Sign in to follow this  
Guest Zapper

Online Tutorials and School for NG Pilots? ATTN: PMDG Team

Guest Zapper

Just as an idea:The more I post here the more I think we should have an online real time instructional chat facility for all those interested in real world techniques. We could use Netmeeting perhaps for a whiteboard and file sharing in conjuction with a decent voice client such as Teamspeak, Ventrilo or some such. I would be happy to host a chat if needed.We could set them up as sort of a class. Say one on VNAV DES, another day talk about ILS approaches, MCP, AFDS usage etc etc.I would be glad to help and am in NZ so am exactly 12 hrs away from GMT and 5 hrs in front of PST for West Coast USA.Perhaps those interested could reply to this thread indicating so.Small classes of say 10 would be probably about ideal although if it is more in a lecture or tutorial form then maybe more. We could fly a mission and the instructor talks you through each step but this may be better one on one? I am afarid teh only language Ihave for this level of conversation is Englsih though.Randy and the Gang, what do you think?Cheers,

Guest FattyBear

That's a really good idea. Off topic, as a real -800 pilot, how do you compare the sim to the real deal?

Guest Zapper

It is as good as you could reasonably ask... and I ask a lot of my computers. Short of spending a fortune on real simulators - kinda funny saying that eh? :) - you won't get anything else nearly as good.I am quite sure that apart from gaining a feel for the controls and handling if you were fully competent in the PMDG -800 and I was to pop you into a real one you could do a passable job of flying it in normal operations at least on the AP and quite possibly hand flying to the FD as well. Having said that it is a whole different ball game IRL.. we don't like to make errors as they are expensive and we have no PAUSE button :) Emergencies and Abnormal Ops are a different kettle of fish also. Nor is Raw Data flying easy and it takes quite a bit of practice to gain and maintain competency .. Jets are very sensitive to pitch attitude/thrust settings and so on but again... this is a sim addon for a PC and as such is wonderful. I use it regularly to practise for real world ops. Not much else I can say.ATB,

Guest pagotan

Hi Brad and Alex,If you go to this link http://www.elitejets.co.uk/, you will see that we are aiming at the same objectives. There are voice linked sessions, group online flights, extensive training sessions and the active participation of real pilots. I am not sure new registrations are accepted at this point in time but if you are interested drop a message on the forum or email Geoff.Michael

Sounds v good to me ;). Always willing to learn more, especially from a real world pilot. How's Friday :D or is everyone going to be flying the VATPAC South Pacific NAVEX ;) Seriously though, do email me (gbalean@emailme.com.au - no spam any of you or i'll set the aust govt on you with their new laws ;)) whenever you are going to / want to do it, even if it is a one on one tuition lol :D:DGeoffrey BaleanCanberra, AU (YSCB)http://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. All is well!"Pentium 4 2.4GHZ, P4G8X Deluxe with Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, 512MB RAM, LG Flatron L1710S 17" LCD, GeForce MX440 Millenium Silver, Creative Soundblaster Audigy, Logitech Speakers, CH Yoke & Rudder, Quantum Fireballp AS30.0 - Basically nothing crash hot :)MSFS 2004 acof, PMDG 737 6/7/8/900, Activesky 2004, Flight One Cessna 152, SquawkBox 2.3 w/ guage, ServInfo 2.2, FS AutoStart, FS Real Time, FSUIPC 3.212 (unreg.:()

Guest allblack

Another Kiwi in here....Awesome!Great idea. I'm currently on a mission trying to find a easier-to-understand version of the FMC manual....Cheers from WellingtonTim

Guest gremel

Superb idea and extremely nice of you to offer time & expertise in these matters.Regards,JackKGSP

That would be something Brad if it ever came together. I know I would do everything I could to be able to participate, learn and practice real world procedures. Jay Eklund - Pilot 4332Senior VP Denver Operationshttp://www.pacificwestairways.com

