Sign in to follow this  
luckynic1

new power supply

hey guy' i dont know if this makes a difference but i replace the power supply today from 300 to 400 watt and it made a difference to the smootheness of flightsim with the pmdg a/c? anyway on friday i'm getting my new p4 3.2 prescott with my 9600xt radeon 256mb card ,1024 of ddr kingmax 400 ram it should be a not bad system agree . hey what about the power sup would it make a difference cheers mark d p

Yeap.Good PSU can make difference, especially during overheat conditions. ANTEC is one the best PSUs on the market. Good luck with your new machine.Regards

Guest nandrzej

I second that.I good powersupply is essential to good computer functioning, particularly if you have some more powerful gear in the case. A high performance hard disk, a fast processor and a fast graphics use a lot of power. If you ask too much of your power supply your voltage rails in your PC will sag and you can get strange problems, like a crash when things get busy, because that is when you have asked the most of your system.I recommend spending some (ie don't get the budget/cheapest) money on a power supply and have also heard good things about the Antec TruePower power supplies.cheers, Nick

Guest Buck Bolduc

Mark, A good PSU is a must for a powerfull system.Beware tho.I have seen 400 Watt PSU,s with a Max Output of 180 watts.Thats because the voltage rails are rated combined!For example.Cheapo 400 watt Max Output 180 watts.Antec True Power 430 Max Output 410 watts.Cheapo 400 watt 12v rail rated at 12 amps.Antec True Power 430 watt 12v rail rated at 20 amps.See the difference?After build a few hundred machines I learned the diff., some times the hard way.When you use a good PSU 80% of the problems go away, at least the ones that come into my shop.Good Luck