Sign in to follow this  
Orlaam

Traffic Comment and Question

I had a really cool flight last night in the 700 from KPHX to KONT. Anyhow, there was plenty of traffic along the way at the same FL or close to it. I had a couple of traffic alerts, but nothing requiring action. The TCAS just makes this bird really rock! I love this plane more and more!I was wondering what you guys, or real pilots for that matter, do when traffic requires action. I know in real life the ATC does it's job warning pilots way ahead of time, but in the sim we all know that jet speed is too much and the traffic warnings are always way off. Having said that, and relying on the PMDG TCAS for avoidance, what have you done to steer clear? Aside from following the resolution instruction, do you simply grab the yoke and steer? I was prepared to engage CWS with the mouse while having my other hand on the CH yoke to maneuver. Does it really matter? Is one method better than the other?Chris

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest Nickman

Speaking of TCAS, I almost had a mid-air collision with a Cessna in the Houston area shortly after taking off at IAH going to FL350. It will tell you to just the vertical speed, but autopilot doesn't do it for you. Best thing to do is probably disengage autopilot and make quick corrections. You probably will rarely have close traffic at cruising altitude anyways, but taking off at a busy airports (where lines of planes are) can sometimes be risky.Nick B.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg--AMD Athlon XP 3200+ @ 2.2 Ghz400W Power supply3x 80 mm Case FansSoyo VIA KT600 Dragon PlusnVidia GeForce FX 5200 128 mb2 x 512 PC400100 GB Western DigitalMicrosoft Sidewinder Precision 2

Well you are half right Nick ;-) Thje first thing you do is disconnect the A/P. Second is to follow the TCAS commands on the PFD but this is not done in an abrupt manner. Promptly but Smoothly follow the commands until the danger is passed. [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

I know it doesn't do it for you, although that would be cool. I was just wondering whether CWS as opposed to a complete AP disengae would work the same. I would think it would. I noticed that the one resolution I did get on climb out a few days ago was pretty close to my plane. I would think it would tell you a little sooner. It would scare me in real life. I feel sorry for those pilots who crashed because they followed a different procedure than ATC told them or vice versa. I know there was one where a 727 hit a Cessna in '78. Pretty sad.Chris

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest falcon99

Chris,As Randy mentioned I believe the proper procedure is to immediately disconnect A/P and follow the TCAS instructions. Never heard or read anything concerning trying to use CWS. Just disconnect and quickly/smoothly act.Georgehttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/betaimg.jpg

Guest Nickman

Those darn little Cessnas are like ants. The worst thing about Cessnas is that if one is in the landing pattern before you, you'll probably have to go around since you're probably going about 2x or 3x as fast as itNick B.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg--AMD Athlon XP 3200+ @ 2.2 Ghz400W Power supply3x 80 mm Case FansSoyo VIA KT600 Dragon PlusnVidia GeForce FX 5200 128 mb2 x 512 PC400100 GB Western DigitalMicrosoft Sidewinder Precision 2

Yup, lol. Luckily, most large airports don't have Cessnas landing at them. They do have Dash-8s and Beech 1900s landing a lot though. I'm running UT, so my small plane at large airports traffic has stopped. Now my problem is those darn AI jets that cut in line on final! :-mad I only run 40% and can't imagine how those who run 100% do it. The ATC never shuts up and the AI traffic is so unrealistic that you can't land anywhere, lol.Chris

- Chris

Guest Nickman

I run ATC at 100% plus I have Continental Airlines flight plans loaded in so Houston is VERY crowded. The line is usually about 10 planes after just a few minutes. Trick is to "cut" in line :(Nick B.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg--AMD Athlon XP 3200+ @ 2.2 Ghz400W Power supply3x 80 mm Case FansSoyo VIA KT600 Dragon PlusnVidia GeForce FX 5200 128 mb2 x 512 PC400100 GB Western DigitalMicrosoft Sidewinder Precision 2

How?? I mean my comp isn't able to handle more than 40% with the PMDG, but when it's higher the ATC drives me nuts! How do you respond? Don't you think the 100% is unrealistic? I've never seen dozens of planes lined up at a runway like they do sometimes. How can you land?

- Chris

Guest Nickman

The closest busiest airport to me is Houston IAH. It seems we never take off immediately, but always wait in line a bit. Landing is more like a bit of luck. If you're lucky, you can land on a runway that isn't the default one (you have to request it from the controller)Nick B.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg--AMD Athlon XP 3200+ @ 2.2 Ghz400W Power supply3x 80 mm Case FansSoyo VIA KT600 Dragon PlusnVidia GeForce FX 5200 128 mb2 x 512 PC400100 GB Western DigitalMicrosoft Sidewinder Precision 2