Sign in to follow this  
Guest davecing

Problems With Descent

Guest davecing

HiIm having problems descending with my PMDG 737 700, I follow my flight plan no problems, but ATC seem to always tell me to start descent before ToD, I set say 10000 on the MCP press VNav and nothing happens with ATC giving me the constant please expidite your descent over and over, I have to give in and set descent (say -2000 feet per min) on the vertical speed on the MCP, consequently my speed just slowly increases very annoying when I want to maintain 250 knots below 10000 feet...I have tried the Des Now on the Descent page but at a controlled descent of 1000 feet per minute its just to slow. I hope I ve made sense with all this, apologies if I havent. Appreciate anyone telling me what Im doing wrong.Regards

"Appreciate anyone telling me what Im doing wrong."You're not doing anything wrong, Mr/Mrs/Miss X ???? This may happen in real life. I suggest using FL CHG, keeping an eye on speed limits as you descend. Use speedbrakes as required if ATC still complains.Cheers.Ian.P.S. Please check out this forum's rules... For example, a signature (real name) is required on all messages ;-)

Or, you could go to the DES page on the FMC and press "DES NOW" That should fix your problem.

Guest SAS784

Also, remember that original ATC within FS may not be familiar with your descent procedure in the PMDG 737 if flying a STAR approach. A STAR usually takes you on a slightly different route than what FS wants you to fly. So that's also an issue in this case. I normally can't use IFR flight procedures in FS (offline mode that is) since there's no resemblence of the flight plans between original FS and the real one computed in the FMC.

Guest davecing

Thanks for the above....and my name is David

" I suggest using FL CHG" I don't know what your flying of late Ian, but the NG has a LVL CH button, not a FL CHG button. I bet too much time in the PIC 767 forum has confused you ;-) If you want to keep yourself in VNAV you will use the DES NOW function. You could also as easy go LVL CH or V/S as you perfer but of course you will not be in VNAV. DES NOW will give you a 1000 FPM des until you capture (run into) the original des path profile thence resume profile.Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

"I don't know what your flying of late Ian, but the NG has a LVL CH button, not a FL CHG button."??? Hey, is this the same Randy who said he was quitting the forum ??? :-)I think we both need a break, Randy.... or a good spell checker. Shouldn't that be "LVL CHG"? (and "you're")I think we'll let Dave decide who gave the most helpful answer ;-)Cheers.Ian.P.S. "I bet too much time in the PIC 767 forum has confused you ;-)"Not the forum, per se, just PIC (The 737NG is just too hard to master.... but bring on the 744, PMDG! That's my "baby".)

Guest Nickman

The default FS2004 IFR is horribly made with no room for customization. I fly VFR because the IFR is horribly made. I remember once they sent me circling the airport without clearing me to land.Nick B.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg--AMD Athlon XP 3200+ @ 2.2 Ghz400W Power supply3x 80 mm Case FansSoyo VIA KT600 Dragon PlusnVidia GeForce FX 5200 128 mb2 x 512 PC400100 GB Western DigitalMicrosoft Sidewinder Precision 2

Guest RichR4

Are there any airline pilots out there that work on the 737-800-900 aircraft? The issue of slowing these aircraft and descending keeps coming up. Is it standard operating practice to use speed brakes and sometimes the gear to slow down in the terminal area and below 10,000 feet? Just curious..Rich Rossler

Guest gofly

Once i have heard an airliner (737-800 from sobelair) landing at EBOS with a speed of 220kts until the outer marker ONO witch is 5.2 NM from the field. If you want to reduce the speed to Vref you have to use the landing gear to slow down the airplane. hope this helps.Gino