Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bruce Arnold

Will PMDG provide 737 Inertial nav before BBJ is released?

Guest Bruce Arnold

Just wondering - I know PMDG are working on integrating a functional Inertial Reference System for the 737 lineup and I wonder if this will be modeled before the release of the 737 Boeing Business Jet jet or as an upgrade requiring future purchase of the BBJ package. I'm thinking the latter but just wanted to ask. Thanks.

Guest Bruce Arnold

anyone know? Beuller? Beuller?

Guest FattyBear

I would rather see them put all their effort into the 747-400 instead.

Guest Bruce Arnold

I would rather have a totally complete 737 first instead of only partial system simulation :)

I agree with Bruce :) A complete NG737 before the next project would be best. IMHO :)

Cheers,
Ryan

Professional Coffee Drinker/BAe146 Driver
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer

Guest Bruce Arnold

Here, here :) I hope PMDG will shed some light on this soon!

Guest cw1011

I think this was discussed early in production in another thread. A search of the archives might bring it to light. I think the conclusion was that not a lot of people were going to want to sit around for ten minutes while the INS spooled up - thus probably not worth the programming time. I could be wrong - advancing age retreating memory - but I seem to remember this. Best,

I quote PMDG with this: "if we can do it, we will do it and if we can't do it, we will not develope it", or something like that.And with the B744 comming they maybe will try to develope it.

Guest Matthias1975

Why should they only try to develop it for the 747 instead of really doing it. I don

Guest rellehenk

Quote R Randazzo/PMDG5) We have deferred installation of Inertial Reference System until a later date. Not because we couldn't make it work, but because we did not feel we had adequate time to get it interacting properly with the rest of the airplane systems that it supports. We'll have more information for you on this topic in a future update.

I hope they do provide it in an update, then it would really be a complete simulation. Not that I don't love it as it is :-)Andrew

Guest Bruce Arnold

I do too, I just wish PMDG could offer a little insight into what their current plans are regarding all of this. I'm guessing that they are going to wait until they release the BBJ and just include an IRS as part of that upgrade package - thus IRS functionality would 'trickle' down to our previous -700 and -800 series installations just like the current -800 package upgrades functionality to the previous -700 series.This seems to be their current business strategy but I'm just conjecturing here.

Guest nandrzej

A quick question.How would an IRS benefit us in the virtual cockpit? I would be interested to know how it would change the way we navigate at present?please let me know your thoughts, cheers, Nick

Guest ba747heavy

>A quick question.>>How would an IRS benefit us in the virtual cockpit? I would>be interested to know how it would change the way we navigate>at present?>>please let me know your thoughts, cheers, NickNick,It wouldn't change the way you navigate. In fact, really all an IRS system would amount to would be some FMC input, and some overhead switch twirling during preflight.

Guest Bruce Arnold

Hi Nick,It would just be a lot more realistic to be able to go through Inertial Nav alignment during a preflight for one thing, rather than have the attitude display simply pop on with the battery switch as it does now. To me the panel just feels too 'watered down' without it, even with all of the other features. In fact, having all the detail the panel has now makes the lack of a functioning IRS stand out more in contrast.In real life the IRS system provides attitude, heading, rate of climb, yaw damper input, groundspeed, and wind speed/direction information. It would be much more realistic to be able to simulate not only alignment/shutdown procedures but also the possibility of implementing failures for procedural training.But as to your question regarding navigation, modern 'glass cockpit' navigation systems use sensor blending to derive position information. Essencially the computer has an established hiearchy of navigation sensor data it uses to derive positional information. In the case of the 737NG, position information is polled from GPS, Scanning DME, and Inertial Nav in that order of accuracy. So in answer to your question a functioning IRS would not really change the way you navigate, only make certain other procedures associated with cockpit managment and potential system failures have more realism. Cheers,