Sign in to follow this  
Guest nirvana

help me please!!!

Guest nirvana

hey folks!i'm running fs2k2 since december without any problems but since last week, it takes the sim nearly 4 minutes to select an aircraft! what can i do? thank you!greetingspeterps: i'm sorry for my bad english! => i'm worse at what i do best...

Guest Heather 636

Hi Nirvana!First, how often do you "Defrag?" As much as I am always downloading and manipulating folders and files, I defrag at a minimum of once a week, and preferably about every three days. It does make a difference.Another thing I have seen mentioned here on more than one occassion is to go into the FS2002 folder and delete the FS2002.cfg file.Something about it getting cluttered and by deleting it you allow the system a fresh start.PLEASE do not do this though until you have heard more on it, perhaps I am wrong. At the very least, do not delete it but stick it off in a temp folder or something so that you can always put it back.Take note however that if you do this, you will have to redo all of your settings again.Hang in there, someone more knowledgable than i will be along shortly.Good luck!HeatherThe propeller is there to keep the pilot cool. Think not? Watch how much you sweat when it stops unexpectedly. ;) http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d18e8077527c2cb.jpg

Guest Niels_C

Hello Nirvana and Heather,I would mostly go with the .cfg deletion, since I can't even rememberwhen I lastly Defragged my HDD, and it runs just fine.Is everything else running fine on your system, Nirvana? Is it onlywith a/c selection there is a problem? Anyway, good luck and fly safe.-Niels C.

Another thing to try--scan the files and folders in your aircraft folder--try to arrange it by date. Move any folder dated within the past two weeks to a safe backup location, then try to launch 2k2 and access the aircraft folder.The defrag suggestion is an excellent one--you could have a bad or borderline cluster on your HD that 2K2 is fighting with. Also, one of the network analysts that I supervise recently came to me, listing all sorts of problems with a workstation he was trying to install a small app on. Turned out the workstation was out of drive space for some odd reason (it appeared the user had made multiple copies of the i386 folder for some odd reason). It had enough drive space free for the O/S to start, but not enough free for the O/S to manage things once running....-John

Guest Heather 636

John!Just the person I need to talk to.What is that I386? Is it important?I was cleaning junk off my hard drive the other day and noticed that it takes up 457 meg of space; of course, not knowing what it is for, I left it alone.Your insight would be appreciated.Thanks Heather

Guest nirvana

hey!deleting the fs2002.cfg file didn't work! could you tell me how to defrag my system? i've never done it before! @niels_C: my system is running fine, no problems at all! but fs2k2 makes many problems: after double-clicking on the symbol it takes me 4 (!) minutes to get to the main menu and selecting the aircraft takes me longer every day! i deleted many aircraft and sceneries but it didn't help yet. that really suxx! :(thank ya all! peter

The i386 folder is akin to leaving WindowsOptionsCabs behind on Win9x installations.... It allows you to install Winnt/Win 2000 periphs, network drivers, etc... without having to have the CD handy. I require it on all the workstations my team supports, because it is so handy--the space taken is worth the convenience. I also have the registry set on our images to point to it so that pulling files from the folder is automatic--the key is:HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionSourcepath-John

Guest Heather 636

Thank you for the enlightenment!I'll be sure to leave THAT folder strictly alone.Cheers!Heather

I had a similar problem that confounded me for a long time-when the textures would load up the bar would freeze at a certain percentage-then it would take forever or never complete.Turned out to be my email program sitting in the tray (incrediMail). By exiting it before running fs I don't have any problems.So you might want to look into a 3rd party program running no matter how inocent-especially one you have installed recently (last week).http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

Guest nirvana

thank you! i'll give it a try!

Guest nirvana

i installed a few project ai packages yesterday and now nothing works because of my RAM! i'll get more next week (DIMM 512 MB DDR RAM) and a new graphic card (geforce 4 ti4200 64 MB DDR RAM)! now i'm running a pentium III, 1000 mhz, 256 mb sd ram and a geforce 2 mx with 32 mb of ram! could my ram be a reason for fs running so slow?peter

Guest Heather 636

G'Day Nirvana!I see that nobody showed you how to run a defrag. So, if you haven't figured it out on your own yet:1) Click on the "Start" button in the lower left-hand corner of your screen.2) Click on "All Programs"3) Look for "Accessories" (Should be one of the first ones in the first column). Highlighting this will open a window of more selections. Click on "System Tools"The window that will bring up is where you will find "Disk Defragmenter"It is best to run this when you are not going to need your computer for awhile as it can take hours if you have a lot of material. Of course, the more pwerful your CPU and RAM, I believe the faster your defrag process will be.I have about 40 gig of material on my main hard-drive. Therefore, I usually start my Defrag just before going to bed. Another thing, make sure you have everything closed. Nothing in the lower right taskbar. ESPECIALLY a screensaver. Many times i have had a screensaver pop up, which I forgot to turn off, that results in the Defrag process starting all over again.Good luck!HeatherThe propeller is there to keep the pilot cool. Think not? Watch how much you sweat when it stops unexpectedly. ;)

Guest nirvana

thank you heather!!! i wasn't able to find this post again so i read your answer now!! many thanks! i'll try it next weekend! greetingspeter