Sign in to follow this  
oqvist

The performance fixes for the 600/700 for free thank you

Guest CaptTate

>As your system runs fine it

Guest rcarlson123

>If I pick another example. How about Microsoft delivering a>patch to improve performance in FS 2004? Would you gladly pay>for that? It only affects performance, texture loading>problems andother bugs found in FS 2004?>>You can pay to download the patch or buy the full product FS>2004 including service pack 1 ;)This example is flawed. For one, I doubt you'll ever see MS release an update that ONLY improves performance for a product that is no longer in development. And if they did, I'm sure they would charge for it. The closest example I can think of is when they released the "Windows Plus" packs that added features, tweaks, and games to their operating system. I believe those Plus Packs were about $20 each.The Microsoft Service Packs that you refer to are released primarily to distribute bug fixes and security patches. If they happen to have performance enhancements, then great, but that's not the reason for their existence.If Microsoft released an update for FS9 that ONLY improved frame rates, and did NOT fix any bugs or security problems, and made it available for free, then that would indicate that the MSFS management team one day said "Hey, let's take a handfull of programmers and have them spend some time working on frame rate improvements for FS9, even though the general concensus is that the sim performs just fine. And, we'll give it away." Not likely.The only way I could see that happening is if the majority of FS9 buyers were complaining about horrid performance in the sim. In that case, MS would have to admit that they did not deliver the product as advertised, and would have to bite the bullet and improve the performance for free. That's not the case with FS9, or with the PMDG 737 600/700.>And it

Guest Marv

Ross,The problem with that statement is that you HAVE to buy the 600/700 to make the 800/900 work. It's not a new product, it's an upgrade to the exhisting product which includes some enhancements that will work in the 600/700. (new 2d panel, FMC enhancements, TCAS, are the big ones) I don't care how you spin it. Hence the mis-understanding. If people really want a complete package, they have to buy both. The 600/700 is missing some features that some some feel should have been part of the original package. It's the presentation of the situation is what is confusing. If it were a complete new package, there would be no mis-understanding. Not that many vendors sell something like this as an upgrade. A few have. Sales would have reflected the differance also. Not as many would but the 800/900 by itself. Those that have been following the PMDG product's for some time I'm sure may have a different opinion, but for those who just came in the door, have an uneasy feeling about all of this. I bought both packages to get the 600/700 flying the way I want it. I'm one that could care less about the 800/900, if I wanted to fly a bigger plane, I would fly a bigger plane. I got used to the idea, so will others.Marv

