Sign in to follow this  
bill_rowe

Center Fuel Tank Operation

I have a question about center fuel tank operation on the 737NG: Do you run the center tank pumps until the tank is empty and the master caution lights up? Or should I turn off the pumps with some fuel remaining in the tank?Thanks in advance and thanks to all the advice I've already gotten from reading this great forumBill

Guest nandrzej

Hello BillThe PMDG manual Normal Procedures states you turn them off after the lights iluminate.cheers, Nick

It the real world, it depends on the modification status of your aircraft, Bill. In PMDG it doesn't matter, as your aircraft is not going to blow up if your tanks are empty (The pumps don't overheat and wiring doesn't short out).Real world aircraft modificiations include wiring/pump replacement and low fuel warning logic changes.Cheers.Ian.

As Ian said operator mods dictate what to do. My best friend who is a Fueling Specialst for UAL states that they run to empty and then do the switch on their -300 and -500's. He told me there after mods there is enough residual fuel in the center wing tank to cool the pumps, plus it is really never at zero.This is good question because he was the one that informed me that you NEVER put any fuel into the center wing tank until the Left/Right Wing Tanks are full. I did not know this was SOP until two years ago when he and I working the B747 complex fuel process.CheersBob

Some pilots create a wpt when they will have XXXX amount of fuel in the center tank and to turn off the pumps. The remaining fuel would then be used up but on our aircraft this does not work so you will always have a certain amount left in center. So the way you choose to do it is up to you.[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |