Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bruce Arnold

Will PMDG provide 737 Inertial nav before BBJ is released?

Guest Bruce Arnold

Lol, geez Fred, why even have battery switches, hydraulic and fuel pump switches, air conditioning packs, ect. if you simply consider all of this simply switch twirling during preflight?It's the lack of the total immersion factor that the default Microsoft panels have that make realistic panels like PMDG's 737 appealing to the masses, wouldn't you agree?

Guest nandrzej

Cool thanks to Fred and Bruce for the info, much appreciated.cheers, Nick

Guest Thomas K

Bruce,I agree. With the high level of functionality of the PMDG737, it just needs an IRS even more. As much as I'm looking forward to the 744, I hope PMDG will keep their word regarding the IRS update for the 737.Thomas

Thomas and BruceI couldn't agree more!I have thought that I might be the sole person here who really wants the IRS fitted. For me, it's just like Bruce said: "watered down". Not to be rude, impolite or anything like that, just saying how I feel. IRS alignment, its monitoring and things you need to do in case of IRS faults are the essence of modern jet navigation. I feel the 700/800 series strongly needs the IRS to complement the otherwise well built system platform.For me, the idea of buying package after another to get added functionality does not appeal.with respect,Tero

PPL(A)

Guest pez_man

Well here is another fella eagerly awaiting the IRS! :-)rgrds fredrik granfors

Guest Bruce Arnold

Yes, there are a few of us out here for sure :)

Guest ba747heavy

>Lol, geez Fred, why even have battery switches, hydraulic and>fuel pump switches, air conditioning packs, ect. if you simply>consider all of this simply switch twirling during preflight?Hehe, yea. I am trying to put a positive spin on this whole IRS thing: yea we dont' have it but all it would amount to would be some switch twirling and FMC input hehee.>It's the lack of the total immersion factor that the default>Microsoft panels have that make realistic panels like PMDG's>737 appealing to the masses, wouldn't you agree?Oh yea, thats what makes it appealing.

Good Lord..this IRS horse is about beat to death...put the poor thing in the stable for a while will you guys!:-bang

Eric 

A valid and polite discussion about a thing many of us feel strongly about. If you don't, don't read the threads. Simple, really.Tero

PPL(A)

I don't think I've stated my opinion before either, so I shall also state here that I think the IRS would be good to have in the 737 to make it a complete product, but many of us are realism fanatics. Yes, I am eagerly awaiting the 74, but the IRS would really make the 737NG a truely complete product. Personally though, the announcement I am really waiting for in the near future is the ACARS one - interested to see whether it will happen (probably not based on the long period between talking and beta testers receiving no news on the subject - Freddo said that ;)), and how it will be done if it does.Bye!Geoffrey BaleanCanberra, AU (YSCB)http://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg http://www.vozvirtual.org/images/pmdgforumsignature.png"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. All is well!"Pentium 4 2.4GHZ, P4G8X Deluxe with Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, 512MB RAM, LG Flatron L1710S 17" LCD, GeForce MX440 Millenium Silver, Creative Soundblaster Audigy, Logitech Speakers, CH Yoke & Rudder, Quantum Fireballp AS30.0 - Basically nothing crash hot :)MSFS 2004 acof, PMDG 737 6/7/8/900, Activesky 2004, Flight One Cessna 152, SquawkBox 2.3 w/ guage, ServInfo 2.2, FS AutoStart, FS Real Time, FSUIPC 3.212 (unreg.:()

Guest rugerdog

PMDG staff, thanks for not taking the time to answer this question for this guy. Ya'll deserve a break from supporting the customers whom are your lifeline. For goodness sakes PMDG, rest up and go get a foot massage or something instead of dealing with these stressful questions. Thanks

Mr RugerdogYou never cease to amaze me with your witty and tactful posts. ;-)Did it ever cross your mind that you are doing more harm than good to this guy who wants an answer with your reply?The questions about the INS and the BBJ has been answered separately and I can't see any reason for the staff to answer again. PMDG has never said that there will be an INS system added.In the mean time guys...If you want INS then go to www.simufly.com/ins/ and download a very neat little gauge. Haven't tried it with the NG yet but I will. And it sure looks promising.Regards,

Guest Erups

>In the mean time guys...>If you want INS then go to www.simufly.com/ins/ and download a>very neat little gauge. Haven't tried it with the NG yet but I>will. And it sure looks promising.It will never work with the NG.And even if it would work, why would you want to put that thing in the NG?First: it can't work because PMDG 737NG isn't using standard FS autopilot data locations, not writing nor reading them. So the gauge would do nothing.Second: why would you ever want to downgrade from and FMS to an ancient IRS? that's the same Concorde and 747-200 used in the 80s!So eighter PMDG provides its IRS (which they do sayed it was in their ability), or no IRS at all.BRClaudio

Claudio,I think you may have misunderstood the difference between IRS and FMS.IRS is the Inertial Reference System. It will tell the aircraft where it is located. It does this by using three inertial accelerometers for acceleration measurement in the three axises, and three laser ring gyros for measuring rotation around said axises.The INS is a part of the FMS and provides the FMC with basic position and velocity data. This is compared with ground (VOR, DME) and space (GPS) based sensors to calculate the IRS drift and offset corrections. Based on all this data the FMC calculates the best position estimate every five seconds.This said. In FS it shouldn't have anything to do directly with the AFDS. But should feed the aircraft with position and get data from ground based sensors.My first attempts are not looking good. :-( But I know Vangelis Vaos was using this with much pleasure. Don't know in which aircraft though.Cheers,

Guest Erups

I know what an IRS is.The Delco Carousel Mark IV-A is a multiple redundant IRS system, with lateral navigation capability.As i said, it was used in the 80s in many aircrafts, including but not limited toConcordeBoeing 747Boeing 707You can even find modules of it on ebay.The system can operate in single mode, dual redundancy or triple mode.It continually corrects gyro deviation with ground based stations (if so configured).It's the predecessor of modern FMS systems.That's why i said the things i said in my previous post.And the fact that it can't operate with the PMDG remains assured.Unless you want to use it just to provide an external position reference. But it won't affect PMDG systems in any way.BRClaudio