Sign in to follow this  

O/T Hardrive noises when starting the computer

Sorry for the off-topic thread, but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this situation.For some reason, when I boot Windows, my hard drive is now making a deep "whhhoooorrrr whhooooooorrrr" sound. It sounds like it's working real hard. Odd thing is it never did this before.Once Windows is loaded, the hard drive stops making this deeping, almost semi grinding noises.The computer works just fine except for those strange noises.Any ideas?

Are you sure its not a fan? If the hard drive is making noise, this could be a early warning of a potential HDD failure. Are you getting any other strange errors? Maybe run scan disk, however I doubt this will find any problems, but you can give it a try.How old is the HDD? If the HDD bearings are starting to go, and you don't want to do a fresh reload if the HDD fails, I'd do this now.1. Buy a second HDD, install it, and make it the slave.2. Buy or get a copy of Norton "Ghost" program, and ghost your current drive C to the 2nd HDD. Ghost makes an exact image of your current HDD. This way, if your current drive fails, you simply just make the 2nd HDD the master, and away you go. No loss of data, or time. I currently have two hard drives installed, and Ghost to the 2nd frequently. This way I always have a complete backup. It works great. If I'm going to do any major changes to my current drive C, I simply ghost to the 2nd HDD before any changes. Then I make the changes on Drive C. If for some reason, these changes totally screw things up, I can simply restore from the 2nd HDD and I'm back to normal in 20 minutes..Cheers:-beerchug

Are you sure its not your CD-drive, they have a speed-turn-up noise that is noticeable when they are being registered during bootup. Your harddrive should start turning as soon as you apply power to your system. I'm not indicating your harddrive is not making these noises and if it gets worse, you might start saving important items to CD and look for a replacement drive.If you are concerned about the hardrive status, you might want to run some maintenance, such as, scandisk and defragmentation.

Guest B52Drivr

You don't need the Norton program . . . just put the new hard drive into our computer as a slave and do this. Go to run: and type in:xcopy C:*.* /H/E/R/K/C (letter of slave drive): so if the slave was on d:drive, it would read.xcopy(space)c:*.*(space)/H/E/R/K/C(space)D:it will copy the entier contents of c: to the new Drive d:nothing to buy.Clayton T. DopkeMajor, USAF (retired)"Drac"

Yeah that will work too, but you still need to buy a 2nd hard drive if you don't have one. Another nice feature of norton is making disk images. With a disk image, you can copy you're entire C drive anywhere you want for later use. The image is a compressed file of your entire hard drive. I did a fresh install of my operating system, loaded all my programs, and then created a disk image using Norton Ghost. I called this image my Base image. Now when ever I want to have a fresh install loaded, it takes me 20 minutes to install the base image. Otherwise it takes me about 14 hours to do a full operating system/programs install from scratch. This feature alone has saved me countless hours.But hey, right now your main concern is to backup your HDD, if it truly is a problem, and do it the cheapest and fastest way possible..