Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Whats up with Directx 8.1b and MS -file no longer avail

Just went back to MS and noted they seem to have removed the new 8.1b from the site. Does this mean for those of us who down loaded the file we may now have a problem. After all the discussion some days ago about 8.1b being available I downloaded it just like others. I have Windows ME, but not sure if this was the right thing to do now that MS seems to have removed it from there site. Anyone having problems with the 8.b.CP

Guest Scott Campbell

C,One can pretty well assume any version of DirectX has numerous problems. I think when Mr. Bill has his system crash, then it gets pulled. :-lol

Guest PaulL01

Not sure what problems Scott has had with DX in itself, each version seems to bring quite a bit of advancements and considering the range of software it covers the fact is that the DX crew at MS have been doing a terrific job these past few years with compatibility performance and quality. MS still have DX8.1b up at the same links that I posted last week, to check them out and get the latest info go here:http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...ewmode=threadedTake care,

I loaded up DX 8.1b, and have been running it without a hitch for the past week. Never had the flashing texture issue w/prior versions (in reference to the thread you had opened), so nothing to observe there. One thing I have noticed--FS2002's smooth performance seems even smoother w/ DX 8.1b.... Can't quantify it, other than just the sense of it...-John

Must be somthing wrong with your system, Scott.I've been running FS for years now and have never had one problem with DirectX - and the same goes for Version 8.1b.I think MS have done a fantastically great job with FS2002, DirectX, Windows, et al. If I listened to the negative posts and grumbles about MS in all the flight sim forums I'd never go flying at all :-lolDavid

I have a Soyo Dragon+ MOBO with AMD 1800+ and dual boot Win98SE and WinXP Pro. I installed the DirectX 8.1b on the Win98SE side. The thing I noticed, not about the DirectX update, but the visual presentation on the Win98SE side is not as crisp as the WinXP side. The opening screen with the 747 has these pronounced blotches under the nose and chin of the 747. The blotches are there on the WinXP side but nowhere nears as pronounced.I checked all the settings between the Win98SE and WinXP sides and they are set identically. The only difference is how the graphics adapter drivers, and probably different parts, are installed and used. The hardware is the same!I didn't notice if the scenery jumping was fixed on the Win98SE side but I didn't notice any at the airport I flew.Observations!!:-lol