Sign in to follow this  
Guest Premier Airways

Slow Frame Rates

Guest Premier Airways

Need some help, still suffering from poor fram rates (2-8FPS at times). I have a Pentium 4 2.66 Ghz processor, 2Gig ram, Radeon 9600 video card. My settings in the flight sim are set to minimum, or medium. I tried deleting the config file, but to no result. I am not sure if I have something set wrong somewhere, and have tried a lot of different ideas. This is not limited to PMDG aircraft, all aircraft. Any help would be really great. Thanks in advance for your help.Paulpaulherman@cox.net

Paul,YOu have to post your settings in DETAIL. I have a P7 1.7 system with only 512mb of ram, nVidia 4200Ti/64 video card and with the lastest release of the PMDG 737-800 I am getting 18-20fps locked at 20 almost all the time. Are you running in full screen or windowed mode, what else is running in the background on your system. Have you tried Ken Salters FSStart program which can shut down a lot of un-needed programd and services in Win XP. With a 2.6ghz system you should be way higher than what you are. Somehting ain't right on your rig. When this happen what airport are you at. Next are you using any other add-ons.Bob

Guest Nickman

I don't think it has anything to do with your hardware since it looks like you have a nice performance PC but there is definately something wrong. I'm on an AMD 2.25 ghz (about the same as an Intel P4 2.8 or so) and I get about 40 - 50 fps in the cockpit and about 20 - 30 fps outside, depending on the airport and traffic). There are a few things you could try to isolate your problem:1) Change your framerate maximum to about 50 if it's lower than 502) If you have any add-on sound cards, take them out and use the onboard sound3) Try clearing your CMOS (should be a jumper on your motherboard) and reset everything to make sure some there aren't any settings in the BIOS that may be conflicting4) Check your CPU temperatures; sometimes high temperatures often make your system unstable and a risk for overheating (I believe the normal Intel P4 "error-free" temp is about 50 deg C)5) Try other high 3D graphics games to isolate it within MSFS instead of your PC6) Download the latest graphic card driversI just threw some things out I would give a try if I had the problem. Some people may have better solutions but these are what I would try myself.Nick B.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/900driver.jpg--AMD Athlon XP 3200+ @ 2.25 Ghz (405 mhz FSB)nVidia GeForce FX 52002 x 512 PC400

Guest navneet_cxp

I have an AMD Athlon XP 1700+ Revision (:( overclocked to 2.1Ghz.512MB of Ram,Sound Blaster X-Gamer 5.1Ati Radeon 9600 128MB(Omega Drivers)I get 40 frames.Try updating your display drivers and you Via Hyperion drivers to the latest version by ati i.e 4.4 catalyst or try the tweaked version by omega at www.omegacorner.com.-Navneet-|www.precisionmanuals.com|-http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg

Guest amerton

Paul,No clue... but just in case : check your paging file configuration, it should be system managed.See pinned up post "Possible solution..."anthonyAnthony MertonPrecision Manuals Developmenthttp://www.precisionmanuals.com

Guest Premier Airways

Bob,I am running in full screen mode. Also, running only Instant Message in the back round. I do run Project AI traffic, FS Navigator, and a few add on scenery. (KCLE). I have a tough time in Seattle, and a couple other airports(Midway, O'Hare, Atlanta, and Newark) to name a few.

Guest thx1137

I get an average of 7 to 9 frames on my system sitting at YSSY. My framerate is 25-35 when switching aircraft to the PMDG 1900D. This is with a cloudy sky with all Fs2004 options on highest level at 1280*1024, except all shadows are off, AA is 2 and AF is 4. I turned off the flight plan truncating on compass setting.I have found the following:1. Selecting the PFD displays costs me 2 FPS more than EFIS displays2. The LCD update rate never had much of an effect before, now it can vary my FPS by about around 8 FPS (difference between 2 and 10 update rate, I used to have it at 10)3. The VC costs me an extra 3-4 FPSThe FPS varies little on what I set my graphics options to. If I lower them all to mid level I can get to 12 or so FPS in the VC. Changing my graphics card driver settings (AA, AF, etc) make no difference to FPS. It seems to me that my system is CPU bound because big changes to graphics quality make small differences to FPS. I would love to know how some of you guys with much slower machines are getting better FPS! (hmmm, it would be cool to write a tool to grab FS related machine info, hardware, driver versions, FS configs, etc...)I did some testing after deleting all unnecessary tasks including the Explorer shell and my FPS didn't improve, there were not 3rd part Fs utils running. I can fly at around 17 FPS in the 2d panel so I will do that, it's a pity because I thought I might try to get used to the VC. :-(My specs are:P4 3 GHz running at 3.3 GhzATI 9800 XT video card512 Mb RAMLatest registered FSUIPC

