Sign in to follow this  
Guest Erups

Takeoff procedure

Guest Erups

I read many many things about takeoff.Can anyone care to post a decent checklist?I get confused with to/ga, v2+xx and so on.Especially, when i takeoff with to/ga, the A/T never selects the v2+xx even if v speed are entered in the fmc.Thank youClaudio

Hi Claudio,You wrote:>Especially, when i takeoff with to/ga, the A/T never selects the >v2+xx even if v speed are entered in the fmcHow can you say that? What indicates that the FMC does not select V2+20?Use your F/Ds Flight Directors during take-off and fly the needles. The pitch bar will guide you to pitch to keep V2+20. Your roll bar will either guide you to wings level or HDG SEL according to your options set.Hope it helps,

Guest ba747heavy

The confusing factor is that the speed bug is at V1, but the AFDS is commanding the pitch necessary to fly V2 + 20.

Guest Pittsburgh

Hi, Allow me to pitch in here: As soon as you engage the autopilot, the speed in the MCP speed window will actually increase by 20 kts, so that will actually make it V2 + 20 (assuming you set the MCP speed to V2 as one would normally do as part of the preparations for t/o).BoazEKCH

1] Set V2 in the MCP speed window.2] Turn on the A/T and F/D.3] At about 40% N1 after engines stabilize engage TOGA.4] Rotate at VR not before. Do not rotate more than 3 degrees per second. On the 800-900 do not exceed 11 degrees before you get some positive altitude then 15-18 degrees holding V2 +20 by following the F/D. Even though the MCP window is set at V2, the F/D will be commanding V2 +20. 5] Positive rate gear up (check altimeter and RA display for increase).6] You can engage a roll mode at 400' although selection of LNAV on the ground and prior to TOGA is procedure for some airlines (Virgin Blue).7] Hold V2 + 20 until flap retraction altitude. This depends on where you are so check what the particular departure calls for. Some will have 1000 and others 3000. At V2 + 15 on the 700 you can set flaps 1 and fully retract at flaps retraction altitude (West Jet).8] At flaps retraction altitude set the MCP speed window to flaps up maneuvering speed (the UP on the Pilot's Flight Display speed tape). After flaps up Increase speed to 250 knots if not limited by any speed restrictions then select an A/P and engage VNAV if desired. [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

A small comment if I may ?To rotate at Vr you need so start easing up the nosewheel at around v1 so as to START the rotation at Vr. If you start pulling the yoke at Vr you will rotate too late.Then a question, because I'm "ng-illiterate" ;). Referring to 8] in your post. Don't you need to engage any vertical mode at acceleration altitude after departure to accelerate to flaps up maneuvering speed, ie. FL CH in this case (if MCP speed is altered) ? Does the NG fly MCP speed automatically after acceleration alt ?Tero

PPL(A)

Guest Stephan

At acceleration altitude, I think, the pitch mode should change to MCP Speed and the Thrust mode to N1 or SPD hold, thus making sure that the plane accelerates to the speed you enter in the MCP.Stephan

"Don't you need to engage any vertical mode at acceleration altitude after departure to accelerate to flaps up maneuvering speed, ie. FL CH in this case (if MCP speed is altered) ? Does the NG fly MCP speed automatically after acceleration alt ?"Good question, Tero.Normally, engaging the A/P (after 400' has been achieved) will put the APFD system automatically into LVL CHG mode from TO mode (The speed in the MCP window will change automatically to V2+20). In LVL CHG mode, the priority is airspeed, so the FD will be telling you to put the nose down to achieve the target airspeed ...and higher (flap up) airspeeds should you select them in the MCP window.If you didn't manually select LVL CHG, leaving the aircraft in TO mode, the aircraft will be aiming at what you set in the window plus 20 indefinitely (If thrust reduction height is achieved, the nose will come down slightly, to maintain that V2+20). If you change the MCP speed by one click, the airspeed cursor should jump to V2+20 automatically. In PMDG, if you dial in higher airspeeds (at acceleration ht), with the pitch mode still in TO, the nose comes down to achieve those higher airspeeds. I assume this is realistic. Pilots?I don't think the aircaft comes out of TO mode unless you engage the A/P or manually select another mode.Hope this helps.Cheers.Ian.

Ian,Exactly. This is what I was after. Will it transition away from TO mode IF no vertical mode is selected or AP engaged (which, like you describe, puts the a/c in the FL CH).Assuming I'm flying the departure by hand to FL100 (which I usually do), I will not engage the AP. Thus, will I be seeing the F/D command nose down to accelerate to flaps up man speed IF I dial in flaps up man. speed but do NOT touch any vertical mode at acceleration altitude ?Pilots ?Tero

PPL(A)

Guest Erups

Randy, thank you for this information.I have a problem though:where is the place to define the flap retraction altitude?If i takeoff in TO/GA mode, the autopilot goes on forever in toga mode.There is no step for acceleration.And about the lateral mode, the activation of any lateral mode is inhibited while on land.At least on my setup.So i cannot preselect any LNAV or HDG until about 300ft.Is this correct?ThanksClaudio

Guest Erups

Any light on this?Claudio

"where is the place to define the flap retraction altitude?If i takeoff in TO/GA mode, the autopilot goes on forever in toga mode."You will have to manually select another F/D pitch mode or engage an autopilot (automatically changing the mode to LVL CHG).In LVL CHG mode you can the manually select a higher airspeed to allow you to put your flaps up. VNAV is not advisable, but some airlines do engage it."And about the lateral mode, the activation of any lateral mode is inhibited while on land."It depends on the (real world) airline options (I haven't checked the PMDG options recently, but try the drop down menu). Some NG's allow pre-arming of LNAV prior to takeoff. Manual selection of LNAV without this feature can be done above 400'.The 737NG AP/FD system is quite different from aircraft like, say, the 747-400... and probably a lot harder to master.Hope this helps.Cheers.Ian.

Guest Erups

Thank you for the info.Claudio