Sign in to follow this  
Guest Marv

NG runs fine, other planes now broken

Guest Marv

Ok,I've installed the PMDG and the new 800/900. Is anyone having problems with other aircraft not working now.I have 3 other aircraft that CTD's after 1/2 hr. or so of flying. All 3 planes worked fine before the install, (I think). Did you guys write anything to the registry or FS9 that would cause something like this. Any possible gauge conflicts. Marv

Marv-Take a search through the main FS forum and look for the "season change" problem...It creaps up in odd ways.... possibly this is what you are seeing...

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

LOL ah um NO marv ;-) It's called a seasonal CTD! It effects SPRING TIME. Please read thisHi all,just as a heads up, Jobia has released a new version ofhis global patch that fixes the CTDs during late fall and early spring. Thelikely hypothesis for the crashes is that the CTDs are triggered byincomplete or incorrect look-up tables for texture blending at airfields.The patch works by deactivating the new feature in FS9 that blends theunderlying landclass textures with the airport background (grassy) polygon.In other words, the airport grounds will look more like the FS2002 versionsagain, with singular textures.Currently, all the documentation is in German only, sohere's a quick guide for installation:1. Download crashto.zip athttp://jobia.bei.t-online.de/crashdes.htm and unzip into temporary folder,with "Use folder names" enabled.2. make a backup copy of your FS9terrain.cfg file3. copy the .bmp files from the PatchTexture folder intoyour FS9Texture folder4. copy one of the two replacement terrain.cfg files intoyour root FS9 folder. The version in the "terrain_cfg mit ..." folderretains the default blending of landclass textures along the utility lines,the version in "terrain_cfg ohne ..." replaces the blending with simpletextures. Both versions fix the seasonal CTD crashes, the additional changesto the utility corridors are just a pet peeve of Jobia and have no influenceon the crashes (in Europe, most utility corridors don't have clearings cut,unless they run through forested areas).The patch is easily reversible by deleting the newterrain.cfg and replacing it with the original. You don't have to delete the.bmp files that came with this patch because they get called only by thealtered terrain.cfg.Cheers, HolgerP.S.: For the technically inclined, Grahame has kindly(and freely) translated some of Jobia's information, copied from this posthttp://portal.fsgenesis.net/index.php?name...viewtopic&t=374 :"In my opinion,the main reason why this is happening isdue to the new Landclass funtion MaskClassMap2 in the terrain.cfg, and theway the airport ground polygons are displayed. The files in themselves workOK, but MS has changed the parameters of some of the associated data thatinfluence the way these files work."They saved programming time by building in a sort of"chameleon" effect into the data, so that the airport grass is displayedover the surrounding landclass scenery, in that the texture display switchesautomatically to a partner landclass file. This has the advantage that MSdoesn't have to worry about the ground texture polygons at airports.Theadvantage for MS is that the airport and surrounding scenery blend togethermore easily."It was well thought out, but unfortunately, it only workswith default landclass scenery."However, with addon landclass, the original landclasstextures are displayed at the airports, due to the fact that the partnerlandclass file doesn't work with the addon landclass data, and so you haveeffects like cornfields between the runways etc."One of the specific problems at Sion (and possibly why itcauses a CTD) is caused by the fact that the borderline for the texturechange to display the seasons runs right through the middle of theairport,and due to the new BGL coding in FS9, it's not possible to uselandclass data for the airport ground polygons, then you get unpleasanteffects like autogen trees etc all over the airport. So,you have to usetextures instead, to get round the problem with the "masking effect" that MSuses to make the programming easier."The only disadvantage from using textures instead oflandclass data is the fact that polygons only use one texture, independantfrom the size, whereas landclass has seven different polygon sizesavailable. But with grass at the airports it doesn't pose a big problem, asgrass always looks about the same everywhere."[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | WD SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 |

Guest Marv

I'll be darn. This is a first for me. Interesting..........OK, I'll give it a try. I don't use any addon scenery though. But, we are dealing with Microsoft. Marv

Guest Marv

Ok, ThanksThe funny thing is, The PMDG 737's fly fine, no CTD's. It's my other 3 that I tried failed. I would think that the seasonal problem would be a problem with the NG's also. Anyway, I'll give the other suggestions a shot.Marv

Guest HJOrtmann

there's an update available, which reduces further the possibility of "seasonal CTDs": in addition to the above, after installing the patch use the new terrain.cfg, which is included in terrain.zip at the same adress. It's just the file terrain.cfg, which has been updated.

Guest Marv

Ok, ThanksI'll give both a try.Marv

Hello,I do not know if this is relatedto the seasonal crash, but I did experience with the new 800 a crash. it was on aflight from KBFi to KMIA, the route was as follow:normy j90 hln j136 bil j151 wyatt j73 szw j41 pie cyy3When crash occured, the error message was Panels.dlli do not know if there is any relation with it or not, but may be it will help you. Cyrille de LattreAsus P4P800/P4 2.4 giga/1.5 giga DDR/Ati 9700 pro 128 meg

Guest Marv

Any information is good. I will be watching this post.ThanksMarv

The seasonal CTD will be in Panels.dll - that's true.(For any developers out there, the hint that the crash was due to a seasonal CTD is a corrupt stack with no backtrace available). That's of course - IF you're running in a debugger ;-).Best,

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest Marv

OK Guys,I have installed the "seasonal" fix as mentioned above. No Joy. I didn't think it was the problem, I don't use add-on scenery.I would think the PMDG aircraft would also CTD if it were a scenery problem. Like I have said before, I've never had this "seasonal" problem before. The PMDG 737 flys great, I have 3 other aircraft that now still CTD.Same wx, same Flight Plan/route, same everything. I may have other aircraft that crash, I don't know, but 3 is more than enough considering that this has not been a problem in the past.Is there anything else, such as gauges, effects, modules, other cfg. files that may or could cause a conflict with other planes in my folder. I see some that the installer has written in, not sure if I have found all of them. How about tcas, something? I'm not a beta tester for this aircraft, but I do have some experience in this area. What all did the installer install and where. Is there anywhere with such documentation. Any suggestions of any files that I can write out that might be a problem in this area.I really don't want to un-install the PMDG. I would rather find the problem with it, if it has one. Regards,Marv