Guest Nickman

Try some of the tests I recommended in my previous post to isolate the problem and maybe fix it. Also make sure your pagefile settings are at the highest by going to Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance (Settings) > Virtual Memory and set the Page File size to the recommendedNick B.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg--AMD Athlon XP 3200+ @ 2.25 Ghz (405 mhz FSB)nVidia GeForce FX 52002 x 512 PC400

Guest thx1137

>Try some of the tests I recommended in my previous post to>isolate the problem and maybe fix it. Also make sure your>pagefile settings are at the highest by going to Start >>Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance (Settings) >>Virtual Memory and set the Page File size to the recommendedI have the latest drivers for all my hardware. Fs2004 is on it's own partition, the Windows and FS partitions are defragmented using PerfectDisk regularly (including pagefile, MFT, etc) My pagefile is locked at the Windows recommended setting. My temp monitors report my system is running cool.In Call of Duty I get 60 FPS on everything max out at 1280x1024. I get over 38 FPS fps looking at water and over 45FPs looking in jungle in FarCry at it's highest settings, including "insane high" for water at 1280x1024. Damn pretty game that one. :-) The ATI driver settings are unchanged when testing FPS in all games.Oh, and it is Windows XP SP 1 with no critical updates outstanding. I use a USB CH yoke and my RAM is PC3200 so it's fairly quick.I would be interested to compare my PMDG D1900 <-> PMDG 737 ratios with others, mine is about 3fps to 1. That might give a good hint as to if there is a problem or if it is 'just the way it is'.Steven W.

Guest Ricky81

It will be good to know if the people that say that have great frame rates what kind of display options have in FS.I have the Detailed cloud option, this takes away too much frames, not only system settings could give a solution, but also try the Display Settings in FS.I still prefer to have the detailed clouds instead of 20 or 25 frames per sec with the 738/9.

Guest Nickman

Well, I I'm not exactly sure how much more detailed FS is to FarCry, but to me it sounds like its more Flight Simulator than your computer. Try to download some game demos like Unreal Tournament, Halo, etc. and see how well it performs.And if anyone's wondering what my display settings are, here they are:800 x 600 display in FSSettings in display are all set to custom (like ulta high but has autogen scenery)Sound is highAircraft details are all as high as they can beWeather is set to detailed clouds at 70%My hardware settings are massive global tex, frame rates are unlimited, and all "image filters" are set to high on Bilinear filtering.With all the settings, I get an average of 30 fps on the ground in the cockpit at most major airports with about 20 fps spot view, and I get an average of about 60 - 100 fps at cruising altitude (in the cockpit) depending on the weather below.Nick B.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg--AMD Athlon XP 3200+ @ 2.25 Ghz (405 mhz FSB)Soyo VIA KT600 Dragon PlusnVidia GeForce FX 5200 128 mb2 x 512 PC400100 GB Western Digital

Guest Ray CYYZ

Just a minor point: when giving your frame rates, completely disable the frame rate limiter and give the stable number at a specific location, like sitting at the end of a runway at airport xxx with date/time.It makes statements so much more useful when trying to compare things.Ray

Guest Ricky81

Nickman,How can you do it?, I have a computer with specs like yours, its a 2.66 ghz, Intel Pentium 4, 512 mb of ram, 120 gb, nVidia GeForce FX 5200 128 mb.Is it the Ram memory?I get, parked at the airport with dense scenery around 15 to 17 FPS, and sometimes lower, (yesterday online flying in EGKK, had 7 all the time) in the air it never gets above 20 fps.I mean, I have everything made for a great machine, but it seems that the PMDG Panel is giving too few fps in my computer.I have tried a lot of things, changing the display options, and still no result.Regards.Rick

Guest thx1137

All my numbers are with the limiter set to Unlimited.Steven W.

Guest thx1137

Far Cry is WAY more detailed than FS2004 though it is not a flight sim so it isn't an apple to (another kind of) apple comparison.I can get 30 FPS in the 739 (and 39-40 FPS in the D1900) by having the following settings, which are basically as low as you can go:Screen: 800x600Terrain Mesh: 0Texture Size: LowWater Effects: NoneSpecial Effects: LowScenery Complex: Very Sparse Atogen Density: OffSun and lens flare: OffTexture blending: offExtended textures: offVC cockpit: LowReflections: OffAircraft shadows: OffLanding Lights: OffWeather Sight: 60Cloud sraw: 303-d clouds 10Simple cloudsT & L: OnMip mapping: NoneHardware Lights: 1Global textures: very smallThe view is terrible! Somehow I don't thing your flying with these settings :-)I guess I might reinstall, groan.