Sign in to follow this  
Guest agentsmith

Procedure turns?

Guest agentsmith

I know that the 737 does not have the ability of programing procedure turns in the SID/STAR/Approach database. However, i know that it is possible to fly procedure turns with LNAV and VNAV. How does this work in the real world? What is the right answer to this? If meeting a procedure turn in flight, what would i do if i was to shoot it with VNAV and LNAV?Roar Andre Nicolaisen

Hi RoarActualy I think it's the other way around. ;-) The real FMC can show procedure turns but the AFDS is not able to fly them. You have to fly them manually. The PMDG FMC does not have the capability today to display procedure turns.Cheers,

Guest Valid_Andy

I know I'll probably sound like an idiot here - but can someone please enlighten me on what a procedure turn actually is? Is it a turn with 2 points at either end at which you have to pass at the right headings or am I far away? Thanks guys

Guest tmetzinger

>I know I'll probably sound like an idiot here - but can>someone please enlighten me on what a procedure turn actually>is? Is it a turn with 2 points at either end at which you have>to pass at the right headings or am I far away? Thanks guysA procedure turn is a way of performing a course reversal during an instrument approach. It defines protected airspace on one side of the approach course for you to turn around in.Using the FDK VOR-A as an example.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/77949.jpgYou start the approach by flying to the FDK VOR, then you fly outbound on the 040 radial. You can descend while flying outbound to 2300 feet as long as you remain within 10 NM of the VOR. When you're about 5 NM or so out, you'd make a right turn to 085 (this is the procedure turn in the shaded area), fly 085 for one minute, make a left 180 to 265, and then maintain that heading until intercepting the radial again (inbound course 220). Once you're established on the radial, you can descend to 1360 feet until crossing NIORT, at which point you can descend to the MDA of 920 feet.The protected area in this case is to the EAST of the course. This is the standard procedure turn (right turn when outbound), but other approaches may be different.

Guest Valid_Andy

Ah great explanation Tim, thanks a lot - I understand now! I have seen these before but I had didn't know that was what they were called. Thanks:)

Guest ba747heavy

Thanks Tim - you have helped explain something I have been curious about for a long time.

Guest quietwing

Hiagentsmith and Mats SAS526 the FMC in the 737 NG can recall procedure turns using the transition function (although they can not be manually entered, must be in the database purchased by the airline) on the DEP/ARR page and the plane can fly the procedure turn using the AFDS.Hope this helps to clear things upHans

There is a workaround for the procedure turns, at least for the "teardrops". Take a look at these pics, first the map(ENHD):http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/78026.jpgAnd here's the FMC:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/78027.jpgThe procedure is written in the SID/STAR file, but it should be possible to create custom waypoints in the FMC too.Here's another one for KHYS:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/78028.jpgAnd they are actually flyable. What's not possible to get by are these racetracks, you could insert a holding point(and some app actually have) to fake it, but that's not a good solution. And you will not be able to descent during the hold procedure.As always, properly planning of descend and approach is a key to get these turns with the right speed.

Guest cactuscap

In the USA procedure turns can be performed in two different methods, the reversal depicted on the Tim