Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stanner1953

Frame Rates - Need Help

Guest Stanner1953

My frame rates at some airports are down to 7 fps. I have a Dell XPSPentium IV 3.06 GHZ1024 MB DDR SDRAM @ 400 MHZ128 MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Graphics cardMy hard drive is 200GB and is about 70% free.I have the airtraffic down to 65%, and clouds at 30%.I have defragmented my hard drive, I also shut down all unecessary programs before I run FS9 and PMDG 600/700.I think I have a powerful setup, so I do not understand the low frame rate. I do not have this problem with other aircraft, only PMDG 600/700.Can anyone who has a setup somewhat close to mine suggest some settings which seem to work with them?Any ideas?ThanksStanner

200 GIGS eh? Do you have it partitioned? When you hit CRTL-ALT-DEL on startup how much RAM are you using? Do you have SYSTEM RESTORE going? Windows Updates? There are MANY un needed things running amuck in windows. I have 512 megs or ram and the NG kicks arse no matter where I am. I have helped 2 folks set their's up like mine and both are very HAPPY so it's possible to get FS running great. Each system is different so not any one item will solve all FPS issues. The number one FPS killer is clouds so make sure you have these installed http://fsw.simflight.com/FSWFs2k4fix.html use the replacement sky textuers too. Visit www.blackviper.com and see what services you can turn-off on your particular setup. I can think of a thousand other things but start here...[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

Guest Stanner1953

Randy,Thank you for your reply.I forgot to mention that my o/s is Win XP ProI have downloaded the latest patches.I will install the suggested software for FS clouds.What do you mean if I have SYSTEM RESTORE GOING? I will check to see how much RAM I am using upon startup.No doubt I will be back to you.Again thanksStanner

Guest Skip M Fulton

Randy, Thank you very much for your guidance in relation to the clouds and frame rates in general. I was able to implement some of your suggestions and in doing so have tripled my frame rates from about 5 to 16. Sounds like a horror system however I can't ask for too much using a business laptop that wasn't designed for games :)Skip

Guest DavidMartin

Hi Stanner,I too have suffered from abysmal frame rates but have had pretty good success in the last few days at getting around some of it.For starters my system is high-end, but only as far as laptops go. That is a Dell 8600, Centrino 1.4ghz (roughly equivilent to a 3.0ghz), 512 RAM, Nvidia 5650. Running a 15.4" WUXGA TFT screen at 1920x1200 which is I suspect is also a real killer.Firstly, all my sliders are turned up to maximum, with the exception of the "Realistic" (??) clouds option which I swtich off on departure or arrival. The high quality clouds single handedly bring my computer to a standstill. Without these, frame rates are in the 20-30 mark. Give that a try. Disabling those clouds all together rather than just pushing the sliders around will make all the difference.The other saving grace of having running in such high resolution is there is no need for AA, and re-sizing the window to about 2/3 of a full screen helps enormously. Always assumed that running FS9 maximised would allocate the most resources to it and therefore it would run fast, but by windowing it, not only are frame rates substantially increased but I can view my charts in the remainder of the screen.Cheers,Dave

I don't know if this is a bug my system or not, but I find in spot view, if I hit ALT then return to the sim I get a framerate jump of about 10 fps. Try it out and see if you get the same results.Dave FisherCYYZP4 2.8 GB 478P 533 MHZ CPUP4P800S Asus Motherboard512 DDRGeforce Ti 4200/128Maxtor 80 Gig ATA 133 HDhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

Guest Jacek_KORD

Randy,I would like to thank you for the pointers. Replacing the clouds to FSW clouds made a HUGE difference in the performance of the sim, not only the frames are better but they look wayyyy better then default FS clouds. Cheers,Jacek Gawecki

Guest Silver1SWA

Two probable causes for high-end computers getting less than 20FPS.First of all, open dxdiag and check to see if AGP texture acceleration is enabled. If it is grayed out and you are unable to enable AGP acceleration you have a problem. Locate your motherboard chipset drivers either by using the CD that came with it, or by searching the manufacturers website for chipset updates. After installing the chipset drivers, open the advanced smartgart settings for your video card. Turn on AGP read/writes and turn off PCI read/writes. Then go into dxdiag again and enable AGP texture acceleration. This is HUGE and will DOUBLE your FPS.Try this as well. It works, trust me. Go into your FS/autogen folder and locate the file Default.xml. Simply rename the file to default.bak. This disables some of the special, rather unnecessary autogen objects such as restaurants, gas stations etc. (stuff that really isn

Guest Buck Bolduc

Go to the Avsim library and look for "FSAutostart" it's a great app., written by Ken Salter. After you install it click thru it's buttons, it advises you as to which proccesses can safely be shut down. This should increase your resources for use by FS9.One thing tho, it give you a choice to shut down or shut down/restart, I advise you to use the shut down/Restart function, if you do not you may have to reboot if you need cetain proccesses for other work.Good Luck

Guest Nickman

For such a powerful system, It's odd that you get those framerates. My processor is about as fast as a P4 2.8 and your graphics card is better and I get 20 - 30 fsp in the cockpit at detailed airports. Most likely you don't have some options enabled in the BIOS. I would suggest return the BIOS to defailt settings, and find the AGP Settings (look at your motherboard/computer manual) and make sure you have AGPx 8 enabled, fast write, basically anything that says will increase performance. Also enable some extra features for your CPU such as spread spectrum, and make sure your FSB is set to what it's rated at (or a bit higher).Make sure your page file size is to its to the maximum by going to Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Settings > Advanced > Virtual Memory change > set the initial box to what is says the maximum should be.Hope it helpsNick B.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg--AMD Athlon XP 3200+ @ 2.2 Ghz400W Power supply3x 80 mm Case FansSoyo VIA KT600 Dragon PlusnVidia GeForce FX 5200 128 mb2 x 512 PC400100 GB Western DigitalMicrosoft Sidewinder Precision 2

Guest speight

I had same probs then started using "FSAutostart". The change is dramatic.