Sign in to follow this  
Guest christianholmes

Few operational questions-

Guest christianholmes

1) Why do we press the top left screw of the MCP for TOGA?2) Does the lower EICAS screen work? It is always blank, and I can't find any reference to it in the docs.3) Several times on approach I got a "rwy/crs error" or similiar in the FMC on approach. As far as the documentation goes, I just need to enter the course, freq. in BOTH nav radios, then capture the LOC, press APP, and turn on CMD B.Last time, it worked, and auto-landed, but the error still showed in the FMC scratchpad. Do you have to set the HDG bug on the MCP to the course also? I didn't do that, so it's the only thing I could think of.This plane is so awesome. BTW, what the max operating range? Can I fly to the other side of the pond with this thing?

Guest georg

About the EICAS, you should read ome manual. I can tell you that you can open it by right clicking on the upper EICAS in 2D or its always visible in VC. To get some picture on it, press the MFD buttons that are located just above the upper display unit. If they are inop, enable the other system from Styles menu. It has been discussed many times in the board so Im sure you will find it.TOGA is Take-off / Go-around switch that is located on throttle quadrant in reality, but placed to there in PMDG for easier access. You can use it example in takeoff - Autothrottle ARM, set thrust to 40% N1, check that both are stabilized and then press TOGA. You will get a good takeoff thrust automatically and your Autopilot speed mode turns to N1 mode. After takeoff you can start using the SPEED mode right away. You can also use the switch in Go arounds. Be sure that autothrottle is armed and when going around, press immidiately the TOGA to get full thrust for climbout.Never met that error. You should check the CRS in MCP and freq in NAV. Though I assume that you get it because you have not set the same runway for approach that you are currently trying to land. Go to INIT REF Approach menu when airborne and double check that you have correct landing runway there. IT will also show you ILS freq and CRS for it.HDG has no effect on ILS or all other radio navigational modes. Its only for HDG mode.Some performance information for you:Typical cruising speed Mach 0.785. Max certificated altitude 41,000ft. 737-800 - Standard range with 162 passengers 3585km (1990nm) or 5445km (2940nm) for high gross weight version. 737-900 - Standard range with 177 passengers 3815km (2060nm), high gross weight version 5083km (2458nm).I have heard that 737-700-800-900 can fly the Atlantic, but not 100% sure.

You beat me to it Georg! ;-)

Guest christianholmes

Thanks for the quick reply. I have read the manuals that came with it. I figured I would find information in the systems manual, but found nothing. I didn't know about that option in the styles menu- I wanted to leave that alone while I learn just to simply my learning.As for the approach error- I entered the runway in DEPARR, tuned both NAVs to the correct frequency, and both GS and LOC showed up correctly. When the LOC began moving, I pressed VOR LOC and it captured. When the GS started moving I pressed APP, and activated the second autopilot. It captured correctly, and flew a perfect CAT III, but the ERROR was displayed on the FMC scratchpad. Don't know why. Not that big a deal, I'm just a perfectionist- I don't like errors.

Guest tmetzinger

>Thanks for the quick reply. I have read the manuals that>came with it. I figured I would find information in the>systems manual, but found nothing. I didn't know about that>option in the styles menu- I wanted to leave that alone while>I learn just to simply my learning.>>As for the approach error- I entered the runway in DEPARR,>tuned both NAVs to the correct frequency, and both GS and LOC>showed up correctly. When the LOC began moving, I pressed VOR>LOC and it captured. When the GS started moving I pressed>APP, and activated the second autopilot. It captured>correctly, and flew a perfect CAT III, but the ERROR was>displayed on the FMC scratchpad. Don't know why. Not that>big a deal, I'm just a perfectionist- I don't like errors.You probably didn't set the inbound course in the MCP course window. (I.e. 181 for an ILS to rwy 18)It's not required for the autoflight system to track the localizer, but it does correctly align the HSI course index so you get the correct picture. This is important when flying the EFIS/MAP version instead of the PFD/ND version of the airplane.

Guest georg

>You beat me to it Georg! ;-)Hehe ;) At least I hope that the asker got smarter now.

Guest stockerharris

Christian,If I understand your concern correctly, it was that having corrected the situation the message did not go away on the FMC scratchpad.I think that you have to use 'CLR' to get rid of it. If you haven't corrected the sitution it will not clear.David.

Guest georg

Anyways, Im pretty sure that error appears because his actual approaching runway and the one in FMC do not match. He puts to the NAV one freq, but FMC knows another and knows that the other is correct. So he says that current frequency is something wrong and unknown and the one in his database is correct. And SET IT SET IT he says... :)

I AM the cause of that message LOL and yes Tim is right on but this goes for any NG not just EFIS style cockpits! If you had been following the correct approach checklist you would have set your MCP CRS window to the final approach course ;-) I call this the lazy approach pilot check haha and yopu bet it is on the real bird! [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | WD SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 |

David, I **think** the message should clear once you tune the MCP CRS window in but they way we have it it appears to not be the case. I will double check this but believe that it should be automatically removed after you resolve the issue. The lower EICAS will open by right clicking the upper then pushing the SYS of ENG buttons. The screen is BLANKED until you push them just like the real ND ;-) Ah realism, it hurts sooo good![h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | WD SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 |

Guest christianholmes

Well, you learn really quickly when it's trial by fire so, after my first attempted CAT III, I read through the manual.I did have the MCP course set, and I had both NAVs tuned correctly. The error still came up when the APP light extinguised. I have no idea why- It still flew the approach.Just to be 100% clear- the NAV radios are the two units on the center pedestal stand that say NAV right? I enter the freq. in the standby window, and then set it to active on both of them? I don't set these through the FMC, correct?