Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bpilot

Drag required

Guest Bpilot

Hello, Captains,At times, when descending in VNAV, the FMC informs that "DRAG (is)REQUIRED", because of too high speed.What to do? Just press > and raise the speed brakes? In real airplanes, I don't think this is a normal procedure, since abnormal changes in attitude can cause serious body damages.Any info is quite welcomed.BPilot

Absolutely normal procedure. What abnormal attitude changes are you thinking of? Sure, you'll get a little buffeting, but nothing dangerous.....Cheers,S

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Guest Chief Wiggum

You can either use the speedbrakes or the gear to slow down ;)

Guest Zapper

Drag Required is a message only seen when the VNAV PTH is unable to be maintained by teh AFDS whilst keeping within 10 knots of the preselected DES SPEED on the DES page. On the NG it is seen quite often and unless the speed is getting way too high then it will probably be ignored if there is plenty of distance to run, say 40 miles or greater. Another option to correct the PATH is to go to LVL CHG and crank up the speed for a while. You will recapture teh PATH and then re-engage VNAV. Using a higher speed means more induced drag and so you blow some excess E nto the airstream.. not efficient but nor is SPD BRAKE.Rgds,

Guest stevevanda

If you go with LVL CHG and crank up the speed, you

I was just on a flight that used gear to hold speed. We were quite a ways out and I saw the spoilers up and heard the gear go down. After landing I asked the pilot and he said he had to make a steep descent because ATC kept us up higher longer because of traffic. So yeah, using the rubber airbrakes is quite alright.Tim Dobrowolsky

Guest Bpilot

Thanks, Tim,I always had the impression that using gear was a FS only trick, since in my many, many thousands of miles flown (as a passenger) through 5 continents and 44 countries, it never happened.To live is to learn...Regards from Brazil,BPilot

huh, Stephen - I really really hope you are aware of Brads, shall we say 'qualifications' to speak on this subject.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K