Sign in to follow this  

Downloads

Hi everyone, this is a bit off topic but since we all download so much I figured this would be the best place to start. Here's the problem. All of a sudden when I download something instead of Windows or Internet Explorer asking me what I want to do with it, the download just starts and then my Winzip pops up when its finished. I like to put my downloaded zips into a certain file, but now it just sticks it in the temp internet folder. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Guest Heather 636

G'Day Bryan!I can't recommend enough for you to download "Get Right." http://getright.com/For one, it will give you control over where you want your downloads to go. You can have it assign virus-scan software that you may have to scan downloads as they come in. You can assign priority to downloads, from very low, to very high, depending upon which one you want first.The biggest thing that has made me use it for years is it's "resume" feature.When you're downloading from the generic windows method, if you get disconnected, you have to start all over again. Get Right will resume a download from where it left off.Anyway, the best way to check it out is download it and play. I think you will be pleased.Good luck!HeatherThe propeller is there to keep the pilot cool. Think not? Watch how much you sweat when it stops unexpectedly. ;) http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d18e8077527c2cb.jpg

Hi Bryan,I use DAP--Download Accelerator--and it works great for me. Gives you MUCH more control over things such as where to put files.But it is also HUGELY faster too. Opens up multiple simultaneous connections which decreases the download time tremendously--often 2 to 5 time faster!Among other places, you can get it at www.cnet.com.Happy Flying!Bill MolonyAtlanta GA USAUnder the 27L Approach to KATL--the busiest airport in the world :)

Start winzip with the wizard interface, find the button options, in the options you can set the default folder for downloads and probably turn off the auto unzip as well.Log

Guest russell

Here's how to get IE to prompt you with the Save/Open window again:Open a normal Windows Explorer window (not Internet Explorer). For example, right-click the Start button and select Explore.If you're running Windows NT, 2000, or XP, go to Tools / Folder Options. Then find the extension "zip" at the bottom of the list. Select it, and then click the Advanced button. Turn on the checkbox called "Confirm open after download" -- it's probably unchecked right now, and that's what's causing it to skip the prompt.If you're running Windows 95, 98, or ME, go to View / Options / "File Types", and find the entry for "Winzip Files". Select it, and click the Edit button. Turn on the checkbox called "Confirm open after download" -- it's probably unchecked right now, and that's what's causing it to skip the prompt.Voila! :-)The checkbox gets turned off when you uncheck "Always ask before opening this type of file" on the prompt window in IE. You probably unchecked it once by accident, so it switched to automatic "open" mode and stopped asking you.Russell

You all are amazing. 4 different, but very useful answers. Thank you VERY much. The internet never ceases to amaze me, all this knowledge at our fingertips. Thanks for taking the time to help me folks.