still unable to connect to the web. On both scenario's the router see's the LAN (IP set on local PC), but show's 0's for the WAN (modem side I guess).I even tried the same steps above on one of my other PC (Win98) with the same results.What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any advice.Regards,Bob Lyddy

Guest Bob_Jones

Hi,I had a similar prob with Linksys network cards and hub 'albeit on wi98se', but after some heavy duty mails between myself and Harvey somethingorother at Linksys, it all boiled down to the IRQ settings within the BIOS and win98se.From what I was told, the Linksys cards/software doesn't like anything sharing the IRQ, so if your BIOS lets you assign IRQ's, give it a try, also try setting them through WinXP.I know it's not the same problem as yours, but just a thought.Bob

Bob, just so I can be sure I understand you correctly. You've got your cable from the wall into your modem which is connected to your computer through USB, and this works fine. You got a router but you didn't mention how it was connected. Your cable modem now has to connect to your router, then the router to your computer. Does your router have a USB connection for the WAN port? All I'm familiar with use a standard network cable port. And then you connect your other computers with the router by way of networking cards.Are you saying that all your connections are done by way of USB?

Scott,Sorry, let me clarify a bit.Prior to purchasing the Linksys etherfast Cable/DSL router my setup was - Cable modem (Comcast.net) connecting to the PC via the USB connection on the cable modem and the USB port on the PC.Since my post I've been able to get the NIC card in the PC working and can now connect to the cable modem via it's RJ45 jack. I'm no longer using the USB connection (on the PC or cable modem).I'm still unable to get the router to work in between the PC and the cable modem. This is my current hang-up. I'm trying to network a few PC's.Hope this clarifies things a bit.Thanks,Bob Lyddy

I am assuming your Router is just a router and not a Router/Switch or Router/Hub. If just a Router, you need a Cross-over cable. If R/S or R/H, then standard cable.You will also have to setup your Network protcols. If you have the Network Icon on your desktop, right click, select properties, and go from there. If not, got to control panel, find Network Icon, and go from there.

I contacted Linksys Tech Support and they suggested I assign my MAC address directly to the router (this is not mentioned in any of the setup steps).Once I located my MAC address (ipconfig /all) and entered it into the router, bingo everything worked. Thanks everyone for all of your assistance, this community is GREAT!!Regards,Bob Lyddy