Sign in to follow this  
Guest pez_man

last night the TCAS saved my life...

Guest pez_man

Hi!Well, near collisions up in the flight levels have been unusual so far, but guess what happened at FL300 on my first flight with the TCAS figured out and activated... LOL!:-) The TCAS worked like a charm, even if the pilot was too surprised to take any actions :-)rgrdsfredrik granforshttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/73548.jpg

Guest TrafficTraffic

Glad it worked for you, but you're not supposed to turn with a TCAS encounter: only climb or descend.Why no climb despite the "Climb, Climb" followed by "Increase Climb, Increase Climb" it appears you received (based on V/S red/green)?EDIT: Got it now. You were the pilot too surprised to take the proper actions. ;-)Lee Hetherington, PP-ASEL (KBED)

Guest rcarlson123

Just out of curiosity, why not turn? Especially when the other aircraft is on a head-on course and is that close? I'm a PP-ASEL as well (based at KBTV, not far from you Lee :)) and I was taught to turn right when on a head-on converging course, in order to keep the other aircraft in plain view of the left-seat pilot. (I have zero real-world experience with TCAS or commercial procedures ... this is purely a curiosity question.)As a side note, Lee, do you ever fly out of KBED on VATSIM? I'm a controller in the Boston area, working on my approach certification, so I cover KBED quite a bit when I'm on, which is usually after 9:00 PM eastern.

Guest Lenny Zaman

LEe, the normal way of 'giving way' to approaching head on traffic IS a right turn but by BOTH aircraft.The TCAS however does not give this information, only the vertical separation resolution advisory.Therefore the correct action should've been a right climbing turn...Cheers

No Lee is correct. TCAS will give guidance for avoidance by climbs or descents NOT TURNS, TCAS can predict at CURRENT rates where both aircraft will be but cannot mind read, what do you think would happen of both aircraft turned into each other insted of ONE CLIMBING and ONE DESCENDING (this is what TCAS does in real life, one aircraft is commanded to CLIMB and the other to DESCEND). Vertical separation encompasses all needed separation so simply place the aircrarft out of the danger zone by positioning the aircraft out of the RED INDICATIONS by the commands on the PFD. [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | WD SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 |

Guest TrafficTraffic

I know what the normal visual avoidance procedure is (right turn), but we're talking TCAS here. If TCAS tells you to "Climb, Climb" you better do it. In the real world, the other pilot is likely getting "Descend, Descend" at the same timeThe problem is that the bearing measurement for TCAS is too unreliable to go by. TCAS III was supposed to provide horizontal RAs, but it was deemed too unreliable.If you are visual, that may be a different matter, but if you don't have them visually, you had best listen to TCAS. If you had climbed when TCAS told you to, you would have cleared by at least 300' vertically. TCAS is only modelling vertical maneuvers, not horizontal at all. In fact, TCAS can work just fine with no bearing measurements.Lee Hetherington, PP-ASEL (KBED)

Guest captbulldog 2

2 opposing aircrafts should not be flying at the same flight level!

Guest pez_man

Yeah, the not so professional acting pilot was me :-) BTW, thanks a lot for the TCAS, it really adds that extra dimension to flying this beautiful bird!rgrds fredrik granfors

Guest pez_man

Actually, I was climbing through FL300 going for FL350! cheers!

Guest LLgaz

True. But lots of things should not be happening, yet they do. That's why most places have a POLICE force and technology like TCAS was invented so that when the "not supposed to happen" happens, there are failsafes to deal with them. :)