Sign in to follow this  
AvA757Pilot

600/700 V-speed approach settings

Some questions on this subject:I get an FMC alert that the Vref Approach speeds have not been entered. Is this entered thru the FMC...and if so, what page? If I leave the Speed Select switch set to AUTO- does this accomplish setting Vref for approach?If I set the Speed Select Switch to Vref...what do I need to do to enter the value...enter it in the MCP airspeed window?And-assuming a way IS found to enter Vref...does it appear on the PFD airspeed tape like it does for takeoff speeds?I looked thru the mnaual and could not find specific references to answer these questions.While I wait for answers I guess I should go and download the 800!Thanks everyone,Roger Curtiss

I get an FMC alert that the Vref Approach speeds have not been entered. Is this entered thru the FMC...and if so, what page? When coming down in descent push the INIT REF button which will bring up the APP REF page. Push the line select key next to the SPEED/flaps setting you will be using (should be flaps 30) this will make the entry BIG and will also clear the message.If I leave the Speed Select switch set to AUTO- does this accomplish setting Vref for approach? No. By the time you get G/S you will either be setting the SPEED MANUALLY on the MCP or hand flying and maintaining speed manually.If I set the Speed Select Switch to Vref...what do I need to do to enter the value...enter it in the MCP airspeed window? Complicated to go into here but in general yes, this is the same as my previous answer) you will set the speed on the MCP speed window IF you are out of VNAV. And-assuming a way IS found to enter Vref...does it appear on the PFD airspeed tape like it does for takeoff speeds? Yes, that is what happens when you select the APP VREF from the APP REF page. Maintain VREF + 5. [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | WD SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 |

Thank you Randy for the quick response.Just so there is no misunderstanding...when I mentioned the Speed Select switch I am NOT refering to the MCP speed select but the small switch on the main panel next to the N1 reference switch.Roger Curtiss

Ignore that. After you enter your weights etc on the PER INIT and fill in the other required pages like TO REF simply left-click on the LSKs (line select keys on the CDU)next to the V Speeds, this will give you your takeoff vspeeds automatically. That selector is there for other reasons but your FMC is not broke is it? [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | WD SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 |

No, my FMC is working just fine. I took a flight last night and everything went smoothly. Once I was airborne the INIT REF page was shwing projected APP V-speeds...the system works!Thanks again.Roger Curtiss

Great! Of course you can manually input the ref speeds with the selector (NOTE: if one is using the PFD style switching the selector to WT will cause the elements on the PFD to blank, this is a BUG that will be fixed asap) but does work fine for the EFIS style displays. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | WD SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 |

One more question on the ref speed selector-for WT, it goes up to 150(000) only...fine for '600 and '700, but not enough for a fully loaded '800 or '900...unless it's supposed to be for landing weight-but the manual says 'reference gross weight'?Best, Martijn