Jay EKlund

UVA/GCVA Pile-it

Guest Zapper

OK Guys,Hopefully I will hear from PMDG chaps and chapesses with their blessing but if not then we willproceed on an informal basis for the time being.I will host just a general voice chat using Roger Wilco as most of you will have that available I imagine.Timing will always be problematic of course given the global nature of our hobby so if we aim at the first one to suit people in Aussie and NZ for a start. Would Friday night work or perhaps Saturday during the day or evening? Pls give me some guidance on what suits best by posting here.Let's consider it a trial run and see how it works out. Perhaps a bit of a discussion of sims in general and then a little on the -800. Would a short talk on the AFDS be suitable and then perhaps a few questions I might (or might not :) ) be able to answer on autoflight.If we have a number of ppl then I will ask that we keep MSN open and all sit in the text chat area as well. This way I might ask you to type your question so everyone can see it and also I may answer it there so that others can keep a record of it.We may even advance to using Netmetting so that we willhave a white board and FTP facilities but let's just start off easy.I have done a little of this before and it generally works like this:We all log on to MSN Messenger and get into a text chat together. Once there I will post up my IP for you to connect the Roger wilco voice client.. I will also provide a simple password as well.MY MSN is Super_Maggot_737_800@hotmail.comPlease add it to your contact list. I willnot use it for email and so on rather it is soley for the purpose of these chats.This easy enough? Guys I cannot guarantee my availablity so please understand if this doesn't work out and I hope that Kris, Randy and the other guys who post here and hopefully even some of the PMDG and Beta team can join in and we can increase our enjoyment of this great sim. It is a tribute to the 'net that it has made it possible to do this sort of thing and share our hobby. Truly we live in a remarkable age.ATB,

Guest Simon

Hello Brad.Yes I would be keen to learn what ever I can regarding this Sim.I dont have Roger Wilco however, where would I get this from ?Do you live in Christchurch ?? CheersSimon WardChristchurch NZ

Hi Brad again!How's Sat 0600 UTC? Sunday is even better though (except between 0000 UTC and 0500 UTC :) I can't thank you enough for even suggesting this idea! Send an email to the above addy (optionally hotmail addy - almost never check though) or post when you've decided what times suit yourself and everyone else.You're officially added to my MSN messenger by the way :(Regards,Geoffrey BaleanCanberra, AU (YSCB)http://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. All is well!"Pentium 4 2.4GHZ, P4G8X Deluxe with Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, 512MB RAM, LG Flatron L1710S 17" LCD, GeForce MX440 Millenium Silver, Creative Soundblaster Audigy, Logitech Speakers, CH Yoke & Rudder, Quantum Fireballp AS30.0 - Basically nothing crash hot :)MSFS 2004 acof, PMDG 737 6/7/8/900, Activesky 2004, Flight One Cessna 152, SquawkBox 2.3 w/ guage, ServInfo 2.2, FS AutoStart, FS Real Time, FSUIPC 3.212 (unreg.:()

Guest Zapper

Hi Simon, yes I do.My other MSN is bradleymarsh@hotmail.com. Give me a yell if you like.Rgds,

You can download Roger Wilco herehttp://download.com.com/3000-2121-10024393.html It is a very straight forward program and the installer will take you through the setup of your MIC etc. Once someone posts a locations (this consists of their IP and maybe a user name like 196.56.23/crvm so you start RW push the JOIN button and it will start listing channels, simply copy the addy posted here or on MSN from someone hosting and paster in the ADDRESS and CHANNEL of the HOST box and click JOIN on the top right. That's pretty much it. Navigate yourself through the menu interface to become aquainted with all it's options. It's a nice fun tool and best of all it's FREE.[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | WD SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 |

this is a great idea. But I suggest that you utilize the format that has been used in the past here on AVSIM. It worked great when used during the FLY series development.It consisted of a typed chat forum, where anyone could submit a question or two directly to a moderator. The moderator would then in turn cut/past the question into a seperate chat with you.This way, there are several good things that happen.1. there is a written record transcript for future reading/posting2. you are in essence having a 'conversation' with only one person (clarity with the questions and answers)3. no special software is required by anyone (if you access to this forum, you can have access to the chat)4. all users can participate vs the broadband/dialup issue (blocking/speed)5. time zone is eliminated as questions could be submitted in advance for those who are unable to attend.please give it a thought.thanks

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Brad>Guys I cannot guarantee my availablity so please understand if this >doesn't work out and I hope that Kris, Randy and the other guys who >post here and hopefully even some of the PMDG and Beta team can join >in and we can increase our enjoyment of this great sim. It is a t>tribute to the 'net that it has made it possible to do this sort of >thing and share our hobby. Truly we live in a remarkable age.It is a remarkable age and the Internet has changed the lives for many of us. Well, if it wasn't for the Net I would never have met my wife and would never have moved from Sweden to Canada. :-eekI think this is an excellent idea, Brad. It is so nice of you to offer your real-world experience for us simmers.I would be proud to join this effort and learn more about this ship that has been such a sucess for Boeing. And I will also try to contribute with whatever knowledge I've gained through the beta testing of this bird. PS. I added your hotmail to my list Brad.TGIF :-beerchug ... and remember. Carpe Diem!