Sign in to follow this  
Guest RichR4

Fuel Planner and Insufficient Fuel

Guest RichR4

1)I downloaded and use the 737NG fuel planner. Everytime so far, the fuel load the planner supplies, brings up an "insufficent fuel for the flight" message within the FMC and the programing stops.I then load the fuel using FS9 and load much more than what should be required. When I return to the FMC, I am then able to continue to finish loading the FMC data. 2)As the filght progresses, I start getting a "critically low fuel for the flight" banner that pops up throughout the flight. There is more than sufficent fuel on board. This has nothing to do with simmulator rate as it starts popping up during taxi, after take off and in cruise at normal sim rates. This is not an isolated thing, it happens on every flight. I don't plan long flights, all are two hours or less. The cabin loads, fuel and baggage are in pounds and well within limits. When I arrive at the destination there is ample fuel remaining.I have seen posts concerning this, but find no answers. I have perused all the posts on this forum since I started using the PMDG aircraft. If there is a solution, I can't find it. This problem started when I downloaded the 737-800-900 aircraft. Applying the patch did not correct this problem. I had no trouble with the 600 and 700 aircraft, but I haven't used those aircraft since I downloaded the 800 and 900 series.If there is fix, please send me directly to it. The Maintainace Board does not mention it.I have rambled on enough, sorry.Rich Rossler

Guest rcarlson123

Hello Rich,What setting do you have for reserve fuel in the FMC?

Guest RichR4

I set 4000# for reserve fuel.My FSNavigator flightplan shows 430nm from sfo to las on the 737-800. I loaded 500nm into the fuel planner with 200nm to alt. I get enroute burn of 6692# and 3300# for alternate. When I import 9962# to the FMC, I get "insufficent fuel". I went back and entered 3300# for reserve and the FMC seemed to be satisfied. However I'm still getting the banner "critical fuel shortage" popping up thoughout the flight. I get the banner even if I load several thousand pounds more than the above required fuel.Is there a way to disable the banner that shows this and other discrepencies?Thanks for your interest.Rich Rossler

Guest rcarlson123

I'm not even sure what that banner is that you are referring to. I've only seen the "INSUFFICIENT FUEL" message in the FMC. I've only received that error when entering increased simulation rate, then it goes away after returning to normal rate. I believe I've seen other threads in this forum regarding getting that error before departing. Have you tried searching the forums for that error message?

Guest shaunly

Don't know if this will help you ... but the only time I've seen the FMC warn "insufficient fuel" is typically while I'm on the ground at my departure airport. However, it never stopped me from continuing to program the FMC ... I just hit the "CLR" button to clear the message and move forward. That said, it may pop up a couple of times while you're programming the FMC. In my experience, if you're using the fuel planner from Metacraft by Ross A. Carlson, when you get in the air the "PROG" screen on your FMC should show plenty of fuel at your destination and the message will not pop up again.Just my experiences...hope it helps! :)

Guest RichR4

Adding more fuel removes the insufficient fuel message in the FMC. I have started adding 200nm to the flight plan mileage and correctly setting the reserve fuel. Then I don't get the message. The banner I'm refering to that comes up often in the course of a flight is, I think, a flight sim discrepency message that tells you your not doing something right. Such as the barometer is not set right or the parking brakes aren't set. This message says "the fuel level is critically low for the tank selected. Do you want to automatically add fuel by using key strokes". The banner flashes for a few seconds in the windshield. I think I have read in previous posts that the fuel remaining at destination number in FMC fuctuates for some reason and triggers the banner message. I don't think it is sim rate cause it comes up both in normal rate or 2X rate which I use a lot.The messages are annoying, but I haven't run out of fuel yet!Thanks for the interest,Rich Rossler

Guest rcarlson123

Hrm ... never seen that ... is that an FS2002 thing? I only fly FS9. Maybe I have it disabled somehow?

IRL one would never get this message from the CDU - that is because it is inhibited via 'weight-on-wheels' signaling. This only make sense because if you were waiting in a que for departure, your engines will be running and you INS speed is zero - thus the message would be generated (fuel exhaustion prior to destination).I was under the impression that this was to be addressed with the recent upgrades but it does not seem to be the case.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Guest RichR4

I am using FS9.This has to be an erroneous message because there is no fuel shortage.Is the message generated by FS9, FSNavigator flight plan, Radar Contact, or the PMDG FMC..I don't know. I will try to get a picture of the banner, but it only appears for a few seconds at time.I stated above that it started with PMGD 800 and 900 aircraft. I had no problem with the 600 and 700 aircraft and I loaded and flew them the same way.Regards,Rich Rossler

Guest RichR4

Here is a pic if I can do it right!Rich Rossler

Guest DZollner

Rich,Next time you load up FS go to your Aircraft Realism settings and disable (uncheck) the Flying Tips. Banner will disappear permanantly after doing this, unless you want the tips to be displayed, then leave it as it is.

Guest RichR4

Thanks to those who responded. I disabled the flight tips and eliminated the messages. This stops the pop-ups, but not the cause.Regards,Rich Rossler