Sign in to follow this  
jfri

The PMDG B1900D

I have purchased the Beechcraft B1900D, and after reading the documentation and tested the plane I need some helpIt's difficult (or even impossible) to read some of the text in the panel. Digits in the HSI is very difficult to read. The switches between the Pitot heat and flap indicator (external lights I think). The three switches at the right end is not possible to read at all.The checklistIf i follow the checklist I end up having the left conditioner at high idle and the right at low idle. Is this really correct? Shouldn't both be at low idle at takeoff?What is meant by 'Primary governors exercise at 1500 RPM'? Exactly what should I do?I am told to set the transponder to on alt and later to standby. But as far as I can see I have no control over the transponder except setting the code digits.I am told to set the yawdamper to ON. Is it sufficient to press YD button on the AP or do I also have to switch on the AP master switch?I use 1024*768*32 in fullscreenmode and have 17" CRT monitor with a Geforce4 MX 440 graphics card.

I hope it's sufficient to complement my post here by statingthat jfri real name is Jan Friberg (instead of making a repost)RegardsJan Friberg

Hi Jan!Thanks for signing!<>We tried out best to maintain the actual gauge layout for the B1900, but unfortunately on smaller monitors this can lead to issues as you describe! Try the "W" key to get slightly larger gauges for approaches, etc...<They should be the same! <> This is a limitation of the MSFS default transponder. We included the extra steps in the manual for informational purposes.<It is sufficient just to push the YD switch<I'll check with our resident TurboProb pilot,Rob! Best,Vin ScimonePMDGwww.precisionmanuals.comhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/devteam.jpg

Vin Scimone

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team_FB.jpg

>We tried out best to maintain the actual gauge layout for the>B1900, but unfortunately on smaller monitors this can lead to>issues as you describe! Try the "W" key to get slightly>larger gauges for approaches, etc...>It only helps with the HSI indicator but I still can't read the textat the external light switches.What monitor is required for not counting as a smaller? Is a 19" CRT enough?RegardsJan Friberg

Hi Jan,The PMDG Express B1900D panel's native resolution is 1280x960. Have you tried this resolution, or is it too much of a performance hit? On a 19 inch monitor, it would most likely clear things up a little bit.Best,Vin ScimonePMDGwww.precisionmanuals.comhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/devteam.jpg

Vin Scimone

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team_FB.jpg

At 1280*960 I must lower the refreshrate significantly and I think1024*768 is optimal on a 17" CRT. It will take some time before I can consider updating my monitor. So could you tell me what the text says at the external lights switches?RegardsJan Friberg

Sure Jan, Sorry, should have posted a pic before!From Left to Right:Landing LeftLanding RightTaxiIceNavAnticollision BeaconAnticollision StrobeRecogTail FloodMaster Panel Lightshttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/79074.jpgBest,Vin ScimonePMDGwww.precisionmanuals.comhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/devteam.jpg

Vin Scimone

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team_FB.jpg

Guest DonaldS

Hi:I had the same problem I fell in love with PMDG's beautiful Beech 1900 but my old eyes, did not. I had to ask on this forum as well.The exterior panel light switches are:1. Landing Left...|____toggle together2. Landing Right.|3. Taxi4. Ice5. Nav6. Anti Collision (Beacon and Strobe)7. Anti Collision (Beacon and Strobe)8. Recog9. Tail light light on logo10.Panel LightI have a 19 inch monitor but it wouldn't matter if I had a 46 inch monitor because it really doesn't make much difference if your eyes are old and tired like mine are.Regards,DonaldS

What is the meaning of ICE light and RECOG and TAILFLOOD? When are they used and for what purpose?RegardsJan Friberg

Guest jbB737

>What is the meaning of ICE light and RECOG and TAILFLOOD?>When are they used and for what purpose?>The ice lights are two small bulbs mounted on the outboard side of the engine nacelles, aimed down the leading edge of the wing; used to detect wing ice accumulation at night.Recognition lights are small, rectangular bulbs mounted in the wingtips forward of the nav lights, aimed forward; used for increased visibilty of the airplane, they really don't light anything up.Tailflood lights are two small lights mounted underneath each side of the horizontal stabilizer, aimed at the vertical fin; used at night to illuminate the vertical tail surface for increased visibilty. Also known as logo lights on a Boeing since it lights up the airline's logo on the tail at night.Johnformer Mesa BE-1900 driver

><>>I'll check with our resident TurboProb pilot,Rob! >Have you forgotten this?RegardsJan Friberg

Guest jbB737

>><RPM'?>>Exactly what should I do?>>>>>>I'll check with our resident TurboProb pilot,Rob! >>>>Have you forgotten this?>This is an easy step on the engine run-up... run the power up to 1500 rpm, grab the blue prop control levers and pull them back until the revs drop a few hundred rpm, then push the prop control full forward. This is normally done 2-3 times for each engine and accomplishes 2 things; checks the prop governor (controller) to ensure that it's working correctly; flushes warm engine oil into the prop hub. The constant speed prop works better with warm oil in the hub rather than thick, sluggish cold oil... although even cold turbine oil is still pretty thin and runny.Johnformer 1900 driver

I had the same problem as you had. Got tired eyes reading the numbers and needles. I installed another panel. The guys from Friendly Panels made a panel for the Beech King Air 350 and the Baron 58. I bought this panel and installed the first one in the cockpit of the PMDG. The layout is a little different from a real Beechcraft 1900D but it is not so difficult to see it as a modified one. And what is more important is it very easy to read and to use. With the old panel I almost never flew the PMDG Beech and now it is one of my favorites. :) You can have a look at these panels at:http://www.friendlypanels.arrakis.es/index.htmIt may suite you too.Regards,Arjen van GroosThe Netherlands

Guest darrenecm

I find panel and gauge labelling and general lettering is a problem across ALL developers of add-ons. The solution in my mind is not to try to cram all guages onto one panel display to avoid having to run in resolutions like 1280 X 960. To me that kind of resolution is too demanding for the average user. I'd rather have clarity of cockpit than total precision and reaility. Creative use of multiple panels and easy click-spots to bring other sections of large panels into view are a good compromise.However, the one easily implemented thing that can alleviate some of the problems of identifying what controls are what when faced with poor legeibility of controls on panels is the one thing that ALL developers fail to make proper use of...TOOLTIPS.Microsoft Flight Simulator has a powerful tooltip facility that's built in and easy to use. Not only can it display simple labelling to help identify what a control or switch is, they can even display simple variable data such as a throttle percentage, flap setting etc.Quite why most developers fail to put tooltips on EVERY contros is beyond me. It's so inconsistently used too. More often than not you find some controls with tooltips but many others without. Tooltips not only help those with poorly legible text on their panels but also help newcomers get to grips with operating the aircraft without having to ALT-TAB out to the manual to find out where a control is.PMDG are one of the best developers out there and like I said, ALL developers are guilty of not using tooltips to the full so let's have this simple feature used extensively and we can all avoid a trip to the opticians :)- DE