Sign in to follow this  
echollet

a suggestion for the 747

Guest allblack

I'm with you on that one Chris.Each to their own of course, but I'm still trying to understand the point of sleeping for eight hours with the sim running....Tim

Not that kind of use. Suppose that you start a flight and your wife uses her power to something like: we have to go somewhere. Iwillbeback was made to make sure that the TOD wasn't missed. There's nothing more annoying to a wife than a husband looking in to the clock to get sure the plane is not crashed in the middle of the ocean due to lack of fuel :)Jos

Guest zip

I think this is a departure from the "realism" goal and should not be part of the product at all. However, an add-on gauge or program can do the same trick, and be used on other planes as well.It has always seemed a paradox to me that while we all want realism and pursue "as real as it gets", which drives wonderful add-ons such as the PMDG line, at the same time when considering a 747 hop from say, Sidney to LAX, those 12 hours in flight are somewhat uninteresting and we want to fast forward, throwing realism out the window.Oh well, such is life.Cheers,

The pause/alert trick is very well done by the iwillbeback program as mentionned ealier in this thread and it can be used for any aircraft. Simple and nice tool indeed. That's right.So I withdraw my original suggestion about adding this feature in the 747. (needless to spend effort to something that already exists).Now, I do agree with you Etienne that we all want realism and "as real as it gets" but I think that this applies to different extents for each one us. I guess most of us (PMDG customers vs. say casual C172 simmers) want more realism on the aircraft itself (more system implementations, failures, etc.). I agree with that. First priority (and my suggestion did not belong to that category so...)Now, I think a "FS session realism" is another issue and it very much depends on personnal tastes and external constraints and may vary from day to day. (talking about constraints, my wife seems to have developped a 6th sens to disturb me while in approach phase -especially when flying on line :-badteeth ). You're right. Our realism is made of trade off and it can appear as a paradox.(...and sometimes, I think it's better not to have "as real as it gets" considering the number of times I've crashed !... :-) )... so PMDG forget about pause at TOD or the alike, simply give us a nice 747 (with a cockpit that we can share over the network to fly PF/PNF almost for real. I hope we'll have this sort of bird one day,.. with FS2018 perhaps ? :-bigangel )Cheers,

Guest castleberg

GuysStop argueing! It's that simple. Most of us are professionals with hard work to do, loving fathers and husbands, too. We don't have time to sit in front of the Computer for hours and hours, even if we'd love to. We have to leave the house. Even have to shut down the Computer. I don't want to leave it unattended while nobody is at home. We need a tool the save a current panel state like PIC 767 has it. And stop telling me the sh... about as real as it gets. I'm sure that the folks at PMDG will take care of our long haul problems and give us the possibility to save a current panel/FMS state. Thanks PMDG, you're the very top of today's flightsim-add-ons. RegardsTom

Guest ripcaster

Realism can only go so far. Sure, the guys flyin' these things for real can't fast forward, but then again that's what they do for a living. The other 98% of the world's population is relegated to doing something else for a living, and flying flight sims in their spare time which INCLUDES going to bed during a long flight and resuming in the morning.I, for one, will immediately look for that zip file mentioned earlier and employ that. PSS has a great feature that doesn't have to be used for those who have nothing better to do but sit in front of a radiation gun for 8 hours.I work 12 hour shifts at YYZ. I have a 1 year old also. I have 1 car. I don't have 8 hours to kill watching scenery blow by. The POINT is that I set up the plane, taxi, t/o, and give Otto Pilot a smack across the head, and when I come back it's ready for me to take over again. You want realism? Fly the aircraft by hand for 8 hours to simulate an autopilot failure. Or better yet, get your wife/brother/friend to sit 1 foot to your right (or left depending on who's older ;) ) for the entire duration of that flight. Time how long it takes for him/her to leave to find something else to do.It's a SIMULATOR, not an emulator.Trevor LoweCYYZ Apron CoordinatorTerminal 3

Guest woottsbj25

Well said Trevor. Boredom is a large problem in a Long Haul PIlots life. They wouldn't sit there in the cockpit if they weren't earning money...

Thank God some people on this forum still have their senses!I am no fan of the "as real as it gets". I for one think that we are simulating a real simulator, not a real aircraft! And a real simulator does have position freeze etc etc...And for the guys who want it as real as possible, I say don't use the pause-function. But do take other peoples preoccupations into consideration please !

Guest plu

Hi guysI have started to fly long houls alot recently. Both B767 and A340 and i love it.At the moment I am over Greenland to New York, 2 hours late. Anyway, when I land in new York I will make a quick turnaround on 1-1

Guest Paul Heaney

I'd like to hear PMDG's answer about this, I like the idea, it's a great feature. And if you don't like it, you don't have to use it, works great for those FOR and AGAINST.

>When I do these long houls I will stay up for 1-2 hours and>then go to bed and 1-2 hours before landing I will get out of>bed and continue. So on a shift like this I will normally get>4

Talking about sleep.....Sometimes I don't gona sleep if I make a night flight. I skip a night. :) But I did that with the PSS B747 or B777 from PSS. And now I only got a B737. Thats why I miss my plane...the 744.

Guest miketurner

Exactly!When there are two extreme points of view you're free to opt for either, or any point in between, just so long as the option is made available. Mike Turner