Sign in to follow this  
Guest HercMighty

Chart Recommendations

Guest HercMighty

In order to get the most out of my purchase of the 737 what do I need as far as charts go? How about plates? I saw this on AVSIM from page not to long ago:http://www.dauntless-soft.com/PRODUCTS/Sim...s/framenav.htmlI have FSBUILD 2, will this pretty much be okay if I plan my routes here and then get plate software? Or do you find it nice to have paper IFR/VFR charts handy? I have been away from this for a while now so I am confused on how much is already built into FS. I know I can use FSBuild to do my original route, my concern is more for in flight and why I am leaning towards buying a SimPlate product. But I am interested in doing airplane faiulures in route and having to divert to different airports. Will the map within the flight simulator get me the information I need? Or do I need charts? Where is the best place to get some?

Guest EISN_CONTROL

To be honest,I fly only online.For that reason,I goto the Vatsim site,browse till I find the country where I'm flying to and from and goto the VACC or ARTCC wesbite. They invariable have charts which are uptodate and Free.I've heard good things about Simplates,but also remember that:1)There are no updates2)Pretty much only america is covered3)Price doesnt include printing which is expensiveFlying in Europe?Goto the VATUK website, it provides links to EVERY CHART IN THE UK for FREEFlying in the Ney York area? Follow the links below,not only does it give you the correct routing. But also the links for Charts!http://www.nyartcc.org/pilot/index.htmAnymore info required?:)John http://homepage.eircom.net/~eamonnmca/images/logo_ba.JPGwww.bavirtual.co.uk Senior Captain Simflight.com Staff Reviewer

Guest Paul Heaney

If you consider 1 Less click as "Better" :)

Guest GunDog

One more option that has worked well for me was to go to a local airport Fixed Base Operator (FBO) and ask them if they would give me thier OUTDATED pubs. I believe they have to tear the cover off and send it back in order to get credit, but at my local FBO, the rest goes in the trash. Over the course of time, I have accumulated almost all the approaches for the USA. It may not longer be good for real-life flying (expired), but they are more than adequate for sim flying. PLUS, all the approaches in in one condensed booklet instead of using up toner and scattered all over my room.The downside is the booklets are only regional and in my case, only get the approaches for 5 states in one booklet.Of course, if your FBO is not as cooperative, then the previosuly mentioned posts are good options.One more note... if you are going to print your approaches on 8.5x11 paper, I would suggest starting with a binder and tabbing it by States/countries and keeping the approaches alphabetically organized in some order. Eventually, you'll have accumulated all the approaches you need in your binder. Happy flying.Mark

Two other suggestions, check out fsnavigator.com I use it for the moving map it is great for a map reference. And as far as charts go you can go to myairplane.com they have all USA charts and I think you can buy a disc from them which I heard is better quality than their free ones for like $11 or something. Two excellent sites.

________________________________________________________________________________

i9 10800K | 16GB RAM | RTX 3080 | Windows 10 | 

Saitek x-45 | Bravo Throttle | Alpha Yoke | CH Pedals | Logitech Radio Panel | SmoothTrack | AAO

Try this: http://www.dauntless- soft.com/PRODUCTS/SimPlates/frame.html I think you'll be very pleased with the scope of SimPlates and the cost. If you're really into flying the iron, you'll need plates similiar to these.

Guest TrafficTraffic

Yes, 1 click better. ;-)Lee Hetherington, PP-ASEL (KBED)