Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Speed brakes (spoilers)

Hi,Last night I was doing a flight and when I tried to arm the spoilers during my descent the 'Spoilers armed' light never illuminated, never seen this problem before. Are there any special things you should be aware of before arming the spoilers that I don't know of or was it hopefully only a 'one-time-only' bug?Cheers,

Richard Åsberg

Richard,The reason why the 'armed spoilers' didnt illuminate is becausethey were NOT actyally armed, simply.Unlike with the 600/700, you cant arm them anymore with shift /.You need to do so by clicking the proper place on the throttle panel.One single click and you're done. Unfortunately, and I'm trying to investigate myself,even 'armed' they dont delaoy at touch down.I read somewhere the throttle had to be at absolute idle position,but even this dont help.Regards,Arnaud Solvay, LFPG

Guest Fjorko

Your throttles need to be COMPLETELY in the IDLE position before the wheels touch the ground, otherwise the spoilers do not deploy.Also search the forum for this topic that has been beaten to death already ! ( Speedbrake, Spoilers as keywords)

I wait as the altitude call outs wind down and just before touchdown I make sure hit F1. This has worked for me.

>Your throttles need to be COMPLETELY in the IDLE position>before the wheels touch the ground, otherwise the spoilers do>not deploy.>>Also search the forum for this topic that has been beaten to>death already ! ( Speedbrake, Spoilers as keywords)Hmmm, I've read the you're reffering carefully.So, I kept the throttle at IDLE, but it didnt help.The spoilers didnt deploy.I will try the F1 key.I maight add that I was landing AUTO 2 channels. Arnaud Solvay, LFPG

Guest Fjorko

Was your Speedbrakes armed using the MOUSE (NOT SHIFT+/)

Pieter,This is exactly what I wrote above: armed spoilers with the mouseclick on the throttle panel, 'armed spoilers' illuminated.Now, I have the answer: I've just tested a second ago:in manual landing, the spoilers deploy fine at touchdown.BUT, in auto-land with, thus, auto-throttle ON, very logicallythe spoilers dont deploy, BECAUSE the throttle isnt at idle.So it seems now this small issue will need to be fixed somehow.Spoiler function correctly in manual landings, but NOT in autoland.Regards,Arnaud Solvay, LFPG

Guest Fjorko

Did you hit F1 when the plane flared jut before touchdown ( While doing an Autoland ? )

Pieter,yes, I've just tried it: as a matter of fact, I missed this F1 tip.Pressing F1 just at flare makes it better than pulling down thethrottle. Fixed.On another note, should not the orange light, just below the greenone 'armed spoilers', illuminate when the spoilers actually deploy?Anyway, now the spoiler deploy in auto-land mode.I'm happy,Thanks lots.Regards,Arnaud Solvay, LFPG

Hi Arnaud>On another note, should not the orange light, just below the green>one 'armed spoilers', illuminate when the spoilers actually deploy?Nah. That is an ol' DF thing I think.That light is actually the "SPEED BRAKE DO NOT ARM" light.- The light is deactivated when the speed brake lever is in the down detent.- The light is illuminated when there is an abnormal condition or abnormal test inputs to the automatic speed brake system.Hope it helps

Hey Mats,Thanks for the prompt reply.indeed that light was illuminated in the old DF.Now I can go and enjot fully this outstanding aircraft.Sadly, the carrier for which I work dont operate these birds.My best Regards,Arnaud Solvay, LFPG

Thanks everyone for the info!But how does it work in the real thing when AT is active in an autoland configuration?

Richard Åsberg