Sign in to follow this  
Guest chris_kirk

LOWI Visual Approach Runway 34

Guest chris_kirk

Anyone familiar with this approach? I've flown it a couple of dozen times now with varying degrees of success... for some reason I find it easier with the larger 800 and 900 models than the 600 and 700. I haven't actually crashed yet but I have had a few hairy moments when I've rolled out onto short finals and found myself somewhat lower than I expected to be!When flown in the real world at what stage would the aircraft be put into full landing configuration? Whilst still inbound to the SI NDB? Or perhaps after SI whilst tracking 130? Or perhaps (and probably most likely) flaps 15 is set after SI while tracking 130 then turn to short final at SBG 14.7d and then a very rapid deployment of gear and remaining flaps?Thanks for any replies,Chris Kirk

Guest wee_davie_2612

Hey Chris>found myself somewhat lower than I expected to be!This is probably because the eypoint on the 6/700 is out of wack. Try flying a standard dual channel ILS approach and watch what happens to the PAPI's when on finals. You should see that at 10 miles (or what ever) the PAPI's will show correctly but by the time your at two miles or less the PAPI's will show you as flying too high all the while the instruments are spot on. This makes full visual approaches near enough impossible unless you manually follow the FD to stay on the GS.Anyway - Can you tell us what chart your using (and possibly a link to it)? I'm having trouble finding SI NDB and SBG on the SASFS charts I have. Also are we talking about Innsbruck? The runways there are 26 and 08.Let us know,Cheers,David

Guest thscholz

Looks like at least one of you got lost.SI, RWY 34...in LOWI:-hmmm I guess you're talking about LOWS.Get the charts here : http://www.firwien.atGo to the Pilot's Area and you will find the charts you need.CheersThomas

Guest wee_davie_2612

Hey Thomas,>Looks like at least one of you got lost.I'm not lost at all, must be the other guy! :)I couldn't find SI etc. which is why I questioned the airport designator. If it is LOWS that the question is about, then I can't help just now - never been there. I'll look at the charts above and get back to you.Now where did I leave that airplane?? ;)CheersDavid

Guest wee_davie_2612

Hey Chris,From the charts Thomas linked to:CIRCLING PROCEDURE RWY 34Complete a published instrument approach to RWY 16;After passing locator SI proceed VISUALLY approximately on track 130

Guest wee_davie_2612

Hey Chris,I've just finished flying the approach, twice infact. The way I suggested above does work although you have to be one the ball during the visual turn. I was landing at Mlw.My first attempt ended up too high mainly due to setting the minimums alt too high (some 400ft), I also turned onto 130

Guest chris_kirk

My apologies to all... I was, of course, referring to LOWS. The visual approach to 34 must be quite spectacular in real life. I use the European Enhanced Terrain mesh from Abacus in FS and it really does give a good impression of massive terrain all around you as you make (or attempt to make) this approach.It's definitely one of the trickiest approaches I've flown in FS and, on the rare occasions I get it right, one of the most satisfying. In the more common occasions that I get it wrong I am left wondering how the heck real world 757's manage to make it... and I believe they do!Thank you all for your replies. I'll try it again with full landing config by SI. With the power required to arrest the descent at SI and then make a 206 degree turn with gear down and flaps 30, I imagine that noise abatement is not a consideration at this airport!Chris Kirk

Guest wee_davie_2612

Hey Chris,>Thank you all for your replies. I'll try it again with full>landing config by SI. With the power required to arrest the>descent at SI and then make a 206 degree turn with gear down>and flaps 30, I imagine that noise abatement is not a>consideration at this airport!I was flying a flaps 40 approach! The way I was flying it was to intercept the LOC and GS in the normal fashion using the CMD and A/T (what can I say, I'm lazy). Once descending and stabilized I switch of the CMD and fly manually while leaving the A/T on to do its thing. After turing track 130

Guest chris_kirk

David,I wonder if they get many avalanches in the winter when 34 is active... :( Chris Kirk