Sign in to follow this  
Guest meyomyx

TOGA - 60% N1 commanded at V2

Guest meyomyx

HiI've been developing some SIDSTAR files and hence departing many times from the same runway. It would seem that, if rotation and positive climb does not occur very promptly, approx 60% N1 is commanded - leading to a crash unless Auto throttle is disarmed.What seems to be happening is that I set the speed bug to V2 (which is incremented by 20kts). The aircraft is ruunning fairly heavy and if it is not rotated very promptly, the THR HOLD mode annunication changes to MCP (can't remember specific annunication here) - in other words it seem to suddenly decide to chase the speed set on the MCP (anticipating the aircraft accellerating presumably) at the point when you need max N1.I think that is what is happening.Provided I get the thing flying very sharply, we're OK. Otherwise, we visit some local housing estate!Am I doing something wrong here? I'm sure that this would not happen with the real FMS. It seems to relate to the conditions under which THR HOLD will disengage - and that should surely not be at that point.Someone is going to have an easy answer here - I can just sense it!

Guest meyomyx

by the way - it's Nick Kidd asking :)Cheers

Guest Erups

May it be that you have some "erratic" throttle readings?Anyway when takeing off, pitching manouver is usually initiated at V1, so that at Vr you are near liftoff angle of attack, and at V2 you are already climbing.Not that this should solve your problem anyway...

Guest meyomyx

I have a new yoke which is jitter free - no I think this is a problem of failing to achieve proper climb before arriving at V2 - which is then not increased by 20 kts just to compound the problem.V1 is point at which abort is theoretically possible. Vr is rotation speed (ie speed at which pitching manoever is made) with V2 minimum safe flying speed.I don't think rotation at V1 would normally be wise! Travelling along the runway at high alpha is not fun!..... unless PDMG program it differently! CheersNick :)

Guest HepburnUGA

>May it be that you have some "erratic" throttle readings?>Anyway when takeing off, pitching manouver is usually>initiated at V1, so that at Vr you are near liftoff angle of>attack, and at V2 you are already climbing.>Not that this should solve your problem anyway...Rotation is not started until Vr (the "r" stands for rotate).

Yes Jeff,I agree with that rotation of the aircraft should not commence before Vr. But some people around this forum seems to suggest you should start pulling the yoke ever so slightly at V1 for the rotation to start at Vr.Anyone know how this is done on "the-real-thing" out there in "the-real-world"? ;-)Cheers,

VR means rotate although sometimes V1 and VR are very close if not the same speed depending. Regardless one should not start pulling until one reaches VR. Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

Mats (et al),It all depends. On a dry runway V1 and VR are normally only a couple of knots apart, but it's a completely different ballgame on a wet runway. Take a look a the tables on page 1 - 15 of the manual, these are for the 738, but it's the same for the other models.So, I would also hesitate against accepting the "start rotating at V1" concept being promoted by some.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

GuysIt's not about "start rotating at V1". It's about preparing the aircraft by starting to move the yoke. Nothing else. If the aircraft has started to rotate before Vr then this is of course bad.Would be glad to get some "real-world" input on this matter. ;-)Well, what do I know? I'm only a amateur desktop pilot! :-)Cheers,

Guest meyomyx

Hang on a minute ......This talk about V speeds doesn't have a lot to do with the question -Why can the FMC command circa 60% N1 at such a critical phase of flight? I'd bet that Boeing didn't make that a possibility on the 737.Shouldn't happenAny thoughts?Nick Kidd

Nick,I would love to try to replicate this. In order for me to do that, can you give me a detailed rundown of your procedures from the time you start FS until it happens? Also please provide the state of the PMDG when you start i.e. cold and dark, engines running etc, and the initial fual and cargo/pax load.Thanks,

Guest meyomyx

Hi MatsI'm, somewhat puzzled by this. to recap - Approx 50% of the take offs I am making, MCP SPD is being annunicated somewhere between Vr and V2.VNKT - Tribhuvan is the airport - I've nearly finished the SIDSTAR file for all to use. Its at 4300 ft BUT it's a very bumpy runway. My theory is that at or around rotation, the aircraft becomes momentarily airborne which commands MCP SPD but as the aircraft is still accellerating yet level, the FMC thinks it should retard the throttles to avoid busting the MCP speed setting. If you manage to achieve climbout, N1 is gradually increased - presumably as the FMC decides we need to climb. The MCP speed is incremented by 20kts as expected.So; it seems as though the switch to MCP SPD is being allowed to happen BEFORE the aircraft is established in the climb - sometimes whilst still on the runway.Half the time, I can make the transition to climb OK - so I think it's to do with the relationship between the parameters under which MCP SPD is selectedBecause I'm repeatedly flying the same SID to test, I use a saved configuration here - all up and running 737-800. 10% flap. 59.5% fuel in wing tanks - 8.6% centre tank with a cargo of 12714.14 giving an AUW of 41857. V speeds are 128 137 147 respectively.I'll get back with more info if you're interested.Nick Kidd

Guest Paragon

I have had this happen also. I was going down the runway at nice airport with everything set correctly, and just as I was rotating the engine spools down and I couldn't take off. I thought it was me doing something wrong, but I couldn't see what I was supposed to do wrong...glad I'm not the only one.-Mikkel

"I thought it was me doing something wrong, but I couldn't see what I was supposed to do wrong...glad I'm not the only one."Your problem is probably something completely different, Mikkel. Did you read the first message at the top of the forum? Have you installed the interim patch?Cheers.Ian.

Guest Paragon

Yes I did, but I must confess I don't have them 50% of the times more like 20%...hard to put a percentage on it. I have noticed though, that it usually happens when I rotate a little later than when it's called by the co-pilot.-Mikkel