Sign in to follow this  
Guest NorthPilot

SOP on 733 and Trivia #1

Guest NorthPilot

Hi,I am back from the usual 4 on_off_round_you_name_it_batter :) As a note I am on the 733.While meeting some bumpy air during approach in LWSK I tought that you would be interesting in how we do it according to our SOP. Some of you may already know the tricks so I appologize in advance to those.Additionally, I will from time to time post trivia according to what I meet during the flights. Of course, if there is any interest for that :)Off to the Turbulent Air Penetration not as a checklist but as checklist but as it is reflected on this flight. It was clear day with some isolated cumulus congestus and we expected some bumps made by raising air due to 35C and mountains in vicinity. The ride was smooth till appx. 7000ft when we encountered first slight jolts. After a while we heard the familiar slamming of the food troleys ;)Anyway, we were already doing about 220 KIAS and setting up for approach to runway 34 so the speed back to TAPS of 280 was not needed. However, the AP tripped off and we switched off the A/T. CWS was not selected as I wished to "feel" the plane (altough CWS is recommended for TAP). It was decided to increase the approach speed by 10KTS as the IAS was jumping by appx +/- 3-5 kts.So, everything was set up, harnesses tightened, cabin secured, AP off, A/T off, CWS not selected, approach speed increased and landing performed rather hard ;)As you can see there is no magic to it.What we heard was complaints of FAs due to the "early" turbulence encounter as they barely managed to clear the cabin before the jolts starting hiting. Result was some broken glass (business class) and unhappy pax that could not get his bear (again business class) ;)Now off to the trivia (mind I am on 733):If the anti skid is inoperativ following weights must be reduced:Correct answer is? :)a) Climb Limit Gross Weight:( Field Length Limit GWc) Climb Limit GW and Field Length Limit GW, ord) Field Length Limit GW and Obstacle Clearance GWIf you don't fancy this kind of writing tell me! :)Have a nice flight!Aleksandar

Guest ba747heavy

I would guess B. No idea why though :) Keep the trivia coming :)

AlexandarJust love stories like this! And trivias are great to.I haven't done much thinking about the answer so here's my shot from the hip.My guess is answer :(. Antiskid INOP will increase your distance to stop in case of a RTO. Thus Field Length Limit GW have to be reduced.What do I win? ;-)Cheers,

Guest LLgaz

I'd say the answer is B too.....And for the record: YES!! If Fred and Mats jumped off a bridge, I'd follow them too. :-)

Guest NorthPilot

Hi,Any one else? Fred, Mats and Anthony, very close but you missed something ;) I give you some more time to think :) Do not forget the anti skid is working also without doing RTO ;)I will keep these trivias and stories coming then. I hope they will get all of our planes with fresh paint soon. They surely need it :-badteeth Have a nice flight!Aleksandar

Guest LLgaz

hmmm.......I'd say D then.Do I win a million bucks? (And I don't mean the animal :) )

D is the answerOh and llgaz - the prize is a Kidney Stone polished and mounted - after passing that is :-)

Guest LLgaz

Not sure how much polishing and mounting you can do with fragments Andy. But you're welcome to give it the ole college try... :)

Guest NorthPilot

Hi,Could not answer before since I was enjoying my days off :) On monday I am back on 733 and I will post new story and trivia tomorrow.The correct answer on this trivia #1 is D.Congrats to all with correct answer. The gift is a free cockpit tour if you happen to be on my flight :-cool That is if you are interested in 733 and 734.Have a nice flight!Aleksandar

Guest Valid_Andy

Aleksandar I think we all love trivia and storys:D Keep 'em coming!2 questions, which airline do you fly for, and how can I come in contact with you because I think you would be a great help to me for a little project I am doing...If you want of course! Please email me at andy.warden@dsl.pipex.com - We are trying to create the most accurate 737-300 to -500 models available for flight sim, and we could really do with the real world knowledge! Thankyou, and I can't wait for you next story!

Guest NorthPilot

Hi Andy,I am flying for company from former Yugoslavia. I think it is not allowed to use this forum to market companies so I will omitt the name. However there are not so many down here so I think you will get the picture.I will help as much as I can but unfortunately I cannot promiss much of my time.I hope this helps.Have a nice flight!Aleksandar