Guest rcarlson123

>Ross,>>The problem with that statement is that you HAVE to buy the>600/700 to make the 800/900 work. It's not a new product, it's>an upgrade to the exhisting product which includes some>enhancements that will work in the 600/700. (new 2d panel, FMC>enhancements, TCAS, are the big ones) I don't care how you>spin it. Hence the mis-understanding. If people really want a>complete package, they have to buy both. The 600/700 is>missing some features that some some feel should have been>part of the original package. It's the presentation of the>situation is what is confusing. If it were a complete new>package, there would be no mis-understanding. Not that many>vendors sell something like this as an upgrade. A few have. Hi Marv, since you didn't quote my post, I'm not sure what statement you are referring to when you say "The problem with that statement ..." Can you clarify?There is no dispute that the 800/900 product requires that you own the 600/700 and thus it can certainly be called an upgrade as opposed to a stand-alone product. Either way, it's a product. Either way, they put time into it and deserve to be compensated. Charging for software upgrades is a common and fully legitimate practice.Clearly, there are two camps here. One camp says that the 600/700 product is not what it is advertised to be, and thus any performance increases gained during development of the 800/900 product should be given for free to those not wishing to buy the 800/900 product. That logic is sound, no doubt.The other camp says that the 600/700 product is just fine the way it is, and worth the money paid for, and lives up to it's advertising. Some members of this camp, such as myself, feel that the 600/700 exceeds what it is advertised as, and is worth MORE than was paid for it. This is also sound logic.Which camp is right? Neither. Both. It's up to PMDG to decide. Apparently, they have decided based on market reaction, average consumer feedback, etc., that camp two is right, and have thus halted further service updates (for bug fixes, performance increases, or otherwise) for that product. Given the overall positive reputation of PMDG and the 600/700 product, I think they are spot-on with that decision.>Sales would have reflected the differance also. Not as many>would but the 800/900 by itself. Those that have been>following the PMDG product's for some time I'm sure may have a>different opinion, but for those who just came in the door,>have an uneasy feeling about all of this. It's an interesting exercize to consider how many people would buy the 800/900 if it didn't require the 600/700 or if it didn't include improvements to the 600/700. I personally don't think there would be much difference in sales volume, but who knows. You seem to suggest that a significant number of people are buying the 800/900 only to bring the 600/700 up to the level they THOUGHT they were getting when they originally bought the 600/700. I can't agree. I think most people are buying the 800/900 for the new features ... whether they will experience those new features via flying the 600, 700, 800 or 900 variant is irrelevant. Either way, they are paying for new features (an upgrade, like you said) as they well should.>I bought both packages to get the 600/700 flying the way I>want it. I'm one that could care less about the 800/900, if I>wanted to fly a bigger plane, I would fly a bigger plane. This is a bit vague ... are you saying that you bought the 800/900 in order to get the 600/700 flying as well as you thought it would when you first bought it? Or are you saying that you bought the 800/900 in order to get the additional FMC functionality, TCAS, VC functionality, etc that you've always wanted for the 600/700? When you say "... to get the 600/700 flying the way I want it" I don't know what that means exactly. In other words, do you feel that you did not get your money's worth when you bought the 600/700?If so, I believe you are in the minority if that's your true purpose for buying the 800/900 product, but you and I can only speculate on that. Either way, it doesn't matter. In my view, and in PMDG's view, you got what you paid for when you bought the 600/700 (along with the free updates to 1.3) and thus any improvements included in the 800/900 are an upgrade, as you say, and many software companies justifiably and rightfully charge for upgrades.

Guest Jean Claude

Hi P

"It's not a new product, it's an upgrade to the exhisting product" It certainly IS a new product in and of itself. It's just that the requirements imposed require the 600-700 base to install it. That has nothing whatsoever to do with the question of it being a product to itself. Business choices are beyond the realm of discussion on this forum...[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | WD SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 |

Guest Daniel Pimentel
Yes but to me that explanation/excuse isn

Guest Marv

My post was an observation. Others agree with me. It's ok, I'm not mad. I know business. PMDG is making it work. If it were a poor product they wouldn't. But, I never said it was a bad product. I like the plane. I stand by what I said. I bought the 800/900 to get the 600/700 working as "I" think it should have to start with. Matter of fact, I didn't buy it until I heard about the "Upgrade". I wouldn't have if it were not for that. What I didn't know at the time, is that I would have to pay for it. Oh Well, that's the way it goes. What's done is done. Now, if I can get my problems with it solved..........I will be another happy PMDG flyer, Ready to recommend the "products". So......the way I am looking at this now is this: "The tech. support has been excellent. NOW THATS what's worth the extra bucks in my book." you can quote that if you like. I fly some other very nice aircraft. This isn't my first. Some aren't even in the market place. My standards are different, but I've been doing this along time. Marv

Guest Buck Bolduc

I understand the Tech. support is excelent. Not only from PMDG, allso from this forum. I suppose I'm lucky, havent needed any support from PMDG, works as advertised! I do appreciate Tims work and have read thru and used his tutorials. If he would post a Mail box/address I would send him a check, wont use paypal, a family memmber had a very bad experience with them.PMDG's addons in MHO are exceptional. I purchased both, was happy to see the added stuff for the 6/700. The new manual in MHO is allso very well done.I watched an interview with the chief developer of MS FS9 and he stated in no uncertain terms " No updates or Pro version for fs9". The guy doing the interview mentiond a bridge that spaned an island instead of linking the two islands it was supposed to, no response?MS knows MS FS has limitations, as we do. MS allso know about the third party devlopers can take up most of the slack built into fs9.Theoreticly PMDG could develop an addon that noone could run, at least without a $10.000 machine! Tradeoffs, tradeoffs, tradeoffs, thats what life is all about.Now, about that 747-400?Regards