Sign in to follow this  
Guest allblack

VOR tracking for the vertically challenged

Hi Michael,Good catch. I missed that one. You are very right.But I think Lowell probably meant 360 but was confusing the number with the number of days in a year. Easy mistake to make.Happy Flying!Bill MolonyAtlanta GA USAUnder the 27L Approach to KATL--the busiest airport in the world :)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Before I offer my suggestion, I want to be clear that I have not read through the entire thread. So if this is duplicated information, ignore me, please. I just want to offer a simple solution that should have you happy in a short amount of time...If you can gain access to some approach plates like at clearanceunlimited, you can see a strange symbol at the "outer marker". It looks like some concentric circles. Without getting too techincal it's a LOM (NDB) station and it can be tracked with the ADF needle. Judge (this will come through experience) from your HSI or EHSI course setting your relation to the ILS course. Keep an eye on the ADF needle and when it starts to point more to the direction of the ILS course bars you know it's time to start a turn towards the runway (even in IMC this works incredibly well). The ADF needle points toward the outer marker on the ILS path when it is tuned in to the LOM frequency. The needle will take you to this point, I promise. The more shallow the angle to the outermarker LOM the easier it will be to intercept and capture the localizer. I hope that makes sense. This works for me when I don't want to fly the entire published procedure turn and such. Of course if you want to be as real as it gets, fly the procedure turn. There is a lesson on it in the tutorials section of FS. Sorry I don't have any pictures to help with my explanation.Happy landings!:-kewl

WOW!I've been simming for some time, and have always intended to take some time and finally get to grips with the world of navigiation, but VOR's, NBD's, DME's etc have always had me running scared.Many's the time I've sat down with a few beers, and tried to get my head around this stuff, and 20 mins later given up.These posts have been fascinating to read, even if I understood only every eleventh word!!Before I was scared. Now I'm petrified !!I will keep trying, but honestly can't see how I will ever get to grips with all this stuff.I've looked at websites generally called "navigation for the stupid", but it seems no matter how much someone tries to simplify this, the fact remains that it's damn complicated.One day........I might be able to match it with you guys. Meantime, I remain in awe.CheersAllblack

Hi Allblack,It's really not all that bad. Don't be afraid. The worst thing that can happen is that you get totally lost. Then you just open up your GPS and fly to the nearest airport. Like I said earlier, the only thing you have to lose is your pride. The same could not be said in reality :(. So don't be afraid, turn off the GPS and tune in your radio. Everything will be OK.

What! Turn off the GPS????And fly like it should be done???I might as well chop off a leg.......Sometime, when I have a free year, I'll get my head around this stuff, coz GPS takes all the fun out of it, but.....it's only a wee click away. Bit like people reliant on soft toys for comfort.Anyway, whilst we're on this subject, has anyone noticed how the altimeter reading on the 777 always seems to be one millibar below the advised altitude reading?In usual flight, the reading is generally 2992, however on the 777 it defaults to 2991, and repeated hitting of the 'B' key doesn't change it. I need to always increase it by one by twiddling the knob on the altimeter dial.All other a/c seem fine.Is there a point I'm missing here?ThanksAllblack