Sign in to follow this  

Strange Lockups

Hi there.I've got some very strange lockups. They occur totally random in flight. Sometimes after 10 minutes, sometimes after half an hour. The screen only shows a green line at the top of the monitor. The other space is just black. Only a hard reset can cure this.The problem showed up after I installed my new Geforce4 TI4600. I've tried all the nvidia driver from 27.42 to 29.80. Also the new Via drivers 4.38 and 4.40.Tried different resolutions in FS2002 to no avail. I've checked the AGP settings, no side band adressing or fast writes. AGP4x worked fine before so I don't think that this could cause the problem.I also don't think that the temperature is a critical part. As I said the lockup appears also only a few minutes into the game after a fresh windows boot.There are no other programs running in the background. Absolutely none. In other words: HEEEEEEEELP!!!Many regardsMartinMy specsAMD Thunderbird 1400MhzAsus Geforce4 TI4600Soundblaster LiveMSI K7T266512MB RAMWinMe

Guest gasebah

Check your memory timings. I had to go slow on memory timings when I installed my GF4Ti4600. 29.60 cured the prob for me however. Mem is running on full speed again.Alex

Guest PaulL01

Could be an IRQ is being shared, make sure that the card has its own IRQ. Also could be a power supply problem, you need good clean power for a GF4, some where around 400+ watts is good especialy if you use a lot of other hardware like two hard drives, a CD burner + DVD extra fans etc. Some PS's just dont cut it and it will start to show at a certain point, the lockup point. :-rollWhat PS do you have?Here is a little info on the subject that might intrest you: http://www.amdworld.co.uk/power.htmRegards,

Guest Joshieca

What are your CPU temps at during full load?What size power supply are you using?I heard that the GF4 44/4600's need at least a 300W supply...make sure that you have that and proper air flow..[br][br][div align=center]http://members.cox.net/joshieca/fstimeslink.gif

I only got a 300W PS. Maybe that could cause the lockups?CPU temperature is around 69

Guest SoarPics

The 300W should be powerful enough, though I prefer my 430W Enermax.That temp though... my 1.4 Tbird is fast asleep by then. Might want to try the house-fan-in-the-open-case thing just to rule out heat.Stay cool,

Check to see if you have Microsofts backup utility installed on your system. For Windows 98, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Windows Setup, System tools.( not sure where it is in Me ) If you do remove it.Known culprit of black screen with green line.

You mean PCHealth or the system recovery? I only have PCHealth running.

Guest SD Sim

Hi Martin,I agree with Greg, 69C is far too hot. I had problems with system lock-ups at 64C. Bought a new fan and brought the load temp down to 54C. No more lock-ups. However with a cpu temp. that high, I don't think blowing air in the case will help (more likely to cool the motherboard, which probably is getting pretty warm as well). While I suspect your fan is operating, you might want to check to be certain. Either way, my recommendation would be to cool the cpu down significantly. You can buy a Thermaltake Volcano 6+ for a mere $15 (US). They're easy to install, and may be the cheapest solution to your problem. Warning - you may need to invest in a good set of earplugs as well. They're pretty loud.

Guest Joshieca

Your CPU temp is high......while AMD says it can handle 90c...I have had some trouble going above 62c....You should check to make sure that your heatsink fan for your CPU is making proper contact. If you can, shine a flashlight from behind and if you can see any light coming from UNDER the heatsink/fan and the top of the CPU then you don't have good contact....from the sides is fine, just not from under.You should purchase some Artic Silver III and follow the directions.http://www.articsilver.com/as3.htm(clean your CPU's die, follow the directions on the site above)Your CPU temps should be under 60c after about 30mins of game play...during the summer a few clicks higher are ok. (62c).

Just noticed the temps your running.You have to cool that puppy down.Below 60C you should be Ok but you should work to low 50's.Short term fix, take off the case covers and get a house fan and blow it into the case and see if the problem goes away.Clean out the dust first.

Well, I don't think that the CPU temperature is the problem. All other games run stable and FS2002 with my old geforce3, too. So the problem must be somewhere else. Maybe the Geforce4 is getting too hot? It's not overclocked.Right now the lockups changed from green line to normal screenfreeze.Very strange...

Usually, I find comparisons to other games can really mislead us when it comes to troubleshooting 2K2.... 2K2 uses much more memory and cpu cycles--more than any 3D game I've seen. If a hardware problem, the excess cpu heat may also be giving instability issues to your MB RAM and/or video card RAM. Although not a good comparison, I have a P3 which runs around 39-40C, and MB temps are usually around 32-34C, against a room temp around 78-82 F. Once left 2K2 running at night by accident, and well into the next day--ended up around an 18 hour session. Never had a problem...Just for kicks, what happens when you disable 2K2's AI and hardware T&L? Both seem to add issues to 2k2 under some circumstances...-John

Thanks to all for the suggestions!I got it running stable now. Changed the AGP MB from 128 to 64. Seems to work fine.For now.... :